Menu

What Phonics do you like?

momtolgd

With the older 2 we used a combo of things...mostly the Leapfrog videos, OPGTR, and ETC workbooks.

I am trying to decide what to use with youngest ds. He can sound out CVC words (has watched Leapfrog videos and played some on Reading Eggs but our subscription expired.) I'm not sure how to continue with him.

His handwriting also needs some work (written letters look ok, but doesn't have a good pencil grip and doesn't always form the letters/numbers correctly.) Should this be combined with phonics or a separate subject?

Would like to see what works for others! Thanks. :001_smile:

I use Phonics Pathways and a combination of Explode the Code and Plaid Phonics.

We did OPGTR until we had the letter sounds down, then I used Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways. They worked well for us, but Button never loved them -- he sort of loathed phonics -- but for 5-10 minutes a day, with lots of running around after a page or a few words, whichever was appropriate, he did learn to read.

That child wouldn't have LOVED any phonics, and would never have done well with something as structured as Spalding seems to be.

I found Alphabet Phonics on some old threads, and have bookmarked it for Bot-bot, but haven't used it at all -- and am not sure it's what we'll do; but it looks intriguing, just not cheap.

Edited by serendipitous journey

I found Alphabet Phonics on some old threads, and have bookmarked it for Bot-bot, but haven't used it at all -- and am not sure it's what we'll do; but it looks intriguing, just not cheap.

This looks really cute! (I'm a sucker for phonics programs.:o)

I tried several before settling on R&S Phonics, which DD & I are really enjoying. We're only 3 weeks in, but here's a thread where I talked about the aspects that I liked...

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=426790

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/pal I love this program ... I'm using it with our K'er and 2nd grader (who was having a lot of trouble with phonics before we started). We did PAL-R (reading) and PAL-W (handwriting/writing) ... after a while it also incorporates All About Spelling Level 1 in to the writing curriculum. I'm very happy. With this program my 7 yr old is reading very well now (we tried 3 different programs before this and he cried daily until this). My just turned 5 yr old is using this program and is reading, now, too ...