Menu

Throwing out a business idea and would like feedback (name ideas?)

Ok, I was reading in Time magazine about people really starting to rent A LOT. Homes, vehicles, clothes, furniture.

What caught my eye was a little caption about people renting others to do chores, such as folding laundry.

And this got me thinking....

We have rent-a-husband companies here (tends to be house maintenance) or rent-a-wife (house cleaning) and even a rent-a-son (moving). But we don't have a general rent-a-? (not sure what you'd call it).

Some ideas that I could include in a business:

-house chores (think of anything)

-dog walking/care

-garden and lawn maintenance (fall cleanup)

-driveway care in winter

-organization

-personal assistant

-personal shopper (I would need to bring in my sis for that)

-personal training (I would need my friend for that)

-visitation (maybe for older folks)

-house repair (husband's forte), which could include little things like sanding and restaining a deck, etc

-child care

-tutoring younger grades

These are some of the things someone may need on a TEMPORARY basis, but may not want to commit to full-time (like a cleaning service or lawn care). I live in a fairly affluent area (outside Toronto...average house price would be in the 500,00-600,00 range, though our home is way more modest and we only have one income)

So my questions:

Is this a dumb idea? It's a "broad" company, rather than a specific one (only dog-walking or only lawn care).

Any other ideas of things a company like this could provide?

Any name ideas?

Not sure what else to ask, but just throw feedback out there and I surely would listen to it all. I have NO business experience but just have this idea that I like. :) And I'm qualified...lol.

This sounds like a viable idea to me. I do not have any idea how you would price services and market them.

Have you looked at Task Rabbit and Zaarly? There are some similarities that might help you refine for niche.

Names could be cutesy like "the honey-do list' or professional like "Home management helpers' who are your potential clients.

Good luck, sounds neat.

This sounds like a viable idea to me. I do not have any idea how you would price services and market them.

Have you looked at Task Rabbit and Zaarly? There are some similarities that might help you refine for niche.

Names could be cutesy like "the honey-do list' or professional like "Home management helpers' who are your potential clients.

Good luck, sounds neat.

Thanks for those company names. It'll help! I'm in Canada and haven't heard of them. :)

Good luck, sounds neat.

LOL, love it! :) Know what I AM really good at? Getting money knocked off bills (say, the company that provides my internet, phone and tv...and they rip you off) or better prices on services. :)

Great ideas. It looks like you have a few different businesses here that would all use different marketing. I've split them up in a way that I think would make targeted marketing easier.

These would be a good - "Make your to do list a done list" type business.

-dog walking/care

(Maybe add indoor and potted plant care while homeowners are on vacation)

-driveway care in winter

-house repair (husband's forte), which could include little things like sanding and restaining a deck, etc

This could be separate or go with the "to do" business. There are lots of sites for professional organizers that could have great marketing and pricing ideas for you. If you made it separate, you may be able to go higher end with it.

-organization

-personal assistant

This I would leave out for now unless you are talking about grocery, etc. shopping. That could go in the "to do" business. Personal clothes shopping would be a diff. market, I think.

If you have certification for this, go for it. If not, there are already a lot of businesses that do this.

These could all go together. You would probably need a background check.

-visitation (maybe for older folks) Could add some of the chore business here. I think someone who would take an elderly parent grocery shopping, to drs. appt, help with their housekeeping, etc. would be very useful.

-child care

This I would make a separate business where you would use your marketing to showcase your skills, degrees, experience, etc.

-tutoring younger grades

Rent-A-Helper

Assist-Temps (sort of a play on "assistance")

Someone Else (tag line: Get Someone Else to do it!)

Could you imagine two friends talking:

"Who got this house cleaned up?"

"I used Someone Else."

"Ok, who was it?"

"It was Someone Else."

and on and on.... :lol:

Great ideas. It looks like you have a few different businesses here that would all use different marketing. I've split them up in a way that I think would make targeted marketing easier.

These would be a good - "Make your to do list a done list" type business.

-dog walking/care

(Maybe add indoor and potted plant care while homeowners are on vacation)

-driveway care in winter

This could be separate or go with the "to do" business. There are lots of sites for professional organizers that could have great marketing and pricing ideas for you. If you made it separate, you may be able to go higher end with it.

-organization

-personal assistant

This I would leave out for now unless you are talking about grocery, etc. shopping. That could go in the "to do" business. Personal clothes shopping would be a diff. market, I think.

If you have certification for this, go for it. If not, there are already a lot of businesses that do this.

These could all go together. You would probably need a background check.

-visitation (maybe for older folks) Could add some of the chore business here. I think someone who would take an elderly parent grocery shopping, to drs. appt, help with their housekeeping, etc. would be very useful.

-child care

This I would make a separate business where you would use your marketing to showcase your skills, degrees, experience, etc.

-tutoring younger grades

LOL, "Caralyn" the lady with five businesses. I think Shark Tank would be all over me on diversifying too much! Thanks for helping me sort it out!

I would make it all female-oriented tasks and call it "Jane-of-All-Trades." :001_smile:

And yes, I do think there is a market for it. I have heard of Task Rabbit and also something that was Gopher (something). "GoPher You"? Something like that. I don't think it should be totally general, as in anything at all you can think of - need someone to pick up your carry-out? Need a dog walker? Need someone to replant the Hostas? Maybe not as general as that.

I think the Task Rabbit business hires others on an as-needed basis, so it's not literally one person doing whatever tasks come their way, but a "hub" who will connect you with the person who will bring in your mail or take you to the airport or feed your pet rabbit or whatever. Then the "hub" business gets a commission and the actual task-doer gets paid directly.

You might check out Sittercity. They might give you ideas. It's basically a matching service--people who want to do the jobs are matched with people who need the jobs done. It's free to those who want to work; the people needing the job done pay a small fee to get the contact information. THey have a "backround check" option, too--

Not quite what you are proposing, but it might help to see. :001_smile:

I had a friend who tried to start a business being a 'mom's assistant'. Her services included things like driving kids to activities, laundry, personal errands, accountability coach, walking partner, etc. It didn't really take off, but I think it could have if she found the right clients.

I think it is going to be a matter of combining the right marketing with just getting lucky.

I would separate them into different job types to market to different clienteles. Then once you have a client, you can offer the other services to them as well.

I had a friend who tried to start a business being a 'mom's assistant'. Her services included things like driving kids to activities, laundry, personal errands, accountability coach, walking partner, etc. It didn't really take off, but I think it could have if she found the right clients.

I think it is going to be a matter of combining the right marketing with just getting lucky.

I would separate them into different job types to market to different clienteles. Then once you have a client, you can offer the other services to them as well.

Ya, this is what I'm thinking. I'm wondering if I had the right business background it would be better.

You could put a spin on it being a personal concierge service, but I think it depends on whether you want to market it as more upscale vs. to more middle class folks.

This would work really well in the city...I've seen that there are a couple and they seem to be big business. Maybe I should quit homeschooling and work for them. :) lol