Menu

Sling rec's?

My opinion.....

A Ring Sling for when baby is under 6mo.

A Wrap is good fro same age but id use it if i was going out on longer outing

A Mei Tai for 6mo+. Why? Because its SO easy and can be used up to TODDLER size! Front carry, Hip, Back. Love Love Love it. I have 2 actually.

I loved my Kozy mei tai, but if you don't feel up to the learning curve (for back carrying), I don't think you can go wrong with an Ergo.

for back carry-

I tie it around my waist (panel in back). With baby on my hip i lean over and swing baby around my back as i lean. When leaned over i pull up the panel, stand up and tie.

Is that how you do it?

Ditto the Mai tai. I had a Kozy with DD and made my own for DS. I did it as PP described for back carry when he was little (though mostly front carried, and had no trouble nursing in it once he could control his head well). Now, he's trained and will walk up behind me while I'm squatting so I can pull him up onto my back. We commute. On the bus and I will keep wearing him at least as long as he weighs less than my casebooks!

for back carry-

I tie it around my waist (panel in back). With baby on my hip i lean over and swing baby around my back as i lean. When leaned over i pull up the panel, stand up and tie.

Is that how you do it?

It's been awhile, but yeah. I recall it being scary the first few times.

I didn't get a ring sling until my only DC was probably over a year old? older? Didn't work for me at that age. For the time period when baby is nursing constantly and can't quite sit up yet, I carried him in a polyester scarf-weight short wrap(about the length of a ring sling,) kinda like a rebozo, but it was see through. I tied it in a slip knot (

)

After about 3-4 months, especially for sleeping, but sometimes for nursing, I loved my mei tai. I bought the mei tai baby brand because I didn't like the idea of buckles, and because their's were cheap back then.

I bought cotton cloth to make my own wrap from joanns. It wasn't as stretchy as the moby, but I wasn't able to figure it out on the back until my DS was close to a year old. When it comes to wraps, it's practice makes perfect. I am "plus sized" and it helped for me to just tie the (not-too-stretchy) wrap on me loosely, stick DS in, then tighten the straps. With a stretchy wrap(moby), it should be a piece of cake to squeeze baby in the wrap.

My very favorite carrier was a Kozy mei tai as well. I loved that thing and had a hard time parting with it, even when I knew we were done having babies :crying: I highly recommend them.

I practiced sliding youngest into the back carry while kneeling on my bed, so if she fell, she didn't have far to go. It became second nature very, very quickly. I loved freaking people out doing it in public :lol: I carried her in it until around 18 months very comfortably. We only stopped using it because she realized that walking was a choice she could make. After that, she was done being carried.

My very favorite carrier was a Kozy mei tai as well. I loved that thing and had a hard time parting with it, even when I knew we were done having babies :crying: I highly recommend them.

I kept mine 'cause I figured there'd be grandkids someday. :tongue_smilie:

the last ring sling i had was my fave - huge sling so good for older babies. yes, they go through a phase where they want to look outwards and are not big enough for hip, but then it comes back for a while. still, i'm not sure i would invest in this sling for only the second half of a child. but i loved mine SOO much! So much cloth I could totally cover myself while getting in and out of my shirt to nurse - and i'm big, so thats awkward

http://www.heart2heart.ca/