Menu

Preparing for standard test - paperwork

This is going to sound like a dumb question, I'm sure. I'm thinking of having my ds16 take the PSAT in October. He's never taken a test somewhere other than home. He has Aspergers and gets nervous in new situations. I'm sure the beginning of the test has the student filling out name and address, and probably other things. Is there a way I can show him that page so he will know what it looks like and how to fill it in before test day?

This is going to sound like a dumb question, I'm sure. I'm thinking of having my ds16 take the PSAT in October. He's never taken a test somewhere other than home. He has Aspergers and gets nervous in new situations. I'm sure the beginning of the test has the student filling out name and address, and probably other things. Is there a way I can show him that page so he will know what it looks like and how to fill it in before test day?

buy a book with practice tests. The school where you sign up should also give you a prep booklet.

buy a book with practice tests. The school where you sign up should also give you a prep booklet.

:iagree:

The school should have given you a practice booklet when you registered.

Is there any chance that the school would permit your son to visit the school before test day so he is a bit familiar with his surroundings prior to sitting for the exam?

Good luck to your son.

:iagree:

The school should have given you a practice booklet when you registered.

Is there any chance that the school would permit your son to visit the school before test day so he is a bit familiar with his surroundings prior to sitting for the exam?

Good luck to your son.

I went to B&N and got a prep book that shows the answer sheet that asks for name and address.

That's a good idea to ask if he can visit the school the day before, but it may be okay. My dd14 is a freshman and she'll be taking the test as well. I didn't think 9th graders take it but her Honors English teacher highly recommends it.

I went to B&N and got a prep book that shows the answer sheet that asks for name and address.

I would strongly recommend you also get the official PSAT prep booklet from the school. There is quite a bit of administrivia at the beginning of the test and this booklet is the only resource that will show you what it really looks like. It's much more than name and address. He'll need to enter the homeschool code, you'll need to figure out in advance if he's going to give his SSN (it will ask for it but it's optional), he'll have to pick a code for various things like his intended college major and his religion, he'll have to specify whether he wants to receive information from colleges or not, and a few other things I've forgotten. The booklet shows all of this including all the codes so he can know what to expect and be prepared in advance. My kids would have freaked out at the test without this prep.

The other reason to get the booklet is it has an actual released PSAT test for practice. It's by far the best way to get a feel for the real test (test prep companies try, but they can never duplicate the real thing.)

There is quite a bit of administrivia at the beginning of the test and this booklet is the only resource that will show you what it really looks like. It's much more than name and address. He'll need to enter the homeschool code, you'll need to figure out in advance if he's going to give his SSN (it will ask for it but it's optional), he'll have to pick a code for various things like his intended college major and his religion, he'll have to specify whether he wants to receive information from colleges or not, and a few other things I've forgotten. The booklet shows all of this including all the codes so he can know what to expect and be prepared in advance. My kids would have freaked out at the test without this prep.

The PSAT supervisor's manual on the college board website includes copies of those pre-test bubble sheets on pages 35-36, and a copy of the homeschool codes on page 32. You can even see the script that the proctor will read from on test day.