Menu

I'm having a baby in a week or 2...

...but I'm not due for 7 more weeks!!!

I'm being induced due to complications. I knew this day was coming, we've been having problems for months, yet I am struggling to wrap my head around this.

Anyone who has had a preemie, I would love to hear your story. What can I expect? I am positively freaking out!!

My first was 5.5 weeks early. He was in the nicu for almost two weeks. His lungs were not fully developed, he needed steroid treatments and a vent.

My second was 3 weeks early. He was in the nicu for 6 days. His lungs were developed but wet. He was on oxygen to dry them out, but no vent.

If you are going to deliver early, talk to your ob about steroid shots. I was told about them after my first, they should have giving them to me... But it was a small country ob practice. They are supposed to speed up the baby's lung development.

I don't have a story or any advice, but I am due on November 12th, so I'm sending prayers your way!! :grouphug:

OK, maybe I do have some advice.... my friend just had a baby and they spent two weeks in the NICU, which is where I assume your baby will be. Their other children were not allowed in the NICU and there were lots of logistics to figure out, regarding who stays in the NICU, who watches the kids, dinner, etc.

Also, bring some books, I have read that reading to a baby in the NICU is a good way to help him/her. It can calm them down and comfort them, which may help them heal faster. Also, push to get your colostrum/breast milk into baby as soon as possible, that's what my friend did, and the baby was released a few days before they said he would be.

:grouphug::grouphug: The Drama was slightly preemie with the steroid shots to prep. She was in the NICU for 2.5 weeks. I pumped for her feeding tube and she slowly learned to nurse. We had to wait 7 days for antibiotics, then she had some apnea and had to stay for 7 days apnea-free. Have lots of freezer meals and snacks made up in advance. Living off the hospital vending machine wasn't helpful. She had some sensory/communication issues as a toddler, but went through Early Intervention and graduated with flying colors. No issues now whatsoever.

My DD was born at 34w2d. She needed surgery when she was two days old to remove a huge cyst (size of a small orange) from her ovary (we knew about it before she was born).

Because of the surgery she wasn't able to start trying to nurse until she was about 6 days old. She spent a total of 11 days in the NICU. I think if she hadn't needed surgery, she probably would have only been in the hospital for 5 or 6 days.

:grouphug:

My dd was one of the few who were 6 weeks early and came home the next day... She was able to nurse, keep her temp stable and her oxygen level was close to 90%... SHE WAS SO TINY!

She did make up for it a few weeks later as she caught a nasty virus-- so be careful about letting people 'see' (as in touch) the baby for a while... we had our 3 weeks in the intensive care...

My dd was one of the few who were 6 weeks early and came home the next day... She was able to nurse, keep her temp stable and her oxygen level was close to 90%... SHE WAS SO TINY!

:iagree:I had both mine at 35 w 1d and both came home with me after 48 hours. 1 nursed, 1 did not. 1 needed oxygen and iv sugar for 12 hours, the other should have had some intervention but did not (ped thought that since she weighed 6lb 1 oz, that my dates were wrong. But I'd had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and there was no doubt about the dates.)

While this is not the typical outcome, it does happen, and can give you hope!

Hello,

Our triplets were born at 35 weeks (they weighed 5lb. 14oz, 5lbs., and 4lb. 5oz.) didn't go to the NICU. Their preemie issues were: SLOW eating and difficulty nursing, LOTS of spit-up, slept more than full-term newborns, needed to be swaddled tightly to sleep, and were just so tiny they didn't fit in newborn clothes or diapers for a little while. We had to be very careful with visitors and couldn't have them around kids at first. They didn't have any weight to spare, so I was nervous about how much they were eating.

They did great, grew super quickly, and had no preemie issues (health or developmental) at all, for which we are grateful. They just turned 8 1/2!

The very best to you and your sweet new one,

Julie

Best of luck! I am due Nov 9th, and have had a very complicated pregnancy. I may end up with a preemie like you as well, but we will see.

My youngest was born at 26 weeks, weighing 1 lb, 12 oz. He spent 56 days in the NICU, but is currently a thriving, gifted 6 year old. Wishing you the best of luck, your 35 weeker will likely be very healthy!

My thoughts and prayers are with you. All three of mine have been premature, all with different stories.

#1 -- 34 wks -- no advance notice, so I had no steroid shots or anything; he was 4 lbs, 14 ozs, needed a few doses of surfactan (sp??) to help his lungs after he was born; he had oxygen for a few days (1 or 2?), no problems nursing even from the beginning, mild jaundice, was in the NICU for 13 days.

#2 -- 35 wks -- was my biggest baby, 6 lbs, 5 ozs. He never needed oxygen, but had to be bottle fed in the hospital as he didn't nurse well at first and his glucose/blood sugar levels dropped; he did have to have an IV, though at this point I don't remember why; his biggest issue was jaundice but they kept me in the hospital the longest allowed by insurance and he came home the next day; he was only ever in intermediate care, not NICU, and only had to stay b/c of the jaundice. No advance notice with him, either, so no steroids, etc., he was just healthier.

#3 -- 31 wks -- 3 lbs, 9 ozs and stayed 49 days in NICU (7 wks). Oxygen, feeding tube, apnea, bradycardia (low heart rate/sudden drops in heart rate), jaundice, severe reflux, etc. He had to be fed very small amounts at first (his first feed was I think 7 CCs/mL; just more than a teaspoon) and then over a pump that administered the feed, into his tube, over the course of an hour. Even when his feed was still less than an ounce. He was on what seemed like a gazillion medicines, had tubes and wires and IVs and monitors. He came home on an apnea/bradycardia monitor, which he was on for a few months, and he received ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) therapies for the first 15 months, and then again from about 2 to 2.5 yrs (speech that time).

As you can see, things can be all over the place, but at 35 weeks or so, your little one should be pretty healthy. If you get the steroid shots for baby (which I assume they'll do), so much the better. My biggest and best piece of advice --- ask the nurses, doctor, anyone & everyone to clarify anything you don't understand. With my first, I didn't know that room air, what we all breathe, is 21% oxygen. So when they said he was on 40% oxygen, I didn't really know what that meant. Get them to explain, and make friends with the nurses.

Also, one thing I wish someone would have thought of for me -- when you leave the hospital, if your little one has to stay in NICU for a bit, have someone carry down all your stuff --- flowers, balloons, etc., anything people have sent you/given you as a congrats --- before you are wheeled down to your car. It won't lessen the ache as you leave your baby in the hospital, but it will save you from the curious stares as people wonder why on earth you are leaving with "It's a Boy!'" or "It's a Girl!" balloons but no baby. And designate someone in your family/circle of friends to get the word out if baby has to stay in the hospital, so that random people don't see you a week later at the grocery store and stare at you in shock and ask, rudely and incredulously, why you are out of the house without the baby.

:grouphug: I'll keep you & your little one in my prayers.

Thanks everyone for your stories and support. It is rather scary. This baby is IUGR and is only estimated to be 3lbs. She may also need surgery on her bowels. My other kids came out full term and 9+ lbs so this is a very different experience! I'm hoping she comes out healthy, just small.

I have 3 girls. #1 was full term & a healthy pregnancy. #2 - completely unexpected situation: severe preeclampsia resulting in emergency c section. She was born at 29 weeks and weighed 2 lbs 9 oz. She stayed in NICU for over 30 days, and came home weighing about 3.5 lbs. #3 - we knew we faced risk of preeclampsia again, but did everything we could to prevent it. She was born at 30 weeks and weighed 2 lbs 14 oz. She stayed in NICU for 28 days and came home around 3.5 lbs.

It is scary at first to hold such a tiny baby. My NICU nurses were really good at pushing moms forward and getting them to care for their babies - changing those tiny diapers, taking temperatures, coming in for bathtime, arriving for feedings, etc. Pumping breastmilk is the earliest thing you can do to help your baby - even if you cannot hold or touch your baby, you can bottle that milk. When you are able to start holding your baby, ask about Kangaroo Care. Wear a button-down shirt, and have the nurse put the baby skin-to-skin on your chest. This helps the baby with breathing, heartrate, etc., plus it helps with that bonding time between you and baby.

Breastfeeding - don't expect it to go well until baby reaches due date. My 2nd dd started to latch on about 1 month after her due date, but didn't nurse. It seemed like such a fail, 4 months after she was born, and I gave up. Looking back now, I know I could've gotten her to nurse if I'd just stuck it out a little bit longer! My 3rd dd, though, began to latch around her due date, and I kept trying - she became a full time nursing baby not long after that. She nursed for 2 years and 4 months, lol!

My 3rd dd is now 3 and the most common thing I hear people say is "is she big for a 3yo?" This throws me for a loop because she was so tiny at birth, and I'm a rather short person anyway:)

My boys were born at 34 weeks and 34 weeks 2 days. How it goes will really depend on baby. My boys were good size with good lungs. They both had extended jaundice, but were otherwise healthy.

I had to pump for the first couple weeks. Oldest had a bottle and nursed when he could, youngest had a feeding tube and nursed when he could. It took a bit of effort, but they both ended up nursing just fine.

Enjoy your baby! Let the medical staff do their job while you babymoon with your new blessing.

Oh, and take any and all help offered, and ask for it when needed.

:grouphug:

Ds3 was induced at exactly 35w and was just fine. Tiny, of course, but fine.

He was rooming in with me (after five hours of observation in an incubator) and left the hospital when I was discharged.

He needed to be "motivated" to nurse: I talked to him constantly telling him how important it was! As soon as I would stop talking he would fall asleep...:lol:

This lasted about 10days, afterwards he was a vigorous nurser.

I have a good friend who has five children, all of them born in the 35-36 week range. She's just a fast baby cooker, I guess. As far as I recall, there was only one who did a brief stint in the NICU. Meanwhile, my son was born full-term and had to stay there four days! Don't freak out in advance, just take everything - including your beautiful new baby! - as it comes.

My youngest was born at 25w and had a long stay in NICU, almost 4m. Most babies that came through NICU and SCN that were born around 35w when Mum had notice and had received steroid shots did not require any assistance with breathing. It was only feeding and putting on weight they were monitoring.

Some who were spontaneously born at 35w did require a little bit of assistance, mostly CPAP for a day or 2 while baby 'woke up' a bit.

If your bub is IUGR as you say you can probably expect to spend a while in NICU or SCN. Most of the IUGR babies we came across were slow to gain and stayed right up to or past their due dates. Mostly because they didn't have the stamina to master suck feeds.

It will be a hard time for your family. Make sure you have someone available for transport if you have a c-section. Make sure your kids know they might not be able to meet the little one for a while. Our hospi had no visitation to the nurseries, but all hospi's are different. Certainly cook meals and freeze in prep.

Hugs, it's a tough time.

My earliest was born at 34 wks 5 days. I was so nervous. Ask lots of questions- worst case senarios with a baby born so early. In the delivery room we had a nurse practitioner, respiratory therapist and a couple extra nurses just for the baby. He was born breathing and a good size (7 lbs) but his breath rate was too high so he ended up in the NICU for 6 days. He did not need oxygen but he did have all the leads all over him and an IV. I could go right in there any time I wanted and hold him and nurse him. HIs breathing was fine after 2 days, but it took a long time to wean him off his sugar water (which makes me wonder why on earth he needed it in the first place) and then on the 5th day his jaundice spiked so he got to spend some time under the lights.

The nurses were great in the NICU. I was discharged after 2 days but stayed in the NICU the rest of the time. I was completely exhausted from a few nights of 1-2 hours of sleep so I went home and took a 5 hour nap which was the best decision. I'd also go home to shower and see the kids once a day. My husband stayed home with the kids at night and half the day then dropped them off at family/friends houses for 5-6 hours each day to come visit me and baby.

It was so, so hard for the kids to be on the other side of the glass when visiting their baby brother. They really wanted to meet him!

NUrsing went ok. He would fall asleep very often, but sticking to it got us there. I also pumped to stimulate milk flow since he had such a weak suck.

The only thing different about him compared to my other kids was that he slept all the time (had to wake him for bottles) and had a weaker suck.

Best of luck to you!

:grouphug: I had a "barely" preemie; Sylvia was born at 36 weeks exactly due to complete placenta previa. I received steroid shots at 32 weeks when I was admitted with severe bleeding. It was almost an emergency C-section. She was tiny and had borderline severe jaundice that required an extra day in the hospital. She was under an oxygen hood briefly, but no NICU time. They monitored her weight closely for about a month.

Other than walking and PTing late, she's shown no ill effects of her early birth.

Oh, I am so glad to hear an update. I have been thinking and praying for you. I am sorry you are looking at a pre-term birth. It is very scary. Will the hospital you'll be delivering at have a NICU? I would call them and ask for a "tour" - it is a bit different to do it that way (and they'll probably have a neonatologist stop by to introduce themselves when you get checked in at L&D for a delivery) but you can certainly call the NICU, and explain your situation. They will give you a tour, you will speak to a nurse, and maybe the neonatologist.

First things first - Handwashing. Scrub.Scrub.Scrub. Make sure that no one visits who has even a sniffle. Also most times children under a 13 are not allowed in the NICU so be prepared to arrange alternate care. Visiting hours for parents are normally 24/7, and some NICU's have two hour blocks with no visitors so nurse shifts can change and give report (this will vary from NICU-to-NICU).

Be prepared with some extra receiving blankets - with some color - they will help spruce up the cot. Don't worry about infant clothing - NICU will either keep baby undressed/partially dressed and they provide their own clothing for the most part. If you do bring anything, keep it simple and easy to take off/on. write the baby's name (or your last name, if name is undecided) on the tag of all clothing in permanent ink. I kept a small basket of clothing under the baby's "bed". Preemie clothing will be swimming on your LO-- which is why I mentioned blankets (or hats)

We did a "tour" of our local NICU before my DD was born. At 28w, I was told that delivery was imminent due to IUGR. We were shown around the NICU, and the Dr. let us sit next to a newborn baby who was only about two hours old born at 28w. I felt it was great because I established rapport with a couple of the NICU nurses and became more familiar with the facility - my DD ended up being born at full-term even with her IUGR and she did not need the NICU.

This book is a great resource for Preemie parents http://www.amazon.com/Preemies-Edition-Essential-Parents-Premature/dp/1416572325/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348447800&sr=8-2&keywords=preemie+book

If you are interested in breastfeeding, the NICU will often have a hospital-grade pump they may be able to loan out for you so that you can pump while you are away from baby / if baby is having issues latching/sucking. Even if the baby is not BFing (and you are supplying BM) you can pump in the 'babys room' (a curtained off area) which will help stimulate your supply.

My son had IUGR and was born at 35w4days and spent 2w in the NICU. My DD had IUGR and was born at 37w after two delivery scares at 28w and 32w. Best of luck to you!!!!