Menu

QUICK...what's wrong with this sentence?

It looks ok to me?

I thought so too. Dh said it looks fine. Word says it's a fragment.:glare: I don't know how reliable Word is though.

Do they want:

Before being hanged for treason, Nathan Hale proclaimed,"....

That would normally be the way I'd phrase it, but I needed to show an example of the phrase used in the middle of the sentence.

I think it ought to be, "I regret only...."

Thanks. I corrected this.

No, it's not a fragment. Word is not always reliable, especially on complex sentences. I think it is grammatically correct.

:iagree: You can only trust Word's grammar function about 10 percent of the time, IMO.

Thank you both. Now I can print my lesson!

Nathan Hale, before being hanged for treason, proclaimed, “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.â€

I'm trying to give an example of an adverbial phrase inside a sentence...my word processor tells me this is wrong.

Didn't he say, "I regret that I have but one life..."? Using "only" and "but one..." in the sentence looks mighty weird to me.:blink:

Well if the quote is correct, Word is just having a hard time recognizing it as a complete sentence with the clause that cuts between the subject and verb. If you delete the clause (just for a test) and the fragment squiggly line goes away, that's probably what it is.