Menu

i have a just turned 6 year old who i feel like i'm not really reaching. we do explode the code which he does and is learning from. we do miquon (when i have enough time away from baby) and dreambox learning and he seems to be doing ok with that too. we are trying to listen to sotw on cd, but there doesn't seem to be much comprehension. we are trying visualize world geography and no interest in that. we tried to do a cave drawing and he drew a robot, after we talked about what was around back then and what wasn't. he had heard his brother say that robots weren't around and he remembered robot so he drew it! :001_huh:this boy of mine seems different to me. he seems very young for his age. does that make sense? he just seems emotionally and academically young. i don't think he has any learning or physical issues. i just know that what worked for my 9 year old is not going to work for this boy.

i guess my question is, what are some specific things that worked for your kids. i'm not necessarily looking for curriculum suggestions, but specific activities, assignments, suggestions...something i could do NOW? i just keep reading and hearing stories that parents discover their visual spatial learners in 4th grade or middle school, etc. i just want to appeal to him now. kwim?

i have a couple of books on my to order list about visual spatial learners..

i'm not sure how clear my question is, maybe someone can make sense of it.

thanks!

i have a just turned 6 year old who i feel like i'm not really reaching. we do explode the code which he does and is learning from. we do miquon (when i have enough time away from baby) and dreambox learning and he seems to be doing ok with that too. we are trying to listen to sotw on cd, but there doesn't seem to be much comprehension. we are trying visualize world geography and no interest in that. we tried to do a cave drawing and he drew a robot, after we talked about what was around back then and what wasn't. he had heard his brother say that robots weren't around and he remembered robot so he drew it! :001_huh:this boy of mine seems different to me. he seems very young for his age. does that make sense? he just seems emotionally and academically young. i don't think he has any learning or physical issues. i just know that what worked for my 9 year old is not going to work for this boy.

I'm mainly just bumping this for you, since I don't have any advice wrt visual/spatial learning. But looking at what you are doing successfully, and the age of your son, I wonder if you are just doing too much with him right now. Maybe instead of SOTW, use some picture books. Maybe he thought a robot would make a cooler drawing than an animal, or felt he could do that better.

Maybe he's just not ready for so much. At 6, my daughter hated sitting through SOTW (she was tagging along with her older brother who loved it).

I'm mainly just bumping this for you, since I don't have any advice wrt visual/spatial learning. But looking at what you are doing successfully, and the age of your son, I wonder if you are just doing too much with him right now. Maybe instead of SOTW, use some picture books. Maybe he thought a robot would make a cooler drawing than an animal, or felt he could do that better.

Maybe he's just not ready for so much. At 6, my daughter hated sitting through SOTW (she was tagging along with her older brother who loved it).

For visual spatial learners, I would use Veritas self paced video history courses. I wish they had those when my son was younger! My son doesn't do well listening to read alouds or cds - though I'm pushing him in the logic stage to listen while taking notes, in order to be prepared for college lecture formats.

http://resource2.veritaspress.com/Resources/Scholars_Online/Scholars_Online_New_Self-Paced.html

Edited by LNC

Just saw his age! I would wait and start history at 2nd grade with Veritas self paced... Everything else you are doing is fine - but you don't need geography yet - maybe a computer game but that can wait too.

My oldest was like yours. We found that Singapore Math and Miquon were good fits for him. Lots and lots of picture books. As often as possible I would show him a video of the current history topic or literature book BEFORE reading it. If that wasn't possible, I'd sometimes draw a (stick-figure :tongue_smilie:) picture of the characters or a scene and go through very small portions at a time. If he likes to draw robots or animals, have him "retell" the story through a robot drawing or lego guys or stuffed animals, etc. Sometimes that makes it easier to remember what you've heard.

Just keep at it as best you can. We can't always buy entirely new curriculum for an individual child (gets expensive!) but you can usually tweek what you have enough to make it work. If he is progressing in math and reading/phonics, I think you're covered for now. (Do make sure through the years that he is comprehending what he reads on his own.)

i'm not really pushing the geography or history. my plan was for him to tag along with his older brother..i thought that the pictograms in visual world geography would appeal to him, but it could be that he is just too young...i do have some picture books and fun activities planned out. we'll just continue along with that whenever he shows an interest..

i just want to try different things to reach him at a younger age. i seem to keep reading that a lot of parents feel like they failed their visual spatial learners or figured them out at an older age. i'm even afraid of putting this "label" on him and i've totally pegged him wrong! :001_huh:

what i meant to write was that i'm afraid of labeling him because what if i'm wrong. i've determined he's a vsl because of the many articles and assesments that i've done..he is a bit young and it is hard for me to explain how he thinks to me, but even so i've asked him to try to explain things to me. all indications seem to point to him being a vsl...

http://www.visualspatial.org/files/garden.pdf

this might be a helpful link that i came across..