Menu

What would you do if she was your child?

Hi everyone, I am new to the boards here and new to homeschooling. I have a few questions that I'm hoping that you, with your collective wisdom, can help me with.

My DD1 just turned four. I'm not sure if she is gifted or just plain motivated to learn. We went through hooked on phonics (the older, five-level system) from last September to May and she finished everything. She asked me for "reading class" every single day. So now she's reading at a second grade level. And she reads a lot. It's one of her favorite things to do.

I'm going to try out homeschooling with her starting this August. We will be doing Five in a Row and I'm going to supplement with the Early Bird Singapore math, handwriting without tears (the preschool version), and Explode the Code starting with book three since she already knows all of her consonant combinations really well.

Today she was bored and asked me if she could do some "school stuff." So I got out a math workbook I ordered from Singapore math called power math for kindergarten that I was planning on using with earlybird for extra practice throughout next year. She did one page, which led to another...after 13 pages I told her we were done for the day, but she wanted to do more. Then she asked me "Mommy, will you be my teacher again tomorrow when the sun comes up?" *Sigh* Can you hear my heart melting?

So, my questions are:

1) do you think it is ok to just let her do as much as she wants? Even if that means she wants to do school for two or three hours a day?

2) If we end up getting through all of the math, writing, etc. this year that would normally be kindergarten level, can I start her on the classical education model a year early? I have read some advice against doing that, but if she is ready to do it on her own accord do you think it could work? And if not, what will I do with her next year?

Thanks so much for any advice you have!! I really don't want to start out on the wrong foot!

I definitely advocate that you go at her pace....but *I* would probably do less book work at her age...mainly because I would worry about burnout. If you don't already have them....I suggest the following books:

Discovering Great Artists by MaryAnn F. Kohl and Kim Solga

The Kids' Science Book by Robert Hirschfeld and Nancy White

Science Play by Jill Frankel Hauser

These books are educational without seeming like it.... something I think makes learning more fun and lasting. If she really enjoys doing worksheets you can let her at it...just try to keep it at her pace for now...:001_smile:

Go for it! Follow her lead at this age. She may keep you running for awhile, but she'll probably plateau at some point. Or, she may just always be pulling you along. But, as long as she's asking for it, you won't be hurting her.

How are her handwriting skills? Is she motivated in that area as well?

There is much that can be done orally, if she's not able to write everything. Just do the writing for her in math, phonics, etc. And, of course, keep reading to her, along with having her read to you.

It sounds like you have a good plan. You can certainly start early with most subjects. Just keep doing the math, and add other subjects as you find your groove. And, don't sweat it if she loses steam as the excitement may wear off.

You can also think of going deeper, instead of faster. Take this time to really dig into subjects that interest her. Get lots of books, fiction and non-fiction, from the library. Go on field trips. Find projects. Learn to make lap-books, if that's your sort of thing. Do unit studies, learning everything you can about flowers, or bees, or castles, or whatever interests your dd.

Have fun! It sounds like you're doing great!

If you suspect she may be gifted, look at this site

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org

Absolutely let her go at her own pace. Also, pre-test her as much as possible so she isn't doing things she already knows. If she's able to do 13 pages in one sitting, chances are she might need something with a little more meat to it. A moderately gifted child can master the entire K-5 core curriculum in 3 years. A highly gifted child could do it in 2.

People who advise you against starting her early on more meaty stuff probably do not have gifted kids. If your child is gifted most schoolteachers and other parents have NO CLUE as to how to handle your kid. Find some support in the gifted community. You might want to start with TAGMAX email list (you can find the info on the hoagies site).

I think I would completely follow her lead.

My understanding is that many kids who start like this plateau out later, probably as other parts of their brain and emotional development catch up/develop. I think many people would give you the advice not to push her at all.

I would go with what she is asking now, but maybe be ready to do nothing too, later, when you think she should be doing something because she suddenly turns a magic age. She may need a break.

I am not expert of that age group though, or of gifted kids.

Some kids just are advanced and enjoy "bookishness." What *I* had to do when my dd was young was to say that *I* was available for schooling only at certain times. She still did A LOT, but it didn't drain me for hours on end (esp since I also had a special needs child needing a lot of time and effort at the time).

I would have plenty around for her to read and do otherwise. Have lots of materials on hand for her to DO things. And make sure she is covering some age-appropriate things also because even advanced kids have needs closer to age level (esp sensory wise, getting enough exercise, etc).

But I wouldn't worry one iota about her doing advanced work. You may go to the acceration board for more information and ideas. Lots of kids are doing work several grade levels ahead of their age.

BTW...you don't have to start the sequence for history and such early though. FIAR has more than enough work for a few years and can be adapted to any level. You can go off this way and that taking things further also. And you don't have to worry about holding her back when doing SOTW and such because all of that can be done at a much higher level also. I had middle schoolers doing SOTW 3 just fine. VERY easy to adapt up as necessary.

I think it's just a fine line to walk. Enjoy each stage but don't hold back. We found it easy to go quite broad and deep rather than focusing on linear, however, linear still happened to a degree.

HTHs a little. BTW, I did find help and comfort in the Gifted communities when my kids were younger. I'm sure you'd enjoy them also :)

Thanks so much for your suggestions, everyone! I feel so much better. I've heard so much about the importance of play for kids this age, and she does play a lot and isn't necessarily a serious child, but she does LOVE to learn things, and she is a visual learner for sure. I think that doing the workbooks, learning to read, etc. gives her a huge feeling of accomplishment that she really needs. I was scared that if I didn't let her satisfy her desire to learn now that it might go away and never come back!

I'm definitely going to throw in a lot of projects, outdoor adventures, library trips, field trips, play dates, etc. during the year. We're going to plant a garden, do nature walks, science experiments, and a lot of cooking and crafts and stuff like that. She's happy as long as she is learning how to do something. It's when she is best behaved too, so it really is a joy to teach her. And I will not be pushing her at all. If she's not interested we'll do something else, and see if she is interested later.

Her writing skills aren't very good right now, but she IS wanting to practice more and she is holding her pencil/pen/crayon correctly, so that's a start!

Thanks you so, so much for all the recommendations!!! I'm going to go check out all of the resources that were suggested now. :001_smile:

My DD1 just turned four. I'm not sure if she is gifted or just plain motivated to learn. We went through hooked on phonics (the older, five-level system) from last September to May and she finished everything. She asked me for "reading class" every single day. So now she's reading at a second grade level. And she reads a lot. It's one of her favorite things to do.

So, my questions are:

1) do you think it is ok to just let her do as much as she wants? Even if that means she wants to do school for two or three hours a day?

2) If we end up getting through all of the math, writing, etc. this year that would normally be kindergarten level, can I start her on the classical education model a year early? I have read some advice against doing that, but if she is ready to do it on her own accord do you think it could work? And if not, what will I do with her next year?

Thanks so much for any advice you have!! I really don't want to start out on the wrong foot!

First, welcome to the boards:)

I can tell you from experience, that if your dd is reading at that level, you may very well be disappointed in the traditional school system.

As for your questions, also from experience, I suggest you let her do her thing. If math is what she likes now, let her rip it up. Just be sure she understands the theories of what she is covering. Both my dc did this with their phonics books at about the same age - ds would sit down and do 30 or 40 pages at a time, complete the entire book in a day, if I let him (I did slow him down a bit because I wanted to make sure he actually understood what he was doing), but tested just fine out of each book. At this age, when she tires of math, she may single out something else to consume - let her and support her.

When you think she's ready for the next level, do it. My dc are all over the board - well beyond grade level in some things, right on for others, working extra hard in still others. The wonderful thing about homeschooling is that THIS IS OKAY :).

I'm definitely going to throw in a lot of projects, outdoor adventures, library trips, field trips, play dates, etc. during the year. We're going to plant a garden, do nature walks, science experiments, and a lot of cooking and crafts and stuff like that. She's happy as long as she is learning how to do something. It's when she is best behaved too, so it really is a joy to teach her. And I will not be pushing her at all. If she's not interested we'll do something else, and see if she is interested later.

Remember that pretty much everything is educational. If she wants play, nature study is going for a walk and looking at stuff. If she wants school, nature study is called science. Riding a bike is playing, or physical education. Cooking muffins is playing, or home economics. You can do all the usual sorts of things and label them to suit her mood.

;)

Rosie