Menu

What would you do?

Scenario:

Your 9th grader is doing an online virtual school for high school. She likes the workload and seems to be doing okay. The 3rd week of school she gets very sick with pertussis. Now, with the very real possibility that she may be sick and not 100% until christmas, the work keeps piling up and she is getting overwhelmed. There is NO ROOM for the parent to adjust her schedule. Its a fixed schedule and the parents or learning coach cannot adjust it. So work keeps piling up.

What would you do? Keep her in and hope for the best or pull her out, so she can work at her own pace and focus on getting well?

Thanks

I have a 9th grader in a public charter virtual academy, and in that situation, I'd pull her out. The stress of trying to keep up with the lessons while falling further behind would not help with recovery. It sounds like you're in a K12 virtual academy. I can tell you from past experience (my older daughter used MNVA for 9th grade), that depending on her schedule, the work load increases quite a bit from the first few weeks. There will be days where the work is light, and days where they have multiple written unit assessments due.

Instead, I'd probably assign plenty of reading, watching documentaries, discussion, and other things that can be done while lying in bed or on the couch.

Realistically, missing several months at the start of 9th grade isn't that big a deal, but trying to keep up with the requirements of a virtual charter while recovering from a serious illness would be very tough.

First I would double-check with the supervisor and make sure that the school really can't do anything at a level higher than the learning coach's level. I'm not saying they CAN, but I would leave no stone unturned.

Then, if they really can't do anything, I would pull. That's ridiculous.

First I would double-check with the supervisor and make sure that the school really can't do anything at a level higher than the learning coach's level. I'm not saying they CAN, but I would leave no stone unturned.

:iagree:

How long did your pertussis last? Is it really 3 or 4 months?

We do have antibiotics waiting. So far its only 2 kids. Both treated.

Totally unrelated to your question, but just as an FYI, the CDC recommends treating everyone in the household with antibiotics, even if they do not have symptoms, and REGARDLESS of immunization status (they even bold it in their literature).

Hope she gets to feeling better!:grouphug:

:iagree:

I thought this to. You need to go above the teacher if he or she can't change the schedule. AT the least they should be offering to let your daughter retake the class next fall at a reduced rate and just withdrawing her for now.

I'm hopeful this won't last 3 months. She did much better yesterday and last night. She was able to knock out some work and drained with 3 overdue's left. She is having to go in order by day because there are quizzes etc that she won't know the material for if she tries to do current stuff and then overdues. Does that make sense? So today, she is back up to 9 over dues lessons. Hopefuly, she will continue to do well and can get caught up.

Listen to your heart- that's God talking...and this is coming from a mom of a daughter with a chronic illness- we've had to deal with this type of situation three times now. Each time we pulled her out of school I freaked out! But when you're sick, there's little you can do. Reality hits you in the face. As she gets better, have her do schoolwork, according to her health and abilities at that particular point. Nothing is ultimately as important as her health.

I like what you said about letting her go her own pace and focus on getting well. Getting overwhelmed will not help her, just create more stress. My daughter got sick the first week of this year in her first year of public school.(9th) We got behind, she got stressed and was not herself. We pulled her out and went back to homeschooling as of last week! We are both happy and she is well again. Only you know your daughter and how she responds. I hope she recovers quickly! :)

How long did your pertussis last? Is it really 3 or 4 months?

We do have antibiotics waiting. So far its only 2 kids. Both treated.

Totally unrelated to your question, but just as an FYI, the CDC recommends treating everyone in the household with antibiotics, even if they do not have symptoms, and REGARDLESS of immunization status (they even bold it in their literature).

Hope she gets to feeling better!:grouphug:

I'm hopeful this won't last 3 months. She did much better yesterday and last night. She was able to knock out some work and drained with 3 overdue's left. She is having to go in order by day because there are quizzes etc that she won't know the material for if she tries to do current stuff and then overdues. Does that make sense? So today, she is back up to 9 over dues lessons. Hopefuly, she will continue to do well and can get caught up.

I'm so glad to hear she's being treated with antibiotics. I do hope it will be a much shorter illness for her than it was for us. As the other poster mentioned above, do be sure you get everyone in the family treated right away with antibiotics for this (it's no fun for adults either let me tell you!! :tongue_smilie:) In our case, we did not really know we had pertussis until it was too late for antibiotics. It was a 10-week illness for each of us, and for about a year after it was over, every time we got a cold the terrible coughing would come back. Our dd was the first to become ill. She was actually tested for pertussis, and they wanted to start her right away on the antibiotic for it, but due to allergy concerns they waited for the test results first. Well, the test came back negative so they treated dd for sinus infection with a different antibiotic (which didn't work--she was miserable for weeks) and the negative test result convinced us for many weeks that this was some other virus. Ds was the last to go through it, and the only one of us to have the characteristic "whoop" in his cough--and it was at that point, about 5 weeks into his illness, and after reading the CDC description of pertussis a million times, that we figured we must have had pertussis.

Anyway, we did manage to carry on our lives and homeschool (I called it "couch-school") through it all, though it was miserable. I would just keep a close eye on your daughter and her workload, as it sounds like you're doing, and I wouldn't hesitate to pull her out of the program if her illness doesn't allow her to catch up. I do hope she feels better soon, and that the rest of you stay well! :grouphug: