Menu

What do you consider to be a proper lunch/dinner?

Proper as in well balanced, or as in what I'd serve guests?

At home on a regular day, I tend to make up trays of finger foods for the kids. They seem to really like that, its simple, everyone will eat, and there isn't a lot of washing up. And it's healthy. So I usually include cut up cheese or meat, veggies and fruit, maybe buttered bread or biscuits, or even something like popcorn or rolled up tortillas with peanut butter cut into disks.

Usually for lunch we have water to drink, though the kids would prefer juice or milk.

Proper as in well balanced, or as in what I'd serve guests?

At home on a regular day, I tend to make up trays of finger foods for the kids. They seem to really like that, its simple, everyone will eat, and there isn't a lot of washing up. And it's healthy. So I usually include cut up cheese or meat, veggies and fruit, maybe buttered bread or biscuits, or even something like popcorn or rolled up tortillas with peanut butter cut into disks.

Usually for lunch we have water to drink, though the kids would prefer juice or milk.

It doesn't necessarily have to be what you'd serve guests, but could include that, I suppose. I'm interested in what others' ideas of "proper" constitute, so I'd like to leave the definition of "proper" as open as possible. :001_smile:

To me, this one really varies depending on what is being served the rest of the day. If we have a very protein/ fat heavy breakfast, lunch might be fruit, nut and veggie focused. If the kids choose cereal and fruit for breakfast, we'll probably be eating lunch by 11, and it will probably be something substantial. It also depends on what leftovers need to eaten. Dh eats dinner leftovers, so they are generally a full meal. This week, the kids and I had lunches ranging from salmon, vegetable sushi and veggies (Thurs) to pinto beans and raw veggies (Wed)

For lunch we usually have one of these:

- Leftovers from last nights meal

- Sandwich with a veggie & a fruit (sandwiches could be meat & cheese, tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad, pb&j, etc.)

- Hummus w/ carrots & a fruit

- Salad with a lot of different toppings

- Mac N cheese with broccoli & fruit (more rare than the others)

Very, very rarely we will do something like a hot dog with a veggie and fruit. Most days for me it is leftovers and most days for the kids it is one of the other options above, but sometimes they have leftovers and I have a sandwich or whatever. For me, it just means something I can make quick that is halfway healthy. I try to do a veggie & fruit with it as well.

Edited by HomeschoolMamaOfTwo

What do you consider to be a "proper lunch/dinner?" By lunch/dinner, I mean the noon meal.

For me, a "proper lunch" would include a protein, a fruit and/or veggie serving, a drink, and at least about 500 calories but no more than, say, 1500 (which would be for a special occasion). Complex carbs and/or low-fat dairy or dairy substitute are OK but optional.

From another angle, a "proper lunch" would consist of food (if I can't pronounce it, and/or it's not found in nature, it's not food), mostly plants, with minimal sugar and/or simple carbs.

A "proper lunch" would be eaten at a table (or table substitute such as picnic blanket), with non-disposable plates/bowls and cutlery, ideally accompanied by other people and light conversation.

A proper lunch need not be expensive or fancy in any way. Simple and inexpensive is fine.

I do not serve a "proper lunch", or a "proper dinner" every day.

Well, proper for my house consists of peanut butter on whole grain waffles for ds, butter on a whole grain waffle for dd, and a salad with canned salmon or tuna or dinner leftovers for me.

Not what I would serve guests but that is what ds will eat. Dd occasionally may have yogurt or fruit or cheese and crackers instead.

Dh and I have an ongoing disagreement about what constitutes an adequate lunch. My view is that a sandwich and a piece of fruit is a perfectly nice lunch. Dh feels that sandwiches are snack food and that lunch should be "hot food." So during the week he either brings leftovers or buys a hot lunch at a cafeteria at his workplace. On weekend days he regularly asks me what we are having for lunch, to which I cheerily reply, "I'm making sandwiches, would you like one?" He invariably looks disappointed, which I studiously ignore, and then he boils himself up some spaghetti. The comforting rituals of marriage. :)