Menu

Questions about newbies and buying from the boards

I've had several encounters lately where I post something *hot* and, within minutes, I have PMs from complete newbs. I know this is fine and we were all newbs at some point, but I sometimes hesitate to post FS ads because of it - sometimes the only posts this person has is in response to a for sale ad... and sometimes I know from previous posts that there are other (active) members of the site who would like the book.

Would it ever be considered offensive/unethical/tactless to mention in a post you've made about a book that you are willing to part with it, before posting it for sale - thus giving dibs to the active members viewing that thread for advice or a heads up on the book, before posting it for sale for any taker? I kind of feel... I dunno... partial to selling to active members before considering selling to someone who only has activity buying materials and I've had "seller's regret" a few times lately when a book has been purchased by a newb and then one of the active members PMs me about the book - and it's gone

Of course, this could just be some weird random thought coming from a sleep deprived woman with a headache; in which case I beg you not to quote so I can delete it later.

I haven't sold much here, but I've bought a few things. I think some people only join the boards because the For Sale board is recommended in other places.

I also think that you have the right to sell or not sell to anyone for any reason. There doesn't even have to be a formal announcement IMO, you could just message them and tell them that you are only comfortable selling to someone with "X" amount of posts.

I'm pretty new and I wouldn't be offended or surprised if someone took a day to respond to a PM and then said it was sold. I think that if you don't find someone else to sell to and decide not to sell to someone unless they have a min. # of posts, you should tell the newbie that so they aren't confused when the FS post remains up.

You don't have to justify your decisions. It doesn't say anywhere that it has to be first come, first serve.

Once promised, however, it would be bad to change your mind.

:iagree: No harm in waiting a day or two before responding to posts in any order you choose. I want to be kind to newbies but they are also the most likely to flake out on a purchase, so I see nothing wrong in giving priority to more frequent posters.

that said, I haven't been inundated with newbies on a regular basis either, so you must be posting some hot items! :)

I don't even like to look at the For Sale boards. I almost never recognize any names. Even when I did buy something once, the person was upset that I didn't post positive feedback quickly. That nagging was so annoying, so I don't think I ever posted postivie feedback. I'm not even sure. Maybe I did, but it was under duress. It was a fine transaction, but the pms telling me to post feedback turned me off. Not to mention at first I couldn't even figure out how to post feedback.

If someone I 'know' on the main boards posted, I would be more likely to purchase items. I think a person should have at least 100 posts-- posts which are participartory in nature. Not just, "I agree!" etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't even like to look at the For Sale boards. I almost never recognize any names. Even when I did buy something once, the person was upset that I didn't post positive feedback quickly. That nagging was so annoying, so I don't think I ever posted postivie feedback. I'm not even sure. Maybe I did, but it was under duress. It was a fine transaction, but the pms telling me to post feedback turned me off. Not to mention at first I couldn't even figure out how to post feedback.

If someone I 'know' on the main boards posted, I would be more likely to purchase items. I think a person should have at least 100 posts-- posts which are participartory in nature. Not just, "I agree!" etc.

I don't think I've posted feedback before either. Lol.

:iagree: No harm in waiting a day or two before responding to posts in any order you choose. I want to be kind to newbies but they are also the most likely to flake out on a purchase, so I see nothing wrong in giving priority to more frequent posters.

that said, I haven't been inundated with newbies on a regular basis either, so you must be posting some hot items! :)

I think it was timing. Lol.

I originally came here for two reasons -- 1, an active member here & on another board said someone here was asking about hs'ing where I currently live, so I came to answer that question. But 2, because the other board I used to be a part of did away with their Used For Sale/Buy board, and I needed a place to buy stuff.

In the beginning, I was aware that people here would have no idea who I was and might be uncomfortable selling to me, so I only responded to FS ads that were posted by those I recognized from the other board, and introduced myself to them with my "there" name and my "here" name.

I would completely understand, even still, someone taking a day or two to answer PMs. That allows the seller time to hear from several potential buyers and go from there. At the same time, I'm grateful that some do feel comfortable selling to newbies.

Another option might be to check the WTB before posting a FS ad -- then if an active user is looking and has posted, you can offer it in response to that ad rather than or before posting and opening it up to newbies. Whatever you decide, I don't think there's anything wrong with selling to those you are more familiar with.

Another option might be to check the WTB before posting a FS ad -- then if an active user is looking and has posted, you can offer it in response to that ad rather than or before posting and opening it up to newbies. Whatever you decide, I don't think there's anything wrong with selling to those you are more familiar with.

I was thinking this as well. I'm always incredibly grateful when someone responds to one of my posts on the WTB board. I wish more sellers did, though I know it can be a pain. But that way you have some more control over who you're selling to.

I'm in the "newbies are people too" group though :lol: I don't mind selling to anyone, as long as I'm getting paid and they're getting materials they need.