Menu

Acupuncture. Is this a normal reaction?

My friend is seeing an Acupuncturist who is highly regarded. A few hours after her second session, she started getting boil-like sores all over her body. She called the guy and he said it was a severe, but normal reaction, explaining that her body was detoxing.

When she showed me the sores, I was shocked. They were very nasty looking. On her stomach, some were the size of large gumballs!

For those of you who are very familiar with Acupuncture,what do you think of this? Have you heard of it before?

TIA!

I've had acupuncture, but I've never had any kind of reaction. Are the sores everywhere or only in the location where the needles were inserted? I would wonder about a reaction to the metal in the needles, if it was localized to those spots, but if the sores are everywhere, I have no idea!

I am a licensed acupuncturist, and that does not sound normal. If he used certain types of moxibustion which can burn the skin (rarely used due to liability issus) it might happen. Alternatively it could be the result of cupping. If it was cupping, the swelling is normal and should disappear in about a week.

Cupping: http://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+cupping+therapy&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=pF9fUL_pG4Sk9ATOgoGADg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i|2;d|GAYnjvz4QieAVM:

Cupping on abdomen http://cuppingforlife.blogspot.com/2011/01/cupping-therapy-effects-upon-digestive.html

Edited by Halcyon