Menu

What do you think is the best combo of spelling and phonics?

Guest xap

This is for a friend, though I'm curious too...

Is there a spelling/phonics book that teaches a rule or two, and then makes a list of spelling words based on those newly learned rules? My friend is tired of spelling lists that get a bit confusing by listing words that sound similar, but are all spelled differently. (like the different ways to spell the sound, "ow")

Spalding 4th edition if using manuscript, or if cursive is already solid.

How to Tutor if teaching cursive and phonics at the same time. I prefer to use the Spalding 6th edition lowercase cursive and uppercase manuscript hands though, instead of the HTT cursive hand. The order of introduction of letters in HTT is wonderful though, and works perfectly with the Spalding hand.

A Beka is like this too--at least in the younger years, though I assume it follows the same format through the higher grades too.

Are you saying A Beka lists words with similar sounds (my friend's complaint)? The A Beka Phonics book I looked at certainly appears to go over all similar sounds at the same time.

For those recommending AAS and WRTR - would you say those curriculums would be the remedy my friend is looking for? They base spelling lists off of phonics rules for simplification?

Thanks!