Menu

Odd list of baby stats around here...

Recently there have been 4 babies born to people we know. When being told the baby stats i'm usually expecting weight/length, time, name, and how they're doing.

What do i get? Name, weight, number of stitches! I swear we have crazy mommy wars here and every single thing is a competition, even who had more stitches. I know when mine were born i wasn't thinking of the number of stitches down below! Lol.

What info do you get/pass on new babies?

I only give the normal stats for sure. Ive had two csections though and I know all about the competition. I always get "Oh be thankful you had a csection! I was ready to give myself one." Like my recovery wasn't painful?:001_huh:

And my personal favorite came from my best friend.. "You didn't even labor. The doctor just cut them out."

Well I labored 24 hours with my first and only 6 with my second before a cestion was ordered.

Why do women feel the need to put others down when this is the HAPPIEST time of our lives? I had the bigger baby, my delivery was more painful.. or in your case, I had more stitches.

Just ridiculous.:confused:

Name and weight normally. Maybe length of labor/number of pushes? Definitely not number of stitches. That's a little too personal for most conversations IMO.

At first i thought it was the person passing along info. She gave me the update for babies 1 and 2 recently. But then 2 different people updated me for babies 3 and 4. Then... I had to drive home baby 2 with mom. I congratulated her and got the same stats! Lol.

No one knows the lengths of the baby, but all know stitch count. Mine were both 19 inches ling at birth, but i have no clue how many stitches i had. I was a little too busy cuddling new baby.

Recently there have been 4 babies born to people we know. When being told the baby stats i'm usually expecting weight/length, time, name, and how they're doing.

What do i get? Name, weight, number of stitches! I swear we have crazy mommy wars here and every single thing is a competition, even who had more stitches. I know when mine were born i wasn't thinking of the number of stitches down below! Lol.

What info do you get/pass on new babies?

wow...that is a bit TMI, lol. I had stitches, but no idea how many. I wasn't counting.

I only give the normal stats for sure. Ive had two csections though and I know all about the competition. I always get "Oh be thankful you had a csection! I was ready to give myself one." Like my recovery wasn't painful?:001_huh:

And my personal favorite came from my best friend.. "You didn't even labor. The doctor just cut them out."

Well I labored 24 hours with my first and only 6 with my second before a cestion was ordered.

Why do women feel the need to put others down when this is the HAPPIEST time of our lives? I had the bigger baby, my delivery was more painful.. or in your case, I had more stitches.

Just ridiculous.:confused:

Adoption=No Labor :lol: Try flying 18 hours with a 12 mo old who Would. Not. Sleep. I just didn't have stitches. At All.

So far no morning sickness, but the paper cuts are terrible.

Adoption=No Labor :lol: Try flying 18 hours with a 12 mo old who Would. Not. Sleep. I just didn't have stitches. At All.

So far no morning sickness, but the paper cuts are terrible.

DH once flew from hong kong with a plane full of adopted babies. He was never happier to be flying business class. Apparently the pilot was begging for patience from those poor souls in coach with all the babies. Rough trip all around.

I hate being told how long someone pushed. Yes, I've been told in emailed birth announcements from the dad something like, "Only three pushes and he was out!" Too much info!

I also hate someone who is not the new mother (usually it's a man) telling me it was not a hard labor because it was short. Um, a lot of people would pick long and gentle over fast and rough. People have been saying this a lot in my family and it bugs me. People also conclude the length of time in hospital before the birth is how long the labor was. NO!

If anyone asked me about stitches, I would give them a reason to get a few of their own. Yuck. Oh, one more thing I dislike - asking a woman who JUST had a baby if she wants another or if she's done.

I like to know about the baby's hair and if it looks like anyone else in the family.

A lady in the waiting area outside the airplane asked me for advice once. She was bringing home her adopted kid. It was really funny because she did stuff like put the 9mo old on the ground while she dug in her purse for her passport.

No I don't normally mention my stitches. However it did come up a few times with my 3rd child because my first 2 were c-section and my 3rd was not. Since it was well known both of my first 2 were c-sections, many people assumed my 3rd was a well. And they would ask how I was recovering from surgery. I would tell them I didn't have a c-section and would inevitably lead to some comment about how I must be feeling so much better than I had the last two times. UM, no I fell worse. The repeat c-section was a piece of cake and I was up and around in a week. My first VBA2C, I did have those "40+" stitches and it was 4 months before I could sit on a chair without a pillow on it. So while I have never brought up the stitches I had for #4 and #5, it did come up for #3 because that recovery was even worse than either c-section.

I have a few close friends (or my mom) where I would discuss those details. But it's certainly not something I'd announce to the world at large!! I don't even know how many stitches I had... as others said, it wasn't really anything I thought to ask. Weird.

And Stripe, I am with you on the issue of short labor =/= easy labor. Mine was short for a first child but from the time it started, the contractions were fast and furious.

DH once flew from hong kong with a plane full of adopted babies. He was never happier to be flying business class. Apparently the pilot was begging for patience from those poor souls in coach with all the babies. Rough trip all around.

They need to sell benadryl/Dramamine on those flights. For the babies. And THEN for the parents.;)