Menu

ACT scores from Sept are up!

Ds, 16, did NOT do well. I knew he wouldn't. I don't know how to help or motivate this child. I do wonder if there are learning issues or is it just laziness, which is what I think the problem is.

More studying, learning, and test-prep, so that he will try again in the spring.

Oh, I'm sorry! Can you study with him? Or get a tutor? There are some in our area who are fairly affordable.

Ds, 16, did NOT do well. I knew he wouldn't. I don't know how to help or motivate this child. I do wonder if there are learning issues or is it just laziness, which is what I think the problem is.

More studying, learning, and test-prep, so that he will try again in the spring.

:grouphug: I think your yours and my youngest might be from a similar mold... mine could do it, but just can't be motivated to do so no matter how much I plead or try to force. It's frustrating.

Dd17 did very well--I think. What is a good score?

This really, really, depends upon your goals. For some a 23 is terrific, for others a 28 is superb, and for others, they get disappointed at a 32. The difference tends to depend upon desires for future college and/or scholarship plans. My middle son wasn't satisfied with a score my youngest would love to have, so even within the same family "good" scores can differ.

In general here's the national ranking for scores:

http://www.actstudent.org/scores/norms1.html

A 28 composite puts her at the top 91st percentile - meaning if 100 college bound students were in line she'd be 9th best - quite good if you ask me! We've had kids with that score in our high school go on to do very well in college.

DD15 is pleased with her score. It is one point higher than DH or I got on the ACT in the dark ages. :tongue_smilie:

Congrats!