Menu

Another eyeglass question - is it normal for astigmatism to change?

Guest xap

In my first question, I was skeptical about my prescription getting less strong, but I think I'm ok with that now. I got a second opinion (was able to get to an America's Best where I had free exams left), which confirmed a slight improvement, but not the big improvement that the first exam showed.

So I went to order glasses online, and I noticed that for the prescription with the glasses I currently wear, there was slight astigmatism. With my new prescription, no astigmatism was listed. I felt like the exam had been rushed, and I assumed they were maybe lazy to deal with a slight astigmatism? So for my order, I put those astigmatism numbers in, and the resulting glasses make my vision pretty weird. Rats! Anyone understand how these things work? Did I used to have astigmatism and then it corrected? Or did a slightly different prescription strength cause a need for astigmatism correction, which my new prescription doesn't need?

As you get older, the shape and strength of your eyes change. I had awful vision as a child but it is slowly getting better. Also, don't expect big huge improvements every time you have an exam. Go with the original RX numbers. If that doesn't work, go back to America's Best and tell them your prescription isnt working well for you. They will be able to help you.

Thanks - it's good to know that astigmatism changes.

I'm still confused about how prescriptions work, since I can wear my old glasses with no problems (and they had the astigmatism figured in). So is there some intricate connections between prescription strengths and astigmatism figures? If I went with my old prescription all the way across, theoretically, that should work as well as my old glasses that I still wear.

Still, I'm leaning toward using my new prescription all the way across (leaving out astigmatism), and hoping that it will work out and be a slight improvement over my current (old) glasses.