Menu

Favorite ways to eat cabbage (with recipes please!)?

I add it to the sesame noodle recipe from Pioneer Woman. Just saute til brown and toss in with the noodles.

I also make a bierrock casserole (because I"m too lazy to make bierrocks). Brown ground beef and cabbage together. Spread in 13x9 pan and cover with cheddar cheese then a roll of crescent rolls. Bake until crescent rolls are done on top. I love this. Super love it.

I love it added to stew. Sounds wierd but it's delicious.

Here's another recipe I used to make when all my kiddoes were home.

Tarragon Hotdish ( one pot meal)

Brown 1 # hamburger with some onion

Add 2 cups water and 2 beef bouillon cube (I would use beef stock in the box these days..don't like bouillon)

1 cup rice

2 tsp tarragon

cook til the rice is done

Add 3 cups shredded cabbage

1 cup sour cream

1 cup monteray jack cheese

Cook a few more minutes til thecabbage is wilted and the cheese is melted.

I know you said "not coleslaw," but if that's because you don't like the vinegary coleslaw, here's what I do: I chop the cabbage up, add some shredded carrot and maybe a little bit of chopped kale, and then dress it with just mayonnaise and garlic salt (not too much salt). Yummy and simple.

I also use it chopped, mixed with a little lime juice, as a topping on fish tacos.

Edited by milovaný

this is my kids' favorite dish and it's a breeze to make:

chop the cabbage cole slaw style with a knife. I use a small red and green cabbage. Stir fry with some butter. Add sliced chicken sausage - any kind you like. I cook it 20-30 minutes - so the cabbage is sweet and tender.

Ingredients

• 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • FILLING:
  • 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • 4 cups chopped cabbage
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• Place 1-3/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Heat the milk, water and shortening to 120°-130°. Pour over flour mixture; add the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low until blended. Beat 3 additional minutes on high. Stir in the remaining flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
  • Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  • Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the cabbage, salt and pepper; cook until cabbage is wilted.
  • Punch dough down; roll into twelve 6-in. squares. Top each square with 1/3 cup meat mixture. Fold into triangles. Pinch edges tightly to seal and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot. Yield: 12 servings.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 each) equals 368 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 443 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.

Crock Pot Swedish Cabbage Rolls

1 head cabbage (green)

1 egg (beaten)

1/4 cup tomato sauce

1/4 cup Onion (finely chopped)

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 pound lean ground beef (not cooked)

1 cup Rice (cooked - great for leftovers)

1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

Instructions

Immerse head of cabbage (cut off tough bottom first) in large kettle of boiling water for about 3 minutes or until limp; drain.

Combine egg, 1/4 cup of sauce, onion, salt, pepper, beef, and cooked rice.

Peel off a cabbage leaf in one piece and place about 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of each leaf; fold in sides and roll ends over meat.

Place in slow-cooking pot.

Combine tomato sauce with brown sugar, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce.

Pour over cabbage rolls.

Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours.