Menu

mid-westers how's your apple crop

Iowan here... we don't traditionally have as much apple production as a couple other states, but lots of local activity. Most of the orchards around here usually do pick-your-own and are overrun with apples... this year, NO ONE is doing that, as the yields are so low that they're picking everything carefully themselves to have enough to sell. It's sad... we're going to miss that part of our fall tradition.

Yep, very few apples here in MI. We are still doing our annual trip to an orchard. Usually it's a wagon ride through the orchard to pick several varieties of apples...this year we get the wagon ride and a pumpkin. The cherry crop was also pretty much decimated due to early heat/frost as well as the corn crop from this dry summer. I feel pretty bad for the farmers around here.

Yep, our pumpkins did a little better than the apples, but still nothing like normal. Our sweet corn season ended about a month early as well, the farmers harvested what little viable crop was left as soon as they could. It's.... just not good. That bountiful Midwest harvest that you always picture is just sorely lacking this year, it's sad.

Our apples here in Ohio (that I've bought from local orchards and farmer's markets) have been smaller, seem to go bad more quickly and even have a poorer texture (somewhat mealy) than years' past! I love apples, but I'm so disappointed. I was hoping to keep some apples stored throughout the first part of the winter to enjoy, but maybe I don't know how to store them properly because they're already getting old. :(

Those of you that life in OH, IN, MI etc, was your crop ruined by the early heat wave/frost as it was in the north east? We went picking this week and I was told 60% of the crop was lost. Very sad for this apple loving family.

What?! We just went apple picking today and there was the hugest crowd I've ever seen at the orchard! The trees were full of apples...