Menu

What do you consider a proper breakfast?

I think everybody ought to eat breakfast. Some protein, a few carbs, and away you go!

I don't think there's any set group or type of foods that constitute a "proper" breakfast - although there are certainly foods that definitely are NOT a proper breakfast. Like a chocolate croissant, for example, is completely delicious:drool5: but is definitely not a proper breakfast...sadly.

Anne

I think breakfast is very important, but what is proper? I'm not so sure. I have always added a piece of fruit to our breakfast, but I read recently that fruit early in the day sets your mind on sweets for the day. I have realized that I do tend to crave sweets more on days that I have fruit with breakfast. :001_huh:

My normal breakfast is fresh fruit mixed in plain yogurt and topped with nuts. If I am up to cooking, I will scramble a few eggs.

DS normally has a homemade muffin, yogurt and fruit.

Just some healthy food, doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food.

For my family it is usually a whole grain with fruit, maybe some nuts to keep everyone full til lunch.

Oatmeal with apples and walnuts, maybe milk

Rice cooked with raisins, nuts, spinach

or potato or sweet potato pancakes

or toast with nut butter, fruit

muffins with soymilk

or once in a while, a smoothie with greens, frozen fruit, flax seeds

but it could be leftover beans and rice from the night before

or even leftover homemade pizza

We're not big breakfast eaters. Most days a proper breakfast for me is a piece of fruit. The kids usually have cold cereal with milk.

I only have 1 kid that will eat pancakes or waffles, and none of them will eat eggs so things like that almost never make the breakfast table.

Since we would all skip breakfast if given a choice, I'm really just glad if they eat anything at all.

I think it depends on the person and their day. I eat Greek yogurt with flax and fresh fruit for breakfast everyday. My breakfast makes my mom feel ill if she eats it. She has oatmeal which leaves me feeling hungry after an hour.

I made peanut butter gluten free waffles with berries and chicken breakfast sausages for breakfast this morning for my kids. I try to fill them up with complex carbohydrates and a side of fruit and protein.

For me I can't do high carb things like waffles, bagels, etc or I'll suddenly "hit a wall" around 3 pm and just want to take a nap.

Lately though I've been having Rice Chex with a bunch of fruit in it (loads of strawberries and blueberries) and unsweetened vanilla almond milk and it is so tremendously satisfying & keeps me full for hours.

I LOVE eggs but I generally have eggs for lunch so I don't have them very often for breakfast. We had some gluten free egg burritos for breakfast this morning though which were awesome.

We're not big breakfast eaters. Most days a proper breakfast for me is a piece of fruit. The kids usually have cold cereal with milk.

I only have 1 kid that will eat pancakes or waffles, and none of them will eat eggs so things like that almost never make the breakfast table.

Since we would all skip breakfast if given a choice, I'm really just glad if they eat anything at all.

:iagree:

My kids (ages 7 and 4.5) usually have one of the following for breakfast, and I consider them a proper breakfast (all homemade and they don't know what syrup is yet LOL so none of that, either.).

- Pancakes & fruit

- Waffles & fruit

- Oatmeal & fruit

- Eggs, toast, & fruit (sometimes a meat if we have it or cheese grits)

- Yogurt & fruit

- Egg & Cheese Sandwich

- French Toast & fruit or a meat

Sometimes if we are in a rush I will do Van's waffles or a bagel with cream cheese or something, but those are rare, maybe once a month or less? For some reason I don't consider those proper breakfasts for my family. I'm not sure why! But I just don't. Same with cereal. My kids have never had it for breakfast because I just didn't want to get into that habit but they will eat it as a snack sometimes. I don't know where my logic comes from! I'd actually prefer they didn't have waffles or pancakes or even french toast for breakfast either but my husband really enjoys making this for them. I guess I just don't like the start of the day to be with a ton of carbs if I can help it.

Because DS takes medicine that makes lunch harder to eat I try to get as much protein and whole grains in him as I can, as well as some healthy fats.

We might have leftovers from a dinner, or grilled ham egg and cheese sandwiches on sourdough or whole grain bread, or multi grain cinnamon raison cereal with butter and almond milk and a handful of shaved ham on the side. Lunch is usually chopped fruit salad and yogurt, or carnation shakes made with almond milk and a string cheese. Or even steamed sugar snap peas. He just won't do anything heavy while his meds are kicked in.

My dh and dd1 would think that chips or cereal count as a good breakfast, no matter how many times I disagree. I like to have a dairy and fruit, like yogurt or cottage cheese, usually with fresh or dried fruit mixed in. Sometimes I'll have a fried egg sandwich or eggs and hashbrowns... depends on how motivated I feel in the morning. Cereal feels like a joke to me. Who can make it until lunch with that??

I think this depends on the person. My family can't tolerate dairy, so that rules out several foods I would consider to be good breakfast foods.

I like smoothies and a protein (egg or nuts usually)

10yo dd likes muesli, oatmeal or rice pudding. Any of these leave me famished an hour later.

8yo dd is not at all hungry in the mornings. It is a struggle to get her to eat anything, so I settle with smoothie popsicles, baked oatmeal, muesli, or sometimes just fruit topped with a little nondairy yogurt. :tongue_smilie:

I consider a proper breakfast to be whatever type of food makes your body feel fueled for the morning. It is different for everyone in my family. :001_huh:

Neither DH nor I are breakfast eaters. We generally have "green juice".

DS has multiple food allergies that make traditional breakfast foods hard (eggs, wheat, dairy, and soy among them), so they tend to get healthy but unconventional foods (today, it was leftover chicken breast, baked potato, and carrots).

Well, if I was going to tell someone what a "proper" breakfast was, I'd have protein, grain, and fruit, and dairy if appropriate. But, that's not our usual MO.

I always have a bowl of cold cereal and OJ. The boys usually have oatmeal (oats and milk, brown sugar and cinnamon), usually with some fruit mixed in. ODS has OJ, YDS will only drink water.

Well, my proper breakfast is fruit and walnuts. It works for me. Dh has meat, eggs, and whole wheat toast, waffles, pancakes or hash browns. It works for him. Dd has fruit and sometimes egg whites. It works for her. Ds usually has French toast or whole wheat waffles. You guessed it, it works for him.

I would consider our weekend breakfasts proper I guess. Eggs, toast, bacon or sausage, maybe pancakes. But that only happens if dh is home. I usually have oatmeal or cereal with a cup of tea during the week.

Ds only has a Pediasure for breakfast. Dd will eat yogurt, fruit, bacon, toast, pancakes, cereal and tea.

Just like the other thread...proper is whatever you want to eat, within reason. We don't stick to stereotypical "breakfast" foods. You can have leftovers, pizza, cereal, vegetables, whatever. Breakfast doesn't have to just be cereal, pankcakes, eggs, etc. DH and I don't eat breakfast, though my DS does every day.

Anything that comes out of some kind of pot and fits in a mug.

I'm not a morning person.

:lol:

Here breakfast generally comes in one or two of these forms: eggs, some kind of grain/ bread based item (bagel, cereal, pancakes, waffle, French toast), oatmeal and Greek yogurt. I'm the only one who tends to have fruit (usually berries) and have been known to sneak a sweet potato, squash or fruit into the waffles and pancakes. I tend to prefer some kind of protein with breakfast but the monkeys seem fine with breads and grains.

proper is whatever you want to eat, within reason. We don't stick to stereotypical "breakfast" foods. You can have leftovers, pizza, cereal, vegetables, whatever. Breakfast doesn't have to just be cereal, pankcakes, eggs, etc.

:iagree:

Although we usually have more traditional, easy-to-grab breakfast fare -- cereal or oatmeal, toaster waffles, PB toast, yogurt or a granola bar, sometimes one of the boys will grab some leftover pizza or something similar. And I'm fine with that.

This is my kids. The ones that go to public school don't want to eat at 6:30 so I am lucky to get anything into them. The other want to eat at about 9 so I am able to get them something like fruit and pancakes or eggs.

Something hot. We cycle through the same breakfasts: bacon/ham and eggs with toast/biscuits, pancakes/French toast and bacon, oatmeal/cream of wheat. There's always fruit, coffee, orange juice and milk. Sometimes, we'll throw in a batch of cinnamon rolls. Our two year old always has a cup of Greek yogurt.

On days when my husband is off, we gravitate towards a large, leisurely breakfast and a late lunch/early dinner.

I guess proper to me is that we ate something wholesome and homemade, at the table, in gratitude. The food selection itself is secondary.

For the actual foods, honestly, I think the greatest breakfast ever invented is a soft-boiled egg, slice of homemade bread with a bit of butter, and fresh squeezed oj. I would rather have that than just about anything else. But I never want it first thing in the morning.

I'm with those who say that it doesn't have to be traditional breakfast foods. We don't like pankakes or waffles and think boxed cereal is highway robbery.

On Mondays I make a pot of soup/lentils/pasta/whatever for lunches and sometimes we have that for breakfast instead lunch. Sometimes we have the boiled eggs from above. Sometimes we have granola (I keep homemade granola on hand for meals or snacks on the go). Sometimes my favorite is berries and nuts and sometimes it's potato soup.

In my real life I have tea till 11 or 12 and then have breakfast. I don't think tea by itself is a proper breakfast but it is what I like and want.

This morning I had leftover chicken taco filling over brown rice, plus cheese.

I don't do well with high carb breakfasts such as fruit, pancakes, or waffles (or fruit juice, heaven forbid). Cereal usually falls into that category, too, and the thought of cow's milk in the morning makes me queasy, although yogurt's okay.

I need a boatload of protein, some healthy fats, and a wee bit of carb. I could hang out a Rosie's house easily, eating dahl or beans and salad.

I love breakfast. I just don't like typical U.S. breakfast food in the morning.

I can't eat typical breakfast foods for breakfast. They just don't appeal to me at all, and we usually have them for dinner during the week instead. I usually just eat cheese, Triscuits, and a handful of almonds in the morning. If we have pizza leftovers, I always eat that instead of my 'usual'.

Dds and dh prefer, what most consider, a proper breakfast. They eat eggs, toast/biscuits, and bacon/sausage. On the weekends they usually eat doughnuts.

What do you consider a "proper breakfast?" Or, if you are one who doesn't eat breakfast, do you think that is proper?

A proper breakfast for me is trying not to spill my coffee as I walk out the door to work. :tongue_smilie:

My kids get actual nutrition... Eggs, toast, oatmeal, etc.

We do bigger breakfast meals on the weekend.