Menu

Co-op classroom behavior managment-- (or how to get four kids to shut up)

I am teaching co-op class with 15 kids, 3rd -6th. There are four children, all boys, that will not be quiet. At all. They talk for the entire class. I have separated them and they talk across the classroom. They are not rude or obnoxious, just very chatty. They literally cannot seem to be quiet at all. I am at a loss as to how to turn off their mouths. I would LOVE suggestions!

i honestly think kids who cannot follow classroom etiquette should not be in a classroom. this is why my kids have not taken any coop classes, for the most part. and the person who helped start an activity we are doing purposefully did not invite one kid who is totally out of control (makes my youngest look well behaved :tongue_smilie:).

However, you could try keeping them right next to you so you can gently touch them to remind them to be quiet, you could ask them a lot of questions to redirect them to pay attention to you, you could suggest to their parents that they need to get them together outside of class so they can get their social time where it wont detract from the other students learning.

I would talk to the parents first to let them know the boys are causing disturbances. If it continued, I would require the parent to sit in the class with the kid for a class period. After that, if they still wouldn't listen, I would have no problem sending them to the parent and telling them they could rejoin the class when they were ready to be quiet and listen.

Lana

Use the Socratic method. If they are so busy answering your questions, then they won't have time to be talking. The lecture method of teaching (if you even use that) can be difficult for 3rd - 6th graders to sit through.

I do semi-lecture. I talk a little bit, ask questions, talk a little bit, ask questions. I am not a believer in the Socratic method for learning all new material. I have expectation that children and sit and learn for 60 minutes.

i honestly think kids who cannot follow classroom etiquette should not be in a classroom. this is why my kids have not taken any coop classes, for the most part. and the person who helped start an activity we are doing purposefully did not invite one kid who is totally out of control (makes my youngest look well behaved :tongue_smilie:).

However, you could try keeping them right next to you so you can gently touch them to remind them to be quiet, you could ask them a lot of questions to redirect them to pay attention to you, you could suggest to their parents that they need to get them together outside of class so they can get their social time where it wont detract from the other students learning.

Thanks, I will try this. I'll put the chatty boys at opposite corners with the chief chatter up front.

I do semi-lecture. I talk a little bit, ask questions, talk a little bit, ask questions. I am not a believer in the Socratic method for learning all new material. I have expectation that children and sit and learn for 60 minutes.

Are the kids "doing" at all, or literally sitting in one place for an hour? At that age, I'd find that difficult. Even when the kids were in public school, they moved around, and didn't have lecturing for long periods, even with breaks for questions. That would be especially hard on the younger end of the age range, I would think.

Are the kids "doing" at all, or literally sitting in one place for an hour? At that age, I'd find that difficult. Even when the kids were in public school, they moved around, and didn't have lecturing for long periods, even with breaks for questions. That would be especially hard on the younger end of the age range, I would think.

We have hands on objects that get passed around, they take turns standing up for games - we do a game at beginning, one in the middle and one at the end. No one is doing jumping jacks, but they are not required to sit silently without moving for an hour.

I agree with the talking to them in front of their parents and keeping them close to you during class time. Touching them gently on the shoulder is a good reminder that they are talking out of turn. Ask them a lot of questions to ensure they are fully engaging. If that doesn't work you may have to go to a red light system or something similar and if that doesn't work I would say they can't handle it. Remember a lot of these kids have not been in this situation before. I would discuss it openly and give them opportunitites to correct the behavior.

We have hands on objects that get passed around, they take turns standing up for games - we do a game at beginning, one in the middle and one at the end. No one is doing jumping jacks, but they are not required to sit silently without moving for an hour.

Then go for separating them.... if that doesn't work, what do co-op rules say? Can you require the parent to sit with the child for a week or two?

I would talk to the parents first to let them know the boys are causing disturbances. If it continued, I would require the parent to sit in the class with the kid for a class period. After that, if they still wouldn't listen, I would have no problem sending them to the parent and telling them they could rejoin the class when they were ready to be quiet and listen.

Lana

:iagree: