Menu

If you go to the bathroom at a park and the restroom has no soap

OK, I am, in the words of my ds9, a "germophobe freak." He literally introduced me as that at a party once, as in, "This is my dad. He's a nurse. And this is my mom. She's a germophobe freak.":glare::lol:

So I ALWAYS have hand sanitizer in my purse wherever we go. With that being said, if for some reason I didn't have it with me (gasp), then I'd scrub as hard as I could with water and then wash/scrub my hands with soap and water ASAP.

Of course. It's the water that washes. Soap just loosens.

Most of the time I don't even use the soap in public bathrooms. (But then, I'm not a germophobe.)

:iagree: I never use the soaps in a public rest room because of the stuff that is in it. I plain water. I don't us the anti bacteria stuff either. I do wash a bit longer than most people to with just the water.

is there any benefit at all to rinsing your hands with running water? (And yes, I understand it would be best in the future to have Purell or something of that sort in the car or my purse.) But I'm curious about the water.

We did a handwashing project at the hospital we worked at.... and he said (I never saw the research myself) that water took care of something like 90% of the germs, soap and water took care of 99%, and antibacterial soap took care of 99.9%.

But I always care wipes.

DS works on a river monitoring project that takes us to a lot of public parks with really insufficient "facilities"... by which I mean no water except the river (and we just tested the river - I don't think it's going to help!) Wipes. Definitely wipes.

If I know I am going to a park, I typically bring my own soap. Some natural stuff from a whacko. Dr Brohmers or something. I like it b/c my kids get eczema on their hands pretty bad and this soap is the best for it I have found.

Anyway, it goes to every park we go to. [at least when we remember. ]Otherwise, lots of water, hot water, rubbing and rinsing. :D

is there any benefit at all to rinsing your hands with running water?

I think so!

If any undesirable fluid happened to splatter or get on your hand, wouldn't it be better to rinse it under water than to just walk out the door with it on there? If you're at a park in the first place then washing with water would get off any dust and someo dirt, too, depending on how much you rub your hands together.

I'd totally wash with water even if there weren't soap. I often find public soap to smell too weird or look too pink and end up not using them. No biggie.

:iagree: I never use the soaps in a public rest room because of the stuff that is in it. I plain water. I don't us the anti bacteria stuff either. I do wash a bit longer than most people to with just the water.

:iagree:

One of my DDs can't use dyes, so she can rarely use soap outside of our home, anyway.

I do carry a natural brand of wipes in my car, and a natural or homemade spray in my purse.

But out in public restrooms? Plain water. Oh, and we spray the toilet seats with the hand cleaner and wipe them down with toilet paper before using. None of us are any good at the "hover squat." :D

From what I understand, the amount of time spent rubbing you hands under the water is as important as whether you use soap. That said, I carry soap leaves (1 or 2 leaves each use) for when we are at the park. And because it is the other thing the park never has—I found a little package of Charmin toilet seat covers in the sample size toiletries aisle recently.