Menu

Little House for boys?

naturally

I just started The Little House in the Big Woods with my 6 YO DS last night, and he loved it! We are through chapter 1, and there have been bears, hunting, and other animals so far. My DS was enthralled, but we still have a lot left. He was excited to build a log cabin out of popsicle sticks this morning!

Yes! Back in bricks and M school his whole class, male and female, was into this series.

Also loved the Rose years books (about Laura's daughter.) Many negative comments on Amazon about not being as good as the Laura books--but maybe partly because of not expecting too much, he really enjoyed them... said he thought they were maybe even better than the Laura and Almanzo books.

good to hear - i was considering doing them as historical fiction audiobooks in the car, but i found Caddie Woodlawn first (which i LOVED as a kid) and i'm not sure they'll want to hear both. i keep thinking i should find a book for the civil war which is more war-like.

I haven't read the thread, but my 2E son loved the series, and other than Pilgrim's Progress I think it was the ONLY fiction he read. Other than Little House and PP, he only read nonfiction, mostly biographies, encyclopedias and the Bible. And I THINK he read Jurrassic Park when he was 6 or 7, but...I'm not sure. I just know he stared at the pages for hours a day. :glare: It's hard to know what is going on with some 2E kids.

There is a lot of food writing in the little house. Some people are attracted that. The Famous Five mystery series has a lot of food writing too, if you decide you like that.

My boys loved the whole series. They even liked the last ones where they were grown up, getting married etc. In fact, this series is what FINALLY got my oldest interested in reading long chapter books on his own. Someone mentioned Caddie Woodlawn and they also really liked that. These books aren't "girly", imo, at all.

I just started The Little House in the Big Woods with my 6 YO DS last night, and he loved it! We are through chapter 1, and there have been bears, hunting, and other animals so far. My DS was enthralled, but we still have a lot left.

Exactly!

I have never read the books or watched the show and have been surprised at how 'boy friendly' it really is. DS is loving it.

I got some books on tape for my son when I was taking him to swim practice 40 min away. I think he was about a 6th grader. I got the little house books on tape, He loved them, we also had a boy that we picked up occasionally who was a 9th grader. He too enjoyed listening to the Little house books.

My son's comment was I DIDN'T KNOW GIRLS COULD DO THAT.

I agree about Big Woods and Farmer Boy, but beyond that I'll be the voice of dissent here and say my son barely tolerates reading these. While dd hangs on every word, ds sits there groaning (silently, so as not to interrupt). We are taking a break now after Little Town on the Prairie. Not sure if we'll finish the series.

On the other hand, he ADORES Anne of Green Gables, so I don't think it's a gender thing, I just think he feels the book is wasting his time as Laura gets older and her adventures are less and less lively (while dd just adores every single description of a dress, or corset, or pie!).

I agree about Big Woods and Farmer Boy, but beyond that I'll be the voice of dissent here and say my son barely tolerates reading these. While dd hangs on every word, ds sits there groaning (silently, so as not to interrupt). We are taking a break now after Little Town on the Prairie. Not sure if we'll finish the series.

On the other hand, he ADORES Anne of Green Gables, so I don't think it's a gender thing, I just think he feels the book is wasting his time as Laura gets older and her adventures are less and less lively (while dd just adores every single description of a dress, or corset, or pie!).

Even though my boys likes them, Eldest more so than Youngest. Both boys pointed out that, "They sure do care about clothes, a lot, and I mean a lot a lot".

My boy just adored Farmer Boy. Loved it. Re-read it on his own.

From there we went on to the rest of the series, and he really likes them, too. We have not yet read the books covering Laura's older teen years, and I suspect he won't like some of the girly, dressy stuff, but I think he will still enjoy the books because he has liked the series so well all along.

I'm teaching "Little house on the Prairie" in co-op with 5 boys in the class.

The parents were skeptical that their boys would enjoy the class. But, what's not to love if your a boy?

Indians,

Indian ponies,

making bullets,

digging a well,

a man almost dying while the well was dug

malaria (if it involves someone possibly puking then it's awesome!)

guns

prairie fire

Wolves! (we are doing a big study on them)

Soldiers and stockade building

and we are building a miniture wagon.

The boys were more excited then the girls.

Oh, and don't forget you have to try every single recipe! The way to a young mans heart, is through his stomach! :) They told their parents really like my class.