Menu

What would you do?

I posted this in the high school forum too, not sure where it should go. Hope thats okay, if not feel free to delete.

Scenario:

Your 9th grader is doing an online virtual school for high school. She likes the workload and seems to be doing okay. The 3rd week of school she gets very sick with pertussis. Now, with the very real possibility that she may be sick and not 100% until christmas, the work keeps piling up and she is getting overwhelmed. There is NO ROOM for the parent to adjust her schedule. Its a fixed schedule and the parents or learning coach cannot adjust it. So work keeps piling up and she is getting overwhelmed and weepy at all the work. However, she is still saying its a good challenge for her etc.

What would you do? Keep her in and hope for the best or pull her out, so she can work at her own pace and focus on getting well?

Thanks

If there is a chance that she is going to be sick for 3-4 months I'd pull her out. Who needs that kind of pressure while trying to recover from an illness? It is not as if she is an adult trying to hold down a paying job.

:iagree: and...

I would pull her out. Is this something you could possibly purchase (like K12) and let her work at her own pace because you aren't tied to THEIR schedule?

Dawn

:iagree:

I'd pull her out. I got very ill in my junior year of high school and though I plugged along at my pace to try to get my work done, I still hadn't finished one class by the time the next school year was beginning. The school said that I was going to have to repeat everything because I hadn't finished by the next school year. My mother appealed up to the district, but they wouldn't budge. I ended up dropping out and getting my GED.

I would pull her too. We are doing on line classes and once you get behind, it is REALLY hard to catch back up. You have to stay on top of it every single day. So, IMO, if you do not see her feeling well enough to keep up with it, I would pull her and look at some DVD classes or something that she can do more at her own pace.

Well I am going to give you a different view. When we had pertussis we felt fine except for the coughing spells every hour or so and throught the night. If she has flu like symptoms I would pull her, but if she wants to do it and says she can, then I'd let her stay. She's emotional because it's new to her and hopefully the weeping and such should end

Have you spoken with the learning coach? Public schools can, and do, adjust schedules for illness. If the learning coach said no, I'd go up the food chain. You can probably look up district policy, as well.

I'd hate to pull her from something that is working, and that she likes, if there's a chance to make it work. I would have enforced rest periods; if you are going to try this, you can only do so much per day, and we will worry about catching up as you improve.

It might be easier for her to work shorter periods each day, but include holidays and weekends. Our schools get 5 days off for Thanksgiving and 10 days off for Christmas/winter breaks. Obviously, she wouldn't do school work all of those days, but she could eke out quite a bit of extra time.

Thank you for all of the responses.

Maybe my perception of this illness is wrong. Everything I've read and or been told my medical profession says she won't be 100% until christmas or better. She seems to have a window of about 3-5 hours of good no coughing and energy wise. She has been schooling during that time and once that time is up she gets weak and exhausted. When she gets exhausted the coughing really gets bad. She isn't sleeping well so that is a consideration also.

The school does know she is sick. They said as long as she is working everyday it should work out. However, as the lessons pile up I'm getting more pressure.