Menu

Gifts a Preschooler can Make?

I did felted wool stuff with my child one year. A preschooler can felt a cookie-cutter shaped bit of wool in a soapy waterpot. The 12yo could embroider the recipient's name on it afterwards. It could be an ornament, or as I did, a fridge magnet (with some of those stick-on magnets).

Little ones can also decorate beeswax candles. My kids did with that decorators wax - it's very thin, colored sheets.

I'm pretty sure pinterest would be the perfect place for you to get inspired ideas. probably preschool christmas craft (or something similar) as a topic.

GL - lots of fun stuff!

My dd was 3 yo when she made some adorable decorated paper mache boxes and a rabbit. These are the brown shapes and boxes from Michael's, and they are inexpensive. She picked out a rabbit and a few boxes.

I gave her some pretty floral napkins that we pulled apart. These had two layers, one white and one with the print. Just use the print part. Then she tore them into pieces - super easy. She used a large sponge brush and a cup of Mod Podge. Paint the Mod Podge on the paper mache shape (rabbit or box), then put on a piece of the torn napkin, then paint more Mod Podge on top. Overlap the pieces of napkin, and it doesn't matter if it wrinkles a bit because of the pattern. Continue until the object is fully covered and let it dry. That's it! The Mod Podge dries clear with a bit of a sheen, and my dd did it all by herself.

We tied a ribbon bow around the rabbits neck with some dried flowers I had, but the boxes were enough by themselves. They turned out really cute, and my dd was proud that she did it all by herself.

Little ones can also decorate beeswax candles. My kids did with that decorators wax - it's very thin, colored sheets.

Yes! In fact, the candles being decorated need not be beeswax at all. My daughter started decorating candles at about age three. At that age, I cut out shapes for her to affix to the candles. She has continued candle decorating over the years and now (college age) makes wonderful designs of her own creation. Here is a link to the candle decorating wax that we use:

Stockmar Decorating Wax

Regards,

Kareni

I'm going to have ds3.5 make bookmarks and I will laminate them with contact paper.

I'm having ds5.5 make bookmarks with those plastic grid things that you "embroider" with yarn. I thought I'd let ds3 try it, too. (I just won't expect it to be all filled in.) Ds5.5 really likes lacing cards, so I think he will enjoy making them.

One year we made painted tote bags. I think I got the idea from Family Fun magazine. You start with plain undecorated tote bags (available from Michael's, Joann, etc). You get the fabric paint colors that you like. For each bag, you need to put a big border of masking tape around a rectangle in the middle of the side of the bag. Then they paint. You peel off the tape when the paint is dry. That way you have a neat painted rectangle shape--looks almost professional! Or you could not bother with the tape/rectangle and just let them paint the bag. My in-laws still use theirs.