Menu

Weirdest issue with a boy scout shirt

I bought Geezle a tan shirt at our local council shop a couple of weeks ago. We have a pack meeting today and I was going to put his insignia on the new shirt, when I realized they sewed the American flag on upside down!!! It's the only insignia that comes presewn so there's no way for me to fix it easily. I hope they'll exchange it for a new shirt that Geezle can actually wear in public. I also hope they're contrite when I take it back, it's a heck of a mistake for a BSA shop to make.

I bought Geezle a tan shirt at our local council shop a couple of weeks ago. We have a pack meeting today and I was going to put his insignia on the new shirt, when I realized they sewed the American flag on upside down!!! It's the only insignia that comes presewn so there's no way for me to fix it easily. I hope they'll exchange it for a new shirt that Geezle can actually wear in public. I also hope they're contrite when I take it back, it's a heck of a mistake for a BSA shop to make.

Can you just unpick the stitches and resew it? Depending on how far your scout shop is, it might be a lot quicker. They should take it back though.

Yeah - the old shirts had full flag patches actually sew on. These new ones are like cheap stickers..... grrrrr. Can't take them off. You cold possibly cover it with a real patch, though. The material is cr@p, they are sewn poorly, the buttons are cheap. And yet - the price still keeps going up.......

That's what you get when BSA has their uniforms made in China. Don't get me started...

The older USA ones were great, but honestly, the tail end of the made in the USA shirts were dreadful quality. The fabric was stiff and the sewing was poor. I bought a number of second-hand ones to avoid the last of the USA ones. I actually think the new gear is far superior than the more recent USA ones, not to mention that they are more like regular technical outdoors clothing, design-wise and function-wise.

We want quality, we want USA-made, and we want cheap.

Realistically, you have to pick two of the three.

Unlike Girl Scouts where they toss everything and start over...

On this point, I think the GSA win. All you need is khaki bottoms and a white shirt under your vest and you're in uniform. Our troop is chartered by a Catholic school that wears khaki skirts and shorts so the girls don't need to buy anything or change before a meeting. They can wear their white blouses and khaki bottoms and just put their vest on at the meeting. Even for Trinqueta, it's an easy uniform to put together and launder. The vests rarely get dirty so you don't have to try to wash something with a bunch of patches stuck on. It kicks Geezle's cub shirt around the block and back again for ease of use!