Menu

Questions about ADD/ADHD in children and medicating?

You all helped me with concerns about my son and he was finally evaluated for sensory disorder after putting it off for years and now I have questions about my daughter. I always wonder if I'm just being paranoid so please bear with me.

I made an appointment for her after talking with another forum member who has experience with children on medication for ADD. I NEVER thought I would think about medication but her behavior is very disruptive to all of our lives and if medication would help, well..........it's something I'm open to.

I have never gone in for a diagnosis but I believe I would be diagnosed as ADD and my mom has severe ADD. Here are the symptoms my daughter has:

1. Getting distracted VERY easily, to the point where one of us practically has to stand over her in order for her to finish most tasks.

2. Starting arguments and seeming to enjoy being in constant conflict of some sort.

3. Thriving on drama, attention, negativity.

4. Always wanting to be going, going, going, doing something new and fun and exciting.

I understand every pre-teen/teen girl probably struggles with these to some extent but this interferes with our family in a MAJOR way. Also, I had a rough teen years with severe depression (most of it caused by family/peer issues) but I am a bit paranoid to enter the teen years with this child when we've already had such a rough go of it.

Now since she is my first child and only girl I don't know how much of this is normal. I have an appointment scheduled with our ped next week and I'm not sure what I should do/say other than just tell him these symptoms.

Yes, very much are the symptoms better when she is medicated. Basically, none of us can really stand her if she isn't, though that also depends on the time of the month. With medications, she is basically normal and people are always astonished if they find out she is ADHD. Mind you, she isn;t even slightly adhd, she is severely adhd and the medication makes it so she has no problems with it.

Yes, very much are the symptoms better when she is medicated. Basically, none of us can really stand her if she isn't, though that also depends on the time of the month. With medications, she is basically normal and people are always astonished if they find out she is ADHD. Mind you, she isn;t even slightly adhd, she is severely adhd and the medication makes it so she has no problems with it.

Thank you, this is encouraging. Were any of her symptoms similar to what I listed? What was she like before getting on meds?