Menu

Dandruff

DawnM

My 14 year old has terrible dandruff. He has been using head and shoulders and if he washes every morning, it seems to be just ok. I can still see a lot of flakes.

He has Asperger's so just know that it has to be an EASY solution. Some homemade put this on and leave it and then do this afterwards will NOT be done! ONE step (or lather, rinse, repeat) please!

And (I think because of his Asperger's) he really doesn't CARE that he has it. He can't see it so what is the big deal! :glare::glare::glare:

He also has long hair, to his shoulders, if that makes a difference.

Dawn

Yep, you may want to try various active ingredients. Some have salicylic acid, some have something else that I can remember. Nizoral has an antifungal, if it's a yeast thing...

If he has scent issues, I would encourage sniffing everything before you buy. T-gel (and other coal tar preparations) have a distinctive smell.

Both of my boys and DH have dandruff to some extent. We've found that what works for one won't necessarily work for another. The active ingredient varies a little between brands, so you may have to experiment to find which one works best. T-Gel usually does the trick for DH and DS2. DS1 has to rotate each day between T-Gel and Head & Shoulders to keep his dandruff under control. I forget which Head & Shoulders he uses, but the active ingredient in it is different than what's in T-Gel. He also occasionally uses Denorex.

Try the intensive strength head and shoulders in the dark blue bottle. It works a million times better than the regular stuff, and my dh has tried every kind of dandruff remedy there is including many prescription ones. His dandruff has been reduced immensely using the intensive strength head and shoulders.

My son has this occasionally. I'm not sure it's 'real' dandruff, but every now and then we see flakes. I also KNOW the reason. His hair is thick and he can't be bothered to always get it all the way wet and always rinse out all of the shampoo. He also doesn't care that much, so every now and then I insist upon lathering his head myself and really scrubbing. THIS is when we see flakes because I've disturbed the bottom layer of muck. He doesn't care for the interference and usually diligent for a good 4-6 weeks until we repeat the process. Usually because I put my nose near his head during school and he didn't smell like shampoo despite showering that morning. :glare:

My son is 12, but because of his physical disability, he's comfortable with a level of personal care that most tween boys wouldn't tolerate. I guess you could try the sink. If your boy has super thick hair you could be dealing with a similar situation.

He may have psoriasis on his scalp (which my dh has) and need a stronger shampoo such as Nuetragena T-Gel shampoo. It is expensive but it works.

:iagree:I second this recommendation. My ds uses the T-Gel twice a week and Head & Shoulders the rest of the time. You can purchase generic T-Gel at various places, so that helps a little with the cost. It does smell awful, though. I don't think there's any getting around that.

I really agree with some of you that he doesn't wash and rinse as well as he should.

I again reminded him yesterday before his shower that he needed to really rub his scalp with his fingertips to get the shampoo to his scalp.

Today his hair looks much better! So, that may indeed be part of the issue.

Although I would like a better shampoo for him as well.

He loves his long hair. I AM going to shave it all off next summer, which will be a drastic change. He is going to Philmont for a week long wilderness trip and I told him with his greesy hair and dandruff he HAS to get a shave.

We used to just let it grow all year and then shave right before camp. But since DH goes to camp with them I told oldest he could keep his long hair this past summer IF he agreed to shower and wash it every other day. DH held him to it and he did do that, but Philmont will not have showers!

Thank you! I will take a look at Target today and see what they have.

Dawn

My dd has had great success w/ Shikai tea tree shampoo. I think you can order it from Vitacost or local places like Whole Foods tend to carry it.

It does have somewhat of a minty smell, if that is something your ds would/wouldn't like.... My dd doesn't really like strong minty smells & disliked a different tea tree shampoo we tried, but she loves this one. It has also completely eliminated her dandruff.

:iagree:I second this recommendation. My ds uses the T-Gel twice a week and Head & Shoulders the rest of the time. You can purchase generic T-Gel at various places, so that helps a little with the cost. It does smell awful, though. I don't think there's any getting around that.

We tried everything mentioned so far on this thread and the T-Gel was the only thing that worked.