Menu

If my 10 yr old like putting things together, what educ. toys would you recommend?

We have Snap Circuits and i will probably get him an even larger set (we have the 200 unit). We have a robotic arm kit that is just a little too advanced for him right now. (he wants to be able to do it on his own). He says "he wants to learn to build things"" in particular electronic things, but bridges, Kapla and lego are also amongst his favorite. I am looking for smething, i think, a bit "older" or more complex than Snap Circuits and Kapla, but not as advanced as our robotic arm kit.

Ideas?

Popular in my house right now (my son also loves snap circuits and Legos):

An erector set, one with the motors.

Thames and Kosmos Physics or Solar Physics kits.

"Real" wiring kits. Quite a few companies make cheap kits that kids can build a moving car, fan, light, and other simple projects using actual wires. DS quickly progressed from these to building his own toy cars and adding on/off switches and other working embellishments to them with the help of our local Radio Shack!

Popular in my house right now (my son also loves snap circuits and Legos):

An erector set, one with the motors.

Thames and Kosmos Physics or Solar Physics kits.

"Real" wiring kits. Quite a few companies make cheap kits that kids can build a moving car, fan, light, and other simple projects using actual wires. DS quickly progressed from these to building his own toy cars and adding on/off switches and other working embellishments to them with the help of our local Radio Shack!

Ty! Can you tell me the names of those companies?

I'm not sure of the company names off the top of my head, and the boxes are long gone! I think one was named Science Whiz. They are very inexpensive, maybe $10, and I've seen them at hobby stores, craft stores and big book stores. The kits aren't too thrilling on their own, it was the stepping stone it provided for DS to branch off to making his own projects with raw materials that made them well worth the money.

Zometool. It has the added benefit of being educational without their knowledge. :tongue_smilie:

When the weather cools off, I'm going to reconstruct the kids' science/tinkering lab in the garage. For Christmas, DS9 (very close to 10 then :)) will be getting a subscription to Make Magazine (with this issue being the Christmas morning give-away), new accessories for his Dremel, and a Lowe's gift certificate.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

When I read the thread title, the first thought that popped into my head is that this boy needs to become best friends with a boy that likes to take things apart. Just send them to the basement, and feed them every few hours.

Another vote here for Mindstorms. We got the yellow set when it first came out (RCT?) and then the gray one when the yellow was discontinued (NXT) and moved up to a Vex Robotics kit. Lots of mileage out of that.

Or have him shadow a builder, carpenter, tile-layer, etc.