Menu

pictures of my quote on the newly painted wall

I posted some photos into my Flickr account of the new paint job. Thanks for your all support and camraderie as I was deciding what to do with it. It's a little bit darker at night, but I had to borrow a camera until my charger gets back home where it belongs.

I love it!:thumbup: The green is beautiful, the tree is fantastic and the quote is perfect!

Great looking room!!!!

I would love to do some color like that but my husband is afraid....

I like the saying around the room.......:thumbup:

I don't think the camera picked up the color very well. I looked at the photos and thought of gross green things, but the color is actually really mellow and soothing here in person. Too bad ya'll can't come over for some tea and hang out. I had an Indie Peddler party the other night, and every one crowded into this little room even though I have a much larger living room. I guess if guests react that way, it's a good color.

Hmmmm......

Let's calculate the cost of having Rosie come to Tennessee and paint a big tree and some quotes on Kelli's new classroom walls.

Great job. Love the tree and the quote. Did you freehand the quote? I am scared to even stencil lettering on my walls, I am such a klutz. I think I am going to order the precut letters.

I picked up that snail fabric on clearance at JoAnn's. The longer it sat in my stash, the more I liked it. So I made the curtain, then bought paint to match.

I couldn't see that it was snails from the pic. Now I like it even more! Inspiration can come from so many things. Fabric is such a good choice to build a room around. Great job!

I would love to do some color like that but my husband is afraid....

Afraid for your resale value? Both of my neighbors have made me offers, wanting to tear down my house so they can have a yard. The population is going down here, and old houses are being torn down like crazy. My house really isn't built well enough to be around for another thirty years, so I figure we should have a little fun with her while she's still standing.

Hmmmm......

Let's calculate the cost of having Rosie come to Tennessee and paint a big tree and some quotes on Kelli's new classroom walls.

Great job. Love the tree and the quote. Did you freehand the quote? I am scared to even stencil lettering on my walls, I am such a klutz. I think I am going to order the precut letters.

Thank you. I did freehand the quote, and I'm not entirely happy with one letter where it's too light and shaky, but I'm not ready to face paint again for a week or two. So fixing it will wait. (There are also a couple of spots on the door frame I need to fix.)

As for a big tree, I used a really simple, intuitive method. I randomly made dots of the light green on the wall for leaves before I painted over it with the darker green, shaping the leaves. Then I stood back to visualize where the branches must go, to connect them. If this scares you, you can use a projector to position a clip art image on your wall, then trace it with your paint. My partner does that to paint professional-appearing images of local landmarks on canvas.

Your room is soo inspiring! Thanks for sharing! I want to do some quotes on my kitchen walls. We have arches in our kitchen and I think it would look quite lovely to do something, but know I couldn't freehand it. Please share how you did it!:)

I don't know, I just visualize it. I stand back from the wall, squint my eyes, put the paintbrush in my hand, and make a mental estimation of how large each word must be, while moving my hand across my view field like I'm actually painting it. Then I started in the corner, writing backwards going left. That way I ended up balanced. Also, I penciled some letters out on the darker wall so that I would know how much handwriting control I'd have reaching up in that way. I used a teeny, thin brush and made the strokes as quickly as possible until I had it all traced out like that, then went over it with a darker brush.

I do like words. They add soul to rooms.

I don't know, I just visualize it. I stand back from the wall, squint my eyes, put the paintbrush in my hand, and make a mental estimation of how large each word must be, while moving my hand across my view field like I'm actually painting it. Then I started in the corner, writing backwards going left. That way I ended up balanced. Also, I penciled some letters out on the darker wall so that I would know how much handwriting control I'd have reaching up in that way. I used a teeny, thin brush and made the strokes as quickly as possible until I had it all traced out like that, then went over it with a darker brush.

I do like words. They add soul to rooms.

Okay. I've decided you'll just have to come over here and do it for me. :) When's the next time you'll be in the midwest??:)

I am artsy in certain ways, but NOT like that! I'm so jealous you can do that! Yeah you!:)

Ah, white walls drive me nuts. I have a friend who uses fabric to liven up her rented walls.

My mother told me that you can starch fabric and then paste it onto the walls {like wallpaper}. It eludes me how it sticks to the wall right now. Maybe, soak it in a starch liquid and then put it up? She suggested this for us when we were renting. She said it would just peel off without damaging the walls. I never tried it, but it sounds like fun! :)

My mother told me that you can starch fabric and then paste it onto the walls {like wallpaper}. It eludes me how it sticks to the wall right now. Maybe, soak it in a starch liquid and then put it up? She suggested this for us when we were renting. She said it would just peel off without damaging the walls. I never tried it, but it sounds like fun! :)

Yes, this works. Soak it in starch and while it is still wet stick it to the wall. You can use a wallpaper brush to smooth it out. It will dry in place and peel off when you want to take it down. It is easier in to do in small pieces though because the weight of the fabric. It would not work in a bathroom or other high humidity environment.