Menu

Question about history cycle~please weigh in

4ofus

I have 2 boys, 8 & 9 & we began hs last year in 2nd & 3rd grade. We started with the Ancients & this year we are doing the Middle Ages (3rd & 4th grade). We take a pretty relaxed approach to this & are enjoying ourselves. We won't be speeding up, so it'll take us all year to get through the Middle Ages.

I know my biggest should be starting the cycle over & more in depth next year but we haven't finished our first trip through~I'm not sure the best way to handle it. I know ultimately it's just whatever I want, but I'd like to hear some thoughts to clarify my thinking. I'd also like to keep the 2 boys together in history subject matter, even if each is approaching the study differently.

So, what's the consensus? Start over? Trudge ahead w/Early Modern Times? Skip to Modern Times? Will my 5th grader need to move out of SOTW? Or is it enough to use SOTW as long as we supplement with additional reading material? He already uses Kingfisher while my younger uses Usborne. We don't, however, do as much history writing as is recommended. We do the questions & narrations orally, but I only ask them to write them sometimes, not every week.

I know I'm making this harder than it needs to be, but I am SUCH a 'finish the book' person!! It's hard to know that either we won't finish the cycle & the last 2 years will be brand new 2nd time around, OR that we'll be "behind" :/. These are my options & I'm not lovin' it.

So, what's the consensus? Start over? Trudge ahead w/Early Modern Times? Skip to Modern Times? Will my 5th grader need to move out of SOTW? Or is it enough to use SOTW as long as we supplement with additional reading material? He already uses Kingfisher while my younger uses Usborne. We don't, however, do as much history writing as is recommended. We do the questions & narrations orally, but I only ask them to write them sometimes, not every week.

Yes, keep using SOTW and Kingfisher. :001_smile: You could introduce outlining next year, perhaps change to written narrations or short reports, but just keep on trudging ahead with Early Modern Times.

Just as a reference, we're doing early modern times this year.

My oldest is a 10th grader. He'll finish his home-school career with ancients.

My 2nd is a 9th grader. He'll finish with the medieval time period.

My 3rd is the only one on track; she's in the 7th grade.

My 4th is a 4th grader and will study the modern time frame as a 5th grader.

We'll restart the cycle when my youngest 2 are 4 & 5. They'll both be slightly off schedule as well. It's all good. :D

Yes, keep using SOTW and Kingfisher. :001_smile: You could introduce outlining next year, perhaps change to written narrations or short reports, but just keep on trudging ahead with Early Modern Times.

Just as a reference, we're doing early modern times this year.

My oldest is a 10th grader. He'll finish his home-school career with ancients.

My 2nd is a 9th grader. He'll finish with the medieval time period.

My 3rd is the only one on track; she's in the 7th grade.

My 4th is a 4th grader and will study the modern time frame as a 5th grader.

We'll restart the cycle when my youngest 2 are 4 & 5. They'll both be slightly off schedule as well. It's all good. :D

:iagree:

We are on the Modern Age this year. DD13 is on track for another complete rotation and finishing with her senior year. DS10 will be half way through his third rotation when he graduates. DD8 started with required history last year. She'll be beginning her first full rotation next year. Keeping them all together simplifies everything. The olders do outlines while the youngers draw pictures. We add skills as they grow. There are plenty of supplimental books to read. It's a wonderful system for us.

I agree with the other posters, but wanted to add a little. You also have the option of doing other than 4 year rotations. You could stretch the SOTW books out over more than a year. Or try something different in between this and your last rotation. Maybe add in a year or two on just American history (or some other) or a particular topic. Or government, civics, or geography.

Mine are 4th and 6th this year and we're doing SOTW 3/Early modern.

Nicole