Menu

Calling all Gluten-Free folks!

I've been GF for just over 3 weeks now, and it's gone remarkably smoothly. However, I have a big challenge coming up, and I could use some brainstorming help.

This weekend, I'll be attending a Girl Scout leader training session at a local GS camp. Part of the training entails cooking over a fire. Unfortunately, when they provided me with the list of the food they (we) will be cooking, hardly any of it will work for me. I need to brainstorm some ideas for alternatives.

I will arrive on Saturday morning, having had breakfast at home. Those of us staying for the overnight training are supposed to pack our own lunches anyway, so that's not an issue. I need to think of what to do about Saturday's supper, and Sunday's breakfast and lunch. I am not entirely sure whether I will have access to also cook my own foods, or whether there will only be one pot for the whole group. I'm not sure how many leaders will be there. I can bring a cooler, but chances are good that the area where we'll be cooking will be some distance away from the cars and cabins, so I need to be able to fit anything I bring to prepare in a backpack.

The planned menu is:

Sat. supper--"Chicken Dumplings"--basically a can of (wheat-containing) soup, broth, and canned biscuits on top

Sun. breakfast--Toad in the hole (fried eggs cooked inside a piece of toast) and bacon.

Sun. lunch--Tacos in a bag--Doritos with pre-cooked taco meat and fillings. Ticks on a Toilet Seat--bagel with cream cheese and raisins, walking salad (apples, raisins, PB)

I am thinking that I will bring some corn tortillas, as those are fine at room temperature. I can use them in place of the bagels and toast. I will also cook up a large batch of bacon so that I can have extra for Sunday's breakfast, and I'll take some cut up fruit and cheese as well. I need protein in order to stick with this eating plan. I'll also take my own bag of Fritos to use in place of the Doritos.

I'm not sure about the precooked meat. Should I make my own, in order to avoid any possible gluten? Or are most taco seasonings GF?

I'm also totally stumped about what to do for Saturday's dinner, since I don't know for sure if I'll have access to the fire to cook my own meal.

Ideas? :bigear:

Can you get yourself a loaf of Udi's bread (pricy, but probably worth it in this scenario) and some PB&J? What about some canned GF soup of your own? I don't mind some soups cold, or maybe you can bring a hot pot to plug in somewhere to heat your soup? Some canned tuna/salmon and a small, unopened container of mayo to make tuna and (GF) crackers?

Personally, I'd focus on bringing a variety of non-perishable snack-type foods for this, even if they didn't constitute a typical dinner meal. I'd also feel comfortable with harder cheeses (Swiss, Asiago, parmesan) kept in a cooler for awhile.

Edited by Sweet Morning Air

You're sure you'll have a way to keep things cool?

I think I'd forget the idea of a dinner type dinner, let alone trying to match their foods, and focus on protein rich non-perishable foods myself. I'd be thinking peanut butter and jelly, canned tuna with gf crackers perhaps, nuts if they are allowed, apple sauce and bananas for carbs, etc. My son loves gluten free granola bars but he has to be nut free too so is more limited than you might be.

Essentially I'd be bringing myself a lot of non-perishable snacks.

I would not assume the taco seasonings would be gluten free unless you can check the packaging and prep yourself. Actually, I'd not want to eat anything anyone prepared due to cross contamination concerns.

I'd simply pack a salad for Sat dinner. You can bake rolls at home and take a few along.

I don't know how careful you have to be with cross contamination. If you're not too concerned then you can be more lax. If you must avoid contamination at all costs then I wouldn't eat anything others provide.

I'd simply pack a salad for Sat dinner. You can bake rolls at home and take a few along.

I don't know how careful you have to be with cross contamination. If you're not too concerned then you can be more lax. If you must avoid contamination at all costs then I wouldn't eat anything others provide.

Oh gosh, I totally didn't register that you were arriving on Saturday, not Friday! Yes, in that case, I'd pack a nice, big, hearty salad as well--one with lots of protein to keep you going (chicken, pecans, cheese, etc.)

Thanks for the ideas! I like the idea of a big salad, but it will have to sit probably 9-10 hours before I eat it, since I will have to get it ready very early Saturday morning before I leave. I can't really count on having time to prep items once I am there.

I suppose I could put everything in baggies and throw it together last second. Maybe at would be a better plan for Sunday lunch. I know I can have access to a cooler while I am there, but I will have to put everything in a backpack (insulated lunchbox)to carry down to the place where we will eat. I expect to spend the majority of the time away from the cabin/cooler. It will just be me and my backpack.

I hadn't even thought about gf bread! D'oh! I have been cutting way back on carbs in general, so I have gotten away from sandwiches.

Fwiw, cross-contamination isn't really a concern for me. I just need to avoid outright sources of gluten.