Menu

We use and like AAS but I think ds9 needs something independent

walkermamaof4

Any recs? He waits around to do AAS with older sibs as he is a better speller than they are. He'd be thrilled to do a program on his own. He is a natural speller I'd say. Is there something he can do and really learn from with little to no input from me?

Would Phonetic Zoo work? Has anyone here used and loved it?

Edited by walkermamaof4

Spelling Power is a great independent program... You assess him and he works on whatever level he's at... It only takes 15 minutes a day- the first 5 minutes, you test him, and the next 5 minutes he studies the words he missed on the test using a 10 step study method... The last 5 minutes he does skill building activities independently... Another plus is that it's just one book that you use through the high school level! We just started using this curriculum this year and we love it so far...

I switched from AAS to R&S Spelling, and it's been a great fit. Still teaches similar rules and phonics, but it's independent. It is, of course, unbashedly Christian, if that's an issue.

SWO would also be a good solution, since you have a natural speller.

Really, probably any workbook type spelling program would work well in this case. You could also take a look at HTTS, as it is O-G based (like AAS) but has harder words.