Menu

Explode the Code - book 4 or 5 after book 3?

MeganW

For some reason, I seem to think I read somewhere that after ETC 3, a lot of people went on to 5, and saved 4 for when they had finished the rest of the series. I can't find that post though, and I can't remember the reasoning.

We are about halfway through ETC 3, so I need to order the next books. Should I order 4 or 5 next?

My oldest learned how to read fairly quickly, and ETC was always a review for her. When she got to book 4, she could already read the words, but found the syllable division rules confusing. (The idea is to divide the word and then read it using the rules of open/closed syllables.) At the time, I didn't understand it all that well either. We got through book 4, but she struggled with it.

Since then we've been going through AAS, so I now understand it all very well.

My DS, however, has been learning how to read at a slower pace. I tried to skip book 4 with him, and he just couldn't handle the multi-syllable words in book 5. So I went back to book 4. Since I had a better idea of what I was doing the second time around, it went much better with him, and he learned a good bit from it. He still struggles with multi-syllable words, but I try to help him by dividing the words and reminding him about open/closed syllables.

I'd call my 7 yo dd a late reader...she is just now finishing VT and has only recently taken off reading. We have been working through book 4, after finishing book 3 (at the end of first grade) with no issues. She is understanding the concepts as they are taught, and remembering them pretty well. I'm finding that *I* need to review the rules more than she does at this point, since I wasn't taught this way!

I'd call my 7 yo dd a late reader...she is just now finishing VT and has only recently taken off reading. We have been working through book 4, after finishing book 3 (at the end of first grade) with no issues. She is understanding the concepts as they are taught, and remembering them pretty well. I'm finding that *I* need to review the rules more than she does at this point, since I wasn't taught this way!

Hmmm - am I going to need the teacher's book for this one? I haven't used the ones I bought in the past, so planned to skip it, but will buy it if needed.

I know some do that, but I've always just used 4 after 3. It's never been an issue.

:iagree: This has been the case with my oldest 4, as well. But we had already completed Phonics Pathways once we got to book 4, so maybe that made a difference? They weren't seeing syllabification for the first time. (We use ETC as review.)

Sounds like I have to get both and just give 4 a try.

This is what I did and ended up going straight through in order. But my son was reading really well and we use ETC just as phonics reinforcement, not instruction. I'd be more likely to skip 4 if we were using it as instruction while learning to read.

Hmmm - am I going to need the teacher's book for this one? I haven't used the ones I bought in the past, so planned to skip it, but will buy it if needed.

You won't need it. Like the other books it's only needed for 1-2 pages at the end, they are easily skipped.

Here's an old thread about this.