Menu

So.....how do I get this kid to memorize his timetables?!

Mommyfaithe

What have you tried so far?

For my visual learner, the following worked while flash cards and reciting did nothing:

Have student draw a poster of the times tables, 1 through 10.

Use the commutative property and write in only HALF the problems (OK, bit more, including the quadratics): 7*8=8*7, only one problem to memorize. The table should look like a triangle.

Mark in color the trivial problems: the 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s. He will know them already.

See that of all the many problems,there are now only 25 problems he has to memorize.

You can also use a special color for the quadratics.

Hang poster where it is seen multiple times a day.

This is your 8yr old, right? :) I'm going to go off the crazy end and tell you to back off ;) Enjoy just working with real life experience for a while. Then when you're taken the pressure off, see if they are in his little head :)

I went through and flashed cards for my son and saw which ones were "top of the mind" known. I don't drill him, right now, but we will do games in the car sometimes. He gives me questions and I do the same. Once it's fun, it's easier to get in there :) I still don't "drill" him as most do, but it seems like it's working...

What have you tried so far?

For my visual learner, the following worked while flash cards and reciting did nothing:

Have student draw a poster of the times tables, 1 through 10.

Use the commutative property and write in only HALF the problems (OK, bit more, including the quadratics): 7*8=8*7, only one problem to memorize. The table should look like a triangle.

Mark in color the trivial problems: the 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s. He will know them already.

See that of all the many problems,there are now only 25 problems he has to memorize.

You can also use a special color for the quadratics.

Hang poster where it is seen multiple times a day.

Very Cool!! I'm gonna do this for art some day :)

I used Times Tales with my son and they worked great! As someone who struggled myself with memorizing my multiplication facts, I dreaded my dyslexic son trying to learn them. After watching the DVD once, he had about half of the ones memorized that he had seen. After about two weeks, he now knows them all. It's been painless for me and it really has helped his attitude toward multiplication.

For my older dd, I was pretty sure she'd never learn her multiplication tables, but I took some great advice and quit trying. I gave her a multiplication table to reference for her work and moved on to division which she loved. She can still do long division, fractions, decimals, and basic pre-algebra without ever having mastered those facts. She knows enough of them through years of use that it doesn't slow her down at all although I suspect that she's probably learned them all long ago.

Edited by Karen in CO

I don't have a child your age but I do remember having a very difficult time myself memorizing the times tables. I am a visual learner and what finally worked for me was making my own times table chart. Then I used it religiously. My grandmother (who in retrospect was after schooling me although we didn't know that is what it was called) didn't try to make me "memorize" them, she just let me use my chart whenever I was doing work. It only took a month or so and I realized that I was having to look at the chart less and less. Eventually I didn't need it anymore. It was an effective, but gentle approach. Hope that helps : ).

I didn't memorize mine until way later than that.

What worked was just keeping on doing math without a calculator, and having free time when I was done, and having to figure it out using other rules (i.e. 7x9 = 7x3x3 = 21x3 = 63) or addition if I couldn't remember. Eventually, it started to stick.

Is this for your 8 yr old? I'm with the person who said to back off, it will come in time. If your child is a visual learner it will come at a much much later time, from my understanding thats about right after they finish algebra 1. In the mean time things like Times Tales and Timez Attack from bigbrainz.com can help.

Dragging heels? Kicking/Screaming? Blank stare when asked for the answer? Yup...and then I bought Times Tables the Fun Way on the advice of another homeschooling momma and DD1 learned her facts in just a few days. Even DS knows some of the harder ones thanks to this book, which he views as a comic book more than an instructional manual...and he doesn't have any multiplication in his Math yet!

We used the free version of timezattack. It looks like a video game so my ds loved it. He memorized his times table in no time.

We use this. It's a fun "treat" they get to play when they have earned it. ;) Little do my kids know that I sneak in learning in their treats. Actually, I'm sure they know but think it's fun anyway.

I've never stressed memorizing the times table. We simply start with skip counting and go from there. Neither of my boys struggle with it so I'm not helpful with suggestions.

If my they ever get stuck I simply hand them the albacus (from RS) and they enter the numbers and "see" the product.

DS HATES to memorize anything. What I started doing is write 2 facts on the board every day or two. I ask him about 100,000 times a day. There is no way for him to not remember LOL. I only do 2 at a time. This seemed to do the trick.

Then at the end of the week I make sure he remembers all of them. Then the next week start with 2 a day or every other day, and at the end of the week check he knows that week plus the week prior.

Eventually he memorized most of them.

Have him teach 2nd grade after college. That's what did it for me ;)

But a few tricks that have worked for kiddos I've taught:

Marching or clapping each "family" repeatedly to a familiar tune.

The triangle fact family cards has helped my visual learners connect the dots between 3 x 5 = 5 x 3.

And I agree with the provide a chart and move on if the concept of multiplication is understood while the facts themselves might not be memorized. As math gets more challenging, most facts get learned out of self-preservation; info instantly at hand = less time on a problem.

My dd#2 doesn't have them all memorized yet and it was driving me crazy. :willy_nilly:

When we started back up in her math book (after a long six month saga of math-phobia), I :chillpill: relaxed a bit. We still practice daily, but if she's stuck, I let her use the chart on the wall.

I've been amazed at how much she can do on her own without skip-counting up to the proper number. I'm hopeful ... but until then, I let her walk over to the wall chart as necessary.

For my older dd, I was pretty sure she'd never learn her multiplication tables, but I took some great advice and quit trying. I gave her a multiplication table to reference for her work and moved on...

I've taken a similar approach with my two youngest. It works. :)