Menu

Sacral Pain in Lower Back-- help, I am in AGONY

I posted last week about terrible lower-back pain I was experiencing, and wondering whether a massage would help. Well, it didn't, and it's gotten progressively worse. I'm seriously in agony. I can take a lot of pain, but this is just beyond what I can manage myself. I have an hour and twenty minute drive in to work every day and I was in tears after 15 minutes. The pain is so bad I"m nauseous. The ONLY comfortable position is lying down, mostly on my side.

I did some reasearch yesterday and think that what I have is sacral-related. 15 years ago when dd was a newborn I picked her up out of her swing and felt something 'pop' in my extreme lower back. I went to the dr. then and it was determined that my sacrum had popped out of alignment. I went to a physical therapist who sort of leaned on it and popped it back in and there was instant pain relief. He said it was common in women who have big babies, and since dd was (what is that term when she was facing up, not down? In so much pain I can't think straight) Anyway, he felt my problem started in labor, and fixed it. No problem since, though I don't remember that as being this bad. It's a constant strong pain and sort of wraps around my hips to my groin/front of thigh. Agony when I turn over in bed, better when I stand and walk for a few minutes, though it then comes back worse. Sitting is agony.

I've tried muscle relaxers-- no effect that I can tell. NSAIDS--- no effect. Heat, eh. Cold feels good, but only for a short time.

I have no freaking idea how I'm going to make it through work today. I don't thik I will. Anyone BTDT? And is there anything I can do on my own, or do I have to go to the dr. and get in to physical therapy? I just don't have time to be flat on my back, or even making therapy appointments.

Sobbing. Literally.

astrid:crying:

I've had back pain like this. I don't see how you can stay at work. You need to get back on your side and a little walking, to the bathroom, and little sitting. Ice and ibuprofen and a chiro or physical therapist. I also find that those elastic wraps that are used for support or marketed for heavy lifting give support I need until I start feeling better. Once you can walk it is very helpful to loosen everything up. :grouphug:

please, please, please get yourself to a orthopedic Dr. Please.

I had two ruptured disks, I have Never had so much pain before. Yours may be bulging, but that may cause nerve damage.

Please don't go to a chiro about this, they made mine worse.

Get in today for xrays if you can.

I now have nerve damage all the way down to my toes from 'hanging on' too long with mine. You can take the skin on the back of my calf and pinch and twist and I feel almost nothing. I have no feeling in three toes. I also was >.< that close to having a colostomy bag because of the nerve damage.

This is NOT something to suck up or endure. This is your body giving you a strong warning.

ETA, mine ruptured, too.

Edited by justamouse

I would get into doctor or emergency room for pain relief ASAP.

I had something similar (popping sound picking up my giant baby out of playpen). I was in agony for days and was then carried out of my house on a stretcher screaming.

I had 2 herniated disks that had burst.

Don't be stupid like I was.

:grouphug:

I would get into doctor or emergency room for pain relief ASAP.

I had something similar (popping sound picking up my giant baby out of playpen). I was in agony for days and was then carried out of my house on a stretcher screaming.

I had 2 herniated disks that had burst.

Don't be stupid like I was.

:iagree::iagree:

That's the way I left my house, including the screaming. And all I did was put on a sock. Pop, and that was it.

please, please, please get yourself to a orthopedic Dr. Please.

I had two ruptured disks, I have Never had so much pain before. Yours may be bulging, but that may cause nerve damage.

Please don't go to a chiro about this, they made mine worse.

Get in today for xrays if you can.

I now have nerve damage all the way down to my toes from 'hanging on' too long with mine. You can take the skin on the back of my calf and pinch and twist and I feel almost nothing. I have no feeling in three toes. I also wasT >.< that close to having a colostomy bag because of the nerve damage.

This is NOT something to suck up or endure. This is your body giving you a strong warning.

ETA, mine ruptured, too.

I have nerve damage also.

By the time I got to hospital I had no feeling on my right side.

Yes, ice, even at work, keep icing it 15 minutes per hour. Ibuprofen round the clock. Keep the best posture that you can stand. When you are lying down on your side, make sure to have a pillow between your knees. I find that one behind my back, too, helps me be a little more comfortable.

I did ask my daughter's chiro. once about that pain (was not having it that day). It is pregnancy related and they do have a specific manipulation for that. I found that I was most susceptible to that injury at a certain point in my cycle when I was retaining fluids. Hope you can find relief soon. I was never able to do anything but spend 3 days in bed when that happened to me. Had it once or twice a year in my 40s and early 50s.

That's what I'm worried about. I"m literally in tears sitting at my desk at work. I cannot get comfortable no matter WHAT I try. AT this point I"m thinking even morphine wouldn't touch my pain.

I'm going to stop at a full-service urgent care facility that I pass on my way home. I think this is the most pain I've ever been in.

astrid

Thanks for the advice.

Here's the interesting thing-- I have a prolactinoma, which is a tumor on my pituitary gland so my body CONSTANTLY thinks it is pregnant. Hormones, etc. I wonder if they are related? Some of the reading I've done makes it sound as if the laxity of the ligaments, etc. is controlled by pregnancy hormones.

astrid

Went to an urgent care walk-in. Dr is worried about discs Sending me for an MRI. Dr says,"I never order an MRI unless I have a very strong hunch it's a disc. And I have a VERY strong hunch that the MRI is goin to find something". Got lots of drug scrips tho. :-)

Receptionist is Trying to contact ins for authorization of MRI and I'm about to cry if they don't hurry I up! Ugh

Wish me luck.

Astrid

I had something similar and was in pain for months (but I had an xray which ruled out any disc problems). Chiropractic didn't help at all (and usually it does). The only thing which helped me was acupuncture. Within a few hours of my first treatment the pain was so much better I couldn't believe it. So, if for some reason, the MRI shows that your discs are fine, I would seriously recommend finding an acupuncturist.

Thanks for the advice.

Here's the interesting thing-- I have a prolactinoma, which is a tumor on my pituitary gland so my body CONSTANTLY thinks it is pregnant. Hormones, etc. I wonder if they are related? Some of the reading I've done makes it sound as if the laxity of the ligaments, etc. is controlled by pregnancy hormones.

astrid

My daughter's Dr told us this year (my mother, myself, and my Dd have ALL had lammies done) that some people are just more 'bendable' than others (it's obviously a genetic trait on my side), and that it most definitely has bearing on if something like this would ever happen to you.

So yes, when you constantly have that laxity of ligaments, that could have something to do with it. I would def talk about it with an ortho.

Edited by justamouse

Went to an urgent care walk-in. Dr is worried about discs Sending me for an MRI. Dr says,"I never order an MRI unless I have a very strong hunch it's a disc. And I have a VERY strong hunch that the MRI is goin to find something". Got lots of drug scrips tho. :-)

Receptionist is Trying to contact ins for authorization of MRI and I'm about to cry if they don't hurry I up! Ugh

Wish me luck.

Astrid

Thank you for going. Really, I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy, it is excruciating, and I was very concerned.

Wish me luck.

Astrid

I'm glad you went in and they're taking it seriously.

:grouphug: Good luck.

Cat

Wish me luck.

Astrid

I'm having serious scary flashbacks with your scenario. I got lots of good drugs too. They were so good I remember being carried out of the house and nothing for days after.

You really need to have someone drive you home or call a car service or something.

I started reading the thread and remembered how much pain I was in. Child birth was practically pain free--I knew when it would end. My ruptured disc was endless.

While waiting for your MRI take your pain meds and try laying fairly flat ( one pillow) on your back. Do not move around. My pain level went down when I did this - I am allergic to many pain meds. Laying flat was the only way I stayed sane.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

• 10 months later...
Guest demooon

Did you every find out what was your problem?

I have 2 herniated discs however my pain is in the SACRAL ARIA. cant sit for long, cant drive for long.

was in the same situation like yours.

• 4 months later...
Guest caloobaba

DId you ever find relief from your issue? 

I had the same thing happen. I couldn't sit for almost a year! went to the chiro first. big BIG mistake. they didn't do anything for me. maybe even made the situation worse, I went to them for 3 months!! AGONY!! I was in tears constantly. no pain meds helped. finally saw a physical therapist that started acupuncture to help stop the spasming in my left leg. that somewhat helped. what finally did the trick was traction!!!!! 

I had herniated 2 disks in my spine. L4and L5. 

fractioning helped soooo much from the first session. 

I hopeyou have found relief. 

I'm glad i didn't opt for the surgery offered till I tried the traction the surgery is all 50/50 change that it will work. 

Good luck hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Guest bellasimon

I've had back pain like this. I don't see how you can stay at work. You need to get back on your side and a little walking, to the bathroom, and little sitting. Ice and ibuprofen and a chiro or physical therapist. I also find that those elastic wraps that are used for support or marketed for heavy lifting give support I need until I start feeling better. Once you can walk it is very helpful to loosen everything up. :grouphug:

My doctor told me to look for the Physio therapist as I was suffering from severe back pain from last 5 months. I was not able to sit properly so I approached to Back and Neck Pain Center. They treated my back with heat as heat is a great way to relax the back and help get rid of the pain. Thanks to my physio therapist.