Menu

Should I take her to the doctor?

Yesterday, my 4 year old was in her Cozy Coupe when it tipped over. She's done this before, but this time she landed on her hand somehow. She cried a lot more than she usually cries and continued to be sad about it for about an hour. This is my kid that whines for like 30 seconds when she scrapes her knees, so I was taking it pretty seriously. After about an hour or two, she calmed down and was fine the rest of the night except for a few times when she put her weight on her hand. We're pretty sure it is her wrist that hurts. Oh, and she's not verbal enough to tell us much except, "Arm hurts. You want a bandaid."

There's no swelling or anything, but if we squeeze her wrist, it hurts her a lot. She is mostly playing with it, but every now and then she'll use it just right and start crying again.

So main points:

No swelling

No bruising

Hurts when she puts her weight on it

Hurts when squeezed by us.

Can move her hand and fingers and is using it

She has a crazy high threshold for pain and she is in pain with this more than anything I've seen before.

Should I bring her to the ER? We don't have access to an urgent care facility, and I'd have to wait until Monday for her doctor.

Edited by Meagan S

Yesterday, my 4 year old was in her Cozy Coupe when it tipped over. She's done this before, but this time she landed on her hand somehow. She cried a lot more than she usually cries and continued to be sad about it for about an hour. This is my kid that whines for like 30 seconds when she scrapes her knees, so I was taking it pretty seriously. After about an hour or two, she calmed down and was fine the rest of the night except for a few times when she put her weight on her hand. We're pretty sure it is her wrist that hurts. Oh, and she's not verbal enough to tell us much except, "arm hurts."

There's no swelling or anything, but if we squeeze her wrist, it hurts her a lot. She is mostly playing with it, but every now and then she'll use it just right and start crying again.

So main points:

No swelling

No bruising

Hurts when she puts her weight on it

Hurts when squeezed by us.

Can move her hand and fingers and is using it

She has a crazy high threshold for pain and she is in pain with this more than anything I've seen before.

Should I bring her to the ER? We don't have access to an urgent care facility, and I'd have to wait until Monday for her doctor.

Do you have the option of calling her doctor? If it were my son, I would call my his ped's cell phone. I would probably take him to the ER if I didn't have that option, and I'm really not the type of mom to rush to the ER or even the doctor's office.

Someone I know once fell and hurt her back. She has a high tolerance for pain and it took her 3 days of having a sore back, in bed/walking on hands and knees before she finally went to the ER. Turns out she had broken her back.

My niece, when very young, dislocated her elbow due to a fall where she landed on her wrist. Her parents kept focusing on her wrist because that was the most obvious point of injury, but it was the elbow that ended up injured. It was a quick fix in the ER.

I would consider taking her in - maybe to an urgent care - esp. if she is still complaining of pain.

DS fell and broke his hand when he was four. It took us three days to figure it out (when it started bruising) and that was with a kid with a very LOW threshold for pain! You will need an xray to confirm so you might as well start somewhere with an xray machine. BUT they probably will just sling it and have you wait for MOnday to see an orthopedic doctor anyhow, even if it's broken. Hopefully it's a sprain...then again that can be more painful and take longer to heal.

In our experience fractures do not usually show up on xrays of young children. If you go to the ER insist that they splint her wrist to alleviate some of the pain. Be specific that you want it splinted otherwise you might end up with it lightly wrapped which does nothing to help, that happened to us the second time ds fractured his arm. :glare: Either ask for a referral to a pediatric orthopedist or follow up with your pediatrician on Monday.