Menu

BlendTec vs Vitamix

cin

Love my Blendtec. I can grind small amounts of grains with it, make awesome smoothies, and make icecream.

I really think the Blendtec and Vitamix are relatively equal in capability....kind of like the Toyota/Honda or Nikon/Canon debate.

That's what I'm thinking. the appealing thing to me is that I can do grains in the Blendtec without a second container. Maybe I could in the Vitamix, but they are saying no, and that extra container adds quite a bit to the cost. I can do it ALL with the Blendtec, with no extra container. (Maybe buy the bigger one IF I use it as planned!)

More input appreciated!

I went with the vitamix. I agree they are pretty similar. I bought a refurbished vitamix for 320. The woman I spoke to said they refurbished were generally the machines used in photo shoots and the container is always brand new. I love mine and use it every day for smoothies. It heats to make soup. The recipe book is excellent.

You'll probably be happy with either. We went with a Vitamix. I've done a few small batches of grain in my regular container because I don't need it enough to have a second carafe. I love mine, about to go make a smoothie (super smooth). I realized that I really liked the tamper part and when I first got it, I used it all the time. Now I'm just lazy and wait for the machine to get around to everything (which is only a couple more seconds, actually) and have gotten to the point where I prefer wetter smoothies versus needing a fat straw or sometimes a spoon to get it down. :)

We have a vitamix and it's worked great for the past three years. My FIL decided to go with a blendtec and the motor went out after a couple months of average use. They company wanted some crazy amount for shipping and to look at it. It was their decision as to if it was a warranty repair or not. He wasn't comfortable prepaying for work when they could very easily claim it was not covered by the warranty. Now he has a vitamix and uses it all the time.

I've used both and while the blendtec does seem more powerful when you're using it I don't think it really makes a difference unless you're using it in a commercial kitchen or something like that where getting it done five sends earlier makes a difference. I really, really like the smoosher stick thing the vitamix comes with. With the blendtec I couldn't do a small amount of anything because of the wide base of the container and very thick things were impossible without stopping it a dozen times. The blendtec was also uncomfortably loud. We like blender ice cream and it's quick and easy with the vitamix, it was too much of a pain with the blendtec.

We have the dry container and it's not all it's cracked up to be. I've done grain grinding with it and it takes forever, the grain doesn't come out all that smooth, and you can only have it on for a minute before you have to stop to let both the motor and the grain cool down before the motor gets damaged and the grain gets scorched. It would take an hour - at least - to grind enough wheat to make a loaf of bread. It is nice for grinding pepper from peppercorns and other spices so I keep the container around for that. You can grind grain without a problem in the regular container but it can dull the blades so it's not recommended. The blades are very expensive to replace, we've never had to. For occasional small batch (a cup or less) grinding the regular container should work fine.

You can make hot soup in it but I've only done it once because it's loud and it takes a solid 5-7 minutes to get hot enough. It doesn't have a heater or anything, it's just the friction of the ingredients generating heat when the blender is on at high speed.

I purchased mine at a demonstration but I've seen good deals on a package on either qvc or hsn.

I was going to get a Vitamix because my sister is so happy with hers. Our Costco only had the Blendtec, so I watched a number of comparison videos. People seemed just as happy with either one. Costco sells the Blendtec with the Wildside jar. I've been very happy with it. I use it at least once a day, sometimes several times a day. It is a breeze to clean up. I love that it fits under my counter with the jar in place.

My only complaint is that when I take the lid off, it drips liquid onto the counter. I'm not sure why it was designed like that. I haven't needed to grind grains because I have a grain mill.

I have a Blendtec but have read the Vitamix is a smidge better. Here is a great comparison of the two by one of my favorite food bloggers: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/08/12/blendtec-giveaway/

ETA: Starbucks recently changed from Blendtec blenders to Vitamix ones. http://blog.basequipment.com/2012/07/16/what-kind-of-blender-does-starbucks-use/

Edited by teeniebeenie6

It is funny that this thread started. My birthday is coming up and I just told dh yesterday that all I really want is a Blentek or Vitamix. I have wanted one for years and years. The want isn't going away, lol.

Now, it is going to take a few years of birthdays to get one. We can't just buy one, but someday, someday, it will be mine.

It took a few years, but eventually I got my zoji bread machine. I hope it takes less time to get the blender.

I've had a blendtec for a little over 4 years. I wish I had gone with a Vitamix. A couple of weeks after we bought our blendtec we were making an avocado smoothie and something happened with the bearing in the jar part. The machine started shaking and jumping and it stopped blending. When I googled the problem it seemed to be rather common. I was only about 15 minutes away from their headquarters and brought the jar in and was able to exchange it. However, I think the warranty is only a year or two for the top part, and two or three for the motor. I can't remember off the top of my head. When I purchased my Blendtec, the Vitamix had a seven year warranty for both parts. I haven't had to replace the jar again, but there are a couple cracks in the bottom of my jar and my machine does get jumpy at times. I also think the stirrer thing would come in handy.

I use mine frequently for smoothies and about three times a week to grind wheat for bread. I go through two cycles to grind the wheat so it is not so coarse.

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I've pretty much settled on the Blendtec. Hoping to get it for Christmas. ;)

A PP wondered what I meant by multiple containers. the Vitamix has a dry blade and a wet blade. Of course, to get the dry blade/container, it costs an extra $100 or so. I don't know if you actually need the dry blade to do grains, but with the blendtec, it appears you don't.