Menu

Favorite family games/activities?

We disconnected the t.v two weeks ago, :( and I am looking for things to do in the evenings. We love board games, but some of them take too long. We have something going on every night but Thursday, (sports, music, or scouts ) and we have been going through books like crazy.

I'm looking for suggestions for games etc. that we can play in about 30 min or less. What are some of your fav's?

We disconnected the t.v two weeks ago, :( and I am looking for things to do in the evenings. We love board games, but some of them take too long. We have something going on every night but Thursday, (sports, music, or scouts ) and we have been going through books like crazy.

I'm looking for suggestions for games etc. that we can play in about 30 min or less. What are some of your fav's?

We like Blokus (would push the 30 minutes I think) and Blink (takes about 1 minute/game).

What ages are your kids?

SET, Fictionary (very fast and fun), Fluxx (although..I will warn you that the company that produces these last two donates part of their proceeds to a fund working for the legalization of marijuana), Cranium Family Fun, Apples to Apples Kids or Jr (the Kids is better for younger kids), Loot, Pictionary Jr, The Settlers of Catan (although this takes longer than 30 minutes), Mancala, Mastermind, Taboo for Kids, Life

Also, a good suggestion would be to buy the Hoyle book of card games. They have a *ton* of different card games you can play and all you need to buy is a few decks of cards.

I come from a big family and we play a *ton* of games. Even when I go home now we play a ton of games while I'm there.

One game I hate? Sorry! Ugh, it takes forever, I hate it.

Are you getting much resistance from your kids? Is it going to be temporary or permanent? I feel crazy just thinking of what backlash that would bring me! hee!

Anyway, games: our 2 new favorites are Hyperdash (sort of like that electronic game Simon, but you have to run to the targets to hit them. You can be clever about where you put the targets in the room or even through the house!), and The New Touch Game (you put your hand in a large dome shaped thing and try to figure out which game pieces are the ones you're "looking" for).

Another idea though - I've always though it would be fun to learn a hobby with my kids. I don't knit, so I thought maybe we should try that all together sometime. Or perhaps photography, video-making, scrapbooking, woodworking, or some other craft which you could learn TOGETHER. I think I'd like to do that at some point with my kids.

Let us know how it goes. Good job! :-)

- Stacey in MA

Scrabble

Chinese Checkers

Yahtzee

Risk

Clue

How about working on a big jigsaw puzzle?

Do a scavenger hunt in the house?

Look at the constellations from the backyard & make up your own constellations?

Do an 'old-time' radio hour -- listen to a book or an old radio show on tape. Everyone could sit around & color/knit/etc... while listening. There's a homeschool radio shows website where you can download different audio programs each week, but the name is escaping me right now.

Personally, one game I can't stand is Monopoly -- too long & tedious.

Sounds like you guys are having a fun time! Congrats on unplugging the tube!!!

Hyperdash, that sounds like it would be almost (gulp) excercise! I might feel like we had gone from couch potato to 5 K or something! (BG) Hmm, maybe not a bad idea.

How's it going? Welllllll, not as bad as I thought, but I cheat. I connect and watch the news after the dc go to bed. They check every morning (I think) to see if I forgot to disconnect. They are doing much better than I thought they would. They have been reading up a storm, and it just tickles dh. I don't know if it will be permanent or not, but we realized the dc were growing up too fast, and we wanted to do more as a family while they still liked us! LOL!

the post about knitting reminded me.........

Knifty Knitters

These are great little gadgets. They are round or rectangular hoops with pegs on them. You knit on them (obviously) and they are simple enough for a 3-4 year old to do. You can make scarves, hats, small blankets.........they are very cool. My daughter saw a friend with one so I bought her a set at Michael's and she made all her Christmas presents on these things and even taught her brothers how to use it. It is very easy, cheap and fun!

Ok, a follow up question about Apples to Apples. My dc are 11, 9,and 9. Should I get the Jr. version, or just the reg Apples to Apples?

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far! Oh, and fwiw- I hate Monopoly (ds loves it) and Sorry as well!

I would definitely get the Jr. and/or the kids. They have different cards and it would be easy to combine them. Expansion packs are a wonderful thing.

Here's how you play Apples to Apples (if you've played Cranium's Whoonu, it's very similar):

one person is the judge

they deal 5 red apple cards to each player

they play a green apple card

each player lays down a card they think matches the green apple card

the judge picks the best answer (not necessarily the closest match, sometimes the funniest answer or whatever)

Some of the green cards in the adult pack are not necessarily kid-friendly. Lots of actors, musicians, political figures, etc.

Scotland Yard by Ravensburger which we just bought. My dh said he used to play it when he was a teen and we all love it. Great game for using deductive reasoning!

Here is the description:

This clever detective game has won awards and fans all over the world. Mr. X, a fixture on England's "Most Wanted" list, is on the run in London. Will Scotland Yard find and capture him before time runs out? One player takes the part of Mr. X and slinks around the city, leaving clues for the others, who are the Scotland Yard detective team. Was the elusive Mr. X last seen at Buckingham Palace or Madame Tussaud's? Did he travel by bus or taxi? Strategy skills and teamwork will help Scotland Yard players trap Mr. X and win the game. If, on the other hand, Mr. X manages to escape capture, he (or she) wins. The game includes a playing board, log book, visor, 6 playing pieces, 20 cards and 125 travel tickets. For 3 to 6 players.

We also like Apples to Apples, the Amaze-ing Labyrinth, Rack-O, Clue and Clue FX, Chinese Checkers and we're getting ready to buy Dutch Blitz because we've heard such good reviews.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! :D I will pull out some of the ones I forgot we had (uno, yahtzee, plain old cards, etc.).

A couple more questions if you don't mind? Where do you buy Ravensburger games? The Scotland yard game sounds fun, and I saw the amazing labyrinth a couple of years ago (in family fun I think?), but don't know where to buy them.

Also, What is 10 days in Africa and who makes it?

We have Scrambled states of America and love it. Is there anything like this for world geography?

One more- what was the name of that game someone mentioned on the old boards- I think it had "pickle" in the name?

Oh, and you already know this, but

You people are AWESOME! :)