Menu

Update on Oh My Achin' Back

Well thanks to the urging of you sweet ladies, I actually broke down and went to the Urgent Care Walk In. The doctor took one look at me-- didn't even examine me other than check my leg reflexes, and sent me for an MRI of my lower back, which was excruciatingly painful to endure, though I"m not claustrophobic so the tube didn't bother me-- the flat, hard surface did.

So results show a bulging disc on the right side, and arthritis which dr. said is probably due to years of competitive riding (hunter/jumpers) and softball (catcher.) Sent me home with lots of good drugs, a work note to stay out for a WEEK (!!!) and a referral to a spinal orthopedist. Dr. thinks it's "non-surgical." Um, yeah-- it's definitely "non-surgical" if I have anything to say about it! :001_smile:

Anyway, thanks for your support and concern. I was lying there on the MRI table today thinking about how we don't even know each other, but it's like we have our own support system, to whom we turn to celebrate, mourn, cry, laugh, and seek advice. How truly blessed I feel to have each one of you. (and no, that's not the meds talking!)

astrid

Well thanks to the urging of you sweet ladies, I actually broke down and went to the Urgent Care Walk In. The doctor took one look at me-- didn't even examine me other than check my leg reflexes, and sent me for an MRI of my lower back, which was excruciatingly painful to endure, though I"m not claustrophobic so the tube didn't bother me-- the flat, hard surface did.

So results show a bulging disc on the right side, and arthritis which dr. said is probably due to years of competitive riding (hunter/jumpers) and softball (catcher.) Sent me home with lots of good drugs, a work note to stay out for a WEEK (!!!) and a referral to a spinal orthopedist. Dr. thinks it's "non-surgical." Um, yeah-- it's definitely "non-surgical" if I have anything to say about it! :001_smile:

Anyway, thanks for your support and concern. I was lying there on the MRI table today thinking about how we don't even know each other, but it's like we have our own support system, to whom we turn to celebrate, mourn, cry, laugh, and seek advice. How truly blessed I feel to have each one of you. (and no, that's not the meds talking!)

astrid

Praying. I had this misery too and it finally healed about 2 weeks ago. Nine long, miserable months, where I sometimes broke out the meds left over from surgery recovery.

I have a bulging disk in my neck. (Had? I assume they stop bulging at some point??? I am not in pain anymore--physical therapy helped in the most amazing way.)

Glad you have some answers and hope you feel better soon.

Yeah, conservative management (when appropriate) often has better long term outcomes than surgical management. Just be aware that a surgeon sometimes has a vested interest in recommending surgery. You may want to ask about pursuing a course of PT (if appropriate for your own individual scenario). If you google, there are quite a few studies comparing long-term outcomes with conservative management via PT to surgical management. Surgical sometimes provides quicker relief, but longer term, PT often has very good outcomes with lower risk of complications, etc.

I thought I got off easy with the 'non surgical' dx the first time... bulging disc... I did 3 intense months of physical therapy then just took it easy for THREE YEARS... most of that time I was in PAIN.

Finally I went back to the Dr.. he said that most Drs (including himself) go the 'non surgical' route the first time they see a patient with a bulging disk. If the patient comes back they know the patient's pain is REAL! :001_huh: My pain was REAL the first time I went in.

I wasted 3 years in pain!

My pain was gone when I woke up from surgery... well my tummy was sore from the incision--but my back/legs did not hurt! 2 week recovery--then a few months in a light weigh brace and orders NOT to muck the horse stall or load/unload dishwasher or clothes washer...

Don't dread surgery-- they are MUCH better now than they were a few years ago... (not as many have to have additional surgical 'revisions').

Once you have a bulge your disk will start to deteriorate. Good physical therapy can slow down the deterioration rate...

When you have a bulge and arthritis you need to be aware that you body will try to 'help' by filling in the disk space with bone-- and bone spurs can add additional pain. My MRI did not show a bone spur--but the surgeon found a HUGE one poking into my spinal cord... without surgery I would have been paralyzed.

Listen to your body!

What sorts of exercise and stretching do you do?

I'd love some info---- Im still pretty much in agony!

astrid

Astrid, I do three types which has decreased my pain by probably 80% or more:

1. Cardio--lots of it--ellipitcal, treadmill, recumbent bike (I have to do recumbent because the position that my back has to be in to do the regular bike hurts like crazy). My ortho told me I needed to walk to help my pain. He was right. All the above exercises make a huge difference.

2. Core work on an exercise ball. My PT gave me a bunch, but probably if you google it, you will find some:) I also do planks and pushups. Anything to make my core strong.

3. Weight lifting. Lifting heavy weights has strengthened my whole body, and I think that has taken tons of pressure off my spine. My spine doesn't have to do all the work anymore, because the rest of my body is so strong. That eases the load on my bulging discs.

I've also lost weight in the process--getting off 16 pounds of fat has helped too! lol :D

Does that help? :) :grouphug:

I just found this thread. Thanks for the update. I tend to agree with Jann they don't agressively treat at first. After my surgery my dr actually confessed how embarrassed he was because it was really bad. He drew it out for 3 full months. My MRI had not appeared that bad and I did not complain much. I am way too polite. If he had understood how much pain I was in he would have operated much sooner. I am only saying this so that you know to stick up for yourself -- if you are in pain say so! I know you don't want surgery but for me it was life changing.

I had a host of issues with my back (going back to childhood). I was always told that exercise was good for the pain. Not for me. If I can't stand up straight and am in agony, then walking on a treadmill is not going to help. Just getting into a car was torture. One time it was so bad that I had to go through the emergency exit at the gym. I was in so much pain I could not walk to the front door. It was either emergency exit or a stretcher.

I was always told not to have back surgery. It turned out to be the best thing I ever did. After suffering with back pain for 20+ years I am about 95% better.

Did you see an orthopedist or a neurosurgeon?