Menu

I just completely lost it with my DD8...

Having kids is tough. You can't believe those pretty little faces can pronounce some of the ugly things they say :( If you don't want to spank, running.... jumping jacks... all sorts of exercise can work well. (Having her do pushups.... ect. Although I suppose you could, too :)) And just trying not to react when they're such little twits :(

A wise couple I know said that disciplining their daughter became easier when they not only saw her as their daughter, but also their sister in Christ.

My daughter is 14yrs old... Good times and Not.... it's hard!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Wow - it must be in the air. I lost it tonight on both of my kids. No spanking, but I'm pretty sure the neighbours probably heard me yelling at them.

I am staying up all night... to get them up at 4 a.m. to start our day - with exercising. So sick and tired of the little buggers coming up with every excuse in the book to not get their butts to bed, or come out approximately 400 times every night. Bedtime is (no exaggeration) a 3 hour long ordeal the past couple of months. They are certainly old enough to get to bed and STAY there and both went to bed better as toddlers. :confused:

ETA: And this is with bedtime snuggles, back rubs, ear rubs, back scratches, etc. It's not like they're not getting attention at bedtime.

Edited by fraidycat

If you don't normally spank and feel it's not a good idea, then I would apologize for doing it. If you don't have a problem with it, then just let it go. I do expect some grumbling at that age but long-term disrespect is just inappropriate. I always used me and DH as examples. I would tell her that you and your DH would never treat each other like that because you love each other and she's sending you a very mean message when she treats you like that.

My youngest went through a very bossy stage. In fact, she is still like that a bit but not nearly as bad as when she was younger. I just told her that no one would be her friend if she treated them that way and she actually did lose a friend over it. That sort of woke her up.

I also didn't do long bedtimes. Instead, we found something the kids liked to do in bed. My son liked to read a while and my daughters liked to listen to music (soft music like lullaby and Reiki).

We all have parenting regrets. Today's a new day. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

A friend once told me to "Draw a bigger circle." She meant, know your triggers. When the kids came close to my triggers (circle), I'd lose it. So I learned more about recognizing when I was feeling anxious, irritated, "ramped up." Being aware of how I was feeling allowed me to do something to get myself under better control before I was in danger of getting out of control. Does that make sense? I felt safer in a bigger circle.

I agree, it must be in the air! My tantrum occurred last night. The thing that ticked me off the most was that (during my tantrum) I accidentally spilled a glass of milk onto an upholstered chair. My daughter asked me this morning how long I'd spent cleaning that up. :glare:

Now if anyone has any ideas on how to teach kids to understand "this is REALLY not the time for that behavior" . . . :bigear:.

We all have parenting regrets. Today's a new day. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

A friend once told me to "Draw a bigger circle." She meant, know your triggers. When the kids came close to my triggers (circle), I'd lose it. So I learned more about recognizing when I was feeling anxious, irritated, "ramped up." Being aware of how I was feeling allowed me to do something to get myself under better control before I was in danger of getting out of control. Does that make sense? I felt safer in a bigger circle.

I like that.

I'll see if it helps here :)

Thanks!

She has been way over the line with disrespect lately. I spanked her and said some tough things. I feel about sick over it but I am still so angry.

I've felt that way before with my oldest son. I can tell you, with him I have perfected the art of the apology. He pushes my buttons! I don't apologize for disciplining him, because disrespect, etc. needs discipline, but I certainly apologize for tone, for getting too angry (I don't think it's wrong for a child to see that a parent is angry, but there's anger and then there's anger!) and for other things that are just not right. For us, what seems to work is a heart felt apology without any disclaimers (no, "I'm sorry, but you shouldn't have done that!" apologies). I just say, "I'm sorry I yelled at you. That was wrong. Sometimes Mommies have to work at self-control, too!" and then we just move on!

:grouphug::grouphug: Sorry you've had rough days.

FraidyCat, your children are lucky ducks. I tell mine to go to bed & we tuck them in, but no rubs, scratches, etc. However, if they dawdle, they go to bed early the next night. ;)

But aside from spanking them which will be next if they don't smarten up, even if we do put them to bed early (and we've tried that) they STILL have excuses. Honestly, we've even bought them new sleeping surfaces (hammocks) because they both complained about their beds being "not comfy". We went and tested out some hammocks at a local store for them to see if they liked them and they did and couldn't wait to get them.

So after spending over $400 on hammocks, stands, and shipping last week to try to fix their bed issue and still dealing with all their bedtime crap this week, I LOST MY MIND. I don't think they'll push so far tonight. At least I hope not - I don't think they enjoyed crying themselves to sleep.