Menu

Help with finding a Literature Program

I am looking to find a literature program for my 12 year old dd. She is not a natural reader but will read what is assigned. We have not done any literary analysis yet. Frankly, even though I have an advanced education degree, I am afraid of it! I would need a bit of hand holding and would like a program that is not teacher intensive since I may return to work at some point this school year. Of course, we will discuss her readings, etc. but I'd like her to be able to work independently as much as possible.

Our line up for the year is: Jacobs Elementary Algebra, Essentials in Writing 6, IEW Fix It, Rainbow Science and Figuratively Speaking. I am considering Lightning Literature but I don't really need the grammar or writing since we are using Essentials in Writing 6. I don't want to overload her BUT I think it's time to ramp up her studies considerably. I also have a 5th grader and would love it if she could join us as much as possible.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!!

Alexas

Lightning Lit is really just a lit program. I wouldn't have said it includes any grammar instruction at all, but that's probably not fair -- it has a *very*little* grammar review from time to time. You could choose to use those very few exercises, or you could let your daughter skip them. The writing instruction in Lightning Lit is pretty minimal too. Occasionally a worksheet will require a written paragraph, and there are 1-2 writing exercises to be done per chapter -- though these are varied and since the student is allowed to pick from a list of potential assignments, you can make sure that the writing doesn't overlap with other work she's doing.

I actually think LL7 sounds like a good choice for you.

What about Teaching the Classics? This is a course for teaching adults how to teach literary analysis to children, but there is a syllabus on the IEW website for using it with middle schoolers. I am doing this right now. We have 7 middle school aged kids and their moms coming over every couple weeks to watch the dvd and have discussions. We have only done one lesson so far (just finished about 2 hours ago), but the other moms and I are very pleased.

Teaching the Classics

Middle School Lesson Plans

This gives parents and students the tools to do literary analysis, but it is not a full-year curriculum.

CLE Reading is another potential option. It is a comprehensive reading program which focuses on reading skills as well as literary terminology. It uses a textbook in conjunction with Light Units (workbooks) and is written directly to the student so it can be done fairly independently. The upper grade levels are a half year program so you could do novels in the other half of the year. It is a Christian based curriculum.

I agree, try Lightning Lit. There is one worksheet page for each unit that has a grammar concept on it. Skip it and you'll miss nothing. The writing assignments are negligible, one paragraph (or poem or other equivalent) per unit most of the time. The literature choices are very good and the introduction to literary terms and ideas is gentle. It is a great place to start.

We are also loving Excellence in Lit for high school. They have 5 years worth of material, but I would do a year of LL first. It is far gentler. EIL doesn't include grammar, but it's writing assignments are more serious.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I have looked at Teaching the Classics and it seems to be exactly the kind of program I'd like to use but fear I need a more gentle introduction. I am considering buying it to learn more. Maybe next year I will feel more comfortable enough to jump right in.

I have been looking over Excellence in Writing and LOVE the looks of it but, as the previous poster suggested, I think I will save it for next year or the year after. I have considered Literary Lesson from the Lord of the Rings as well. Any thoughts about this one?

I like the looks of Lightning Lit but wasn't sure it the grammar and writing would be too much. Unless something changes, I think I will probably buy LL7 this year, LL8 next year and EIW thereafter.

I like the looks of Lightning Lit but wasn't sure it the grammar and writing would be too much. Unless something changes, I think I will probably buy LL7 this year, LL8 next year and EIW thereafter.

This is exactly the path we have taken and I have been very pleased. The kids have been happy with it too, no complaints.