Menu

Displaying musical instruments

Help me out. My husband and daughter have decided that they are musical. It's easy enough to keep the keyboard in dds room, and the piano won't budge, but I keep finding her ukulele and his mandolin just lying around. There's talk of adding something else with strings (Can't remember. NOT musical) that is similar.

I have empty wall space around the piano. Can I just buy some sort of hangers or mounty shelfy things so I can put them away? Does it harm the instrument to hang there? I tried putting them in respective bedrooms, but they just walk back to the living room when I'm not looking. They're pretty enough, but I just wanted to see if anyone had advice before I looked at amazon. I think they'd look nice hanging at an angle.

Oh yes, we've had all kinds of instruments lining the walls. I consider them a "badges of honor!" :D

There are adjustable hooks/shelves and then ones specifically for different kinds of instruments. My only suggestion is that with some instruments that respond poorly to humidity, you check with the manufacturer for specific storage instructions. Some will need to be kept in cases. Others, as long as the humidity conditions of the house are fairly steady, can be out and looking beautiful on your walls. Our son displays his classical guitar, but with a "humidifier" hooked to it. It's a gorgeous instrument and I love looking at it.

My flute and piccolo are displayed as well as dh's grandfather's violin.

Faith

I friend of mine hangs her guitar and ukulele with something like this. I'm thinking it doesn't harm the instrument to be hung up like that.

:iagree: We hang ds's guitar on the wall with one of those wall hangers, and it works great. I got it for $14 at a local music store, but you can probably find them cheaper.

Hubby refuse to put any nail in the wall. Our kids violins are in their cases leaning against the side of the piano. Hubby's clarinet is in the clarinet case next to all the music scores. My chromatic harmonica is inside the piano bench. We also have a wooden flute that is next to hubby's clarinet.

Luckily we have no space in our house for a drum set until we can find a bigger home. I would like to acquire a harp.

We have a couple of things like this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s-Gear-Tubular-Guitar-Stand-107227639-i1322954.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla

They are adjustable so you can use them for different sizes. I've seen ones that go on the wall.

We keep most of our stuff inside cases though.

We have those too. I keep the guitars in front of the fireplace where they will not be knocked over.

My dad has most of his banjos/guitars/mandolins hanging on the wall over the piano. He just used a nail with a loop of twine tied around the neck of the instrument. It hasn't hurt them any. We bought a wall mounted hook for DD's violin. It has a padded spot to hang the neck and a knob to hang the bow off of. I am looking forward to not having any more toddlers or babies around so that we can get a cello stand for DS. Taking that thing out of the case is a royal pain.

Thanks for the tips. Just when I was ready to officially declare us a Non-Musical Family, Dh and DD went all in with he strings. There is talk of bringing in a banjo or a mandocello (which I thought he made up). I'd prefer DH spent more time playing the doumbek so I can practice my zils, but he seems to be obsessed with these strings in a way he never was with the drum.

Decorating with musical instruments falls in the same category as decorating with books here, which is to say that I consider it the perfect way to accessorize my home. Really, what could be prettier? Also, I find that instruments at-the-ready are the instruments most often picked up for impromptu playing, which is the best kind. :001_smile:

Hanging doesn't harm certain instruments. That is a nice way to display, have available. IME, musicians tune their instruments each time they pick up to play. As long as you have tuners etc., it should be fine to hang them however you wish.

I love the Ukes and whatnot in the living room. :) It makes me happy to see them.

I also have an upright bass as part of my furniture, plus a keyboard, plus a piano.

I live in an old farmhouse. Space is not extravagant.

I do like things tidy, but I want our home to represent who we are.

Edited by LibraryLover