Menu

Thinking about a Dyson canister vac....any recommendations?

We have allergies to dust in the family plus an elderly grandmother with COPD living with us, and I really need to upgrade to a better vacuum cleaner. Money is pretty tight, so I'm going to have to save up for it. I'm looking at and seriously considering a Dyson DC39 Animal canister vac, as I prefer canisters over upright models, especially since we have stairs and I find a canister to be more versatile in reaching areas.

Does anyone have this type of vacuum? If so, how do you like it? Is there anything out there comparable to this, but with a lower price tag?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I bought my Dyson at Costco. I love it. It has a really nice tube to reach high on the walls and vacuum the fans, walls, corners and ceilings. I love that it dumps out in the trash and there is an extra filter to alternate between cleanings. I hadnt tried other canister types. I did have a bag one before this and it cost so much for the bags...I am so happy not to buy those anymore.

I have to tell you I am not a fan of Dysons. I clean houses part time, and I have used many vacuums over the years. I only use a Hoover bagged vacuum. I have a client who bought a Dyson and my Hoover picked up so much more than her Dyson she took it back!!

I also have allergies and asthma, and bags are recommended much more for allergy sufferers than non-bagged vacuums because of the emptying procedures. With a bag, you just carefully remove, plug up the hole and toss it. Emptying the dust bin on a bagless vacuum can be quite the mess. Dust flying around- ick! I've even had dust in my mouth and eyes!

A good Hoover bagged vacuum is around $200, and the bags are $7.99 for 3 at Walmart. I use 3 bags every 4 months or so, and I clean much more than an ordinary person.

Good luck with your purchase- I just wanted to let you know the downsides to Dyson, and don't like seeing people pay twice as much for something that works half as well!

I have been on the search for the perfect canister vacuum for quite a while. I am finding it very hard to find one with all of the attachments I want so that I can easily clean both the stairs and ceiling fans. Not sure I want to pay that much for one though. I have been meaning to do a Consumer Reports check but haven't really gotten around to it. I am relying on you guys to tell me the best one for my needs. :001_smile:

I am totally a Consumer's Report person. I do that research, before I try them out. They do not love Dyson's, if I remember correctly. I cross-shop with what is at Sam's and Costco....usually very highly rated stuff with extra attachments.

Right now, I have about six vacuums, the last four grabbed at Salvation Army or Goodwill. Really good vacuum cleaners, of the "less than $250 variety" that just needed new filters and cleaning. I kept buying them and fixing them, for my kids' apartments, and one kid moved home and the other one prefers a broom!?@?! I would rather have several of these than one Miele or Rainbow expensive one. I just cannot afford one, but, I still don't think they appeal to me, really. I don't even put these away very often. Weirdo. Wish they'd vacuum the dog hair balls on their own.

I have had it for about four years. At one point, I had an elbow problem that stopped me vacuuming. The cleaner used her own 'industrial vacuum'. When I started cleaning for myself again, I was emptying the canister after every room because the Dyson was so much better than her machine.

This year I went over a piece of gravel, which ground a groove in the turning bar. At about the same time, the hose attachment stuck so I couldn't pull it out to use. I called in service (it came with a five year warranty) and both problems were fixed for free, even though the gravel was my fault.

I like my Dyson.

Laura