Menu

Harry Potter and The Language of Flowers

A FB friend posted an image that I couldn't let go unresearched. Fortunately, I had my trusty copy of Kate Greenaway's Language of Flowers.

You know how Snape asks Harry three questions during his first potions class in the Sorcerer's Stone? He asks him what he would get if he mixed powdered root of asphodel with wormwood, what a bezoar is, and the difference between wolfsbane and monkshood (which he later says are from the same plant, aconite).

According to Language of Flowers:

1. Asphodel is a type of lily and symbolizes "my regrets follow you to the grave."

2. Wormwood symbolizes absence.

3. Aconite symbolizes misanthropy, the general hatred, mistrust or disdain of the human species or human nature.

Now I feel compelled to reread the entire series with various encyclopedia in hand...

Wow. That's really cool.

I remember when the HP series came out & my fil read it. He knows Latin & ancient Greek (among other languages) & he really enjoyed the series because of Rowling's naming conventions & such based off of those ancient languages.

I would love it if she would publish a compendium.

Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The latter is how we know that Crookshanks is half-kneazle and not a normal cat.

A small catlike creature with flecked, speckled, or spotted fur, outsize ears, and a tail like a lion's, the Kneazle is intelligent, independent, and occasionally aggressive, though if it takes a liking to a witch or wizard, it makes an excellent pet. The Kneazle has an uncanny ability to detect unsavoury or suspicious characters and can be relied upon to guide its owner safely home if they are lost. Kneazles have up to eight kittens in a litter and can interbreed with cats.
Rowling confirmed it when someone quoted that passage to her in a Q&A.

What exactly is Pottermore? I've seen it mentioned here and there, but I'm scared to click on it and succumb to another time-suck.

Major time sucker but learning so many new things about Potter world. Pottermore.com. We have a list somewhere that lists all of the users from here and their Pottermore names. Hopefully, someone else can provide more info.

A FB friend posted an image that I couldn't let go unresearched. Fortunately, I had my trusty copy of Kate Greenaway's Language of Flowers.

You know how Snape asks Harry three questions during his first potions class in the Sorcerer's Stone? He asks him what he would get if he mixed powdered root of asphodel with wormwood, what a bezoar is, and the difference between wolfsbane and monkshood (which he later says are from the same plant, aconite).

According to Language of Flowers:

1. Asphodel is a type of lily and symbolizes "my regrets follow you to the grave."

2. Wormwood symbolizes absence.

3. Aconite symbolizes misanthropy, the general hatred, mistrust or disdain of the human species or human nature.

Now I feel compelled to reread the entire series with various encyclopedia in hand...

Does anyone know how I could post this on Pinterest?