Menu

I need recommendations for an OG based phonics curriculum

... preferably that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (if that is possible). We are still at a stand still. I told myself I would give our curricula a year and if there was progress I would stick to it but ds2nd is still where he was (he advanced 4 pages in a year-- not a single new concept though)

He was doing well with CVCC or CCVC words for a while but now is struggling with CVC words again. Time for a change. Ds 1st will stick with what we are doing. Its working fine for him!

one l michele- I see you use I See Sam books. What (if anything) makes those different than other phonics readers? I am downloading the s/s now but I don't see samples anywhere. We have Nora Gaydos set 1. He did ok with those but we have put them away as he was getting bored with them so we got some other ones out (I have a BUNCH of level 1 phonics readers :001_huh:) But I think we will pull those out again next week and try again. We have been doing more with foam letters and he does ok for VERY short periods. His attention is completely gone all the sudden too so I know this is part of the reason. I am about to put all phonics away for a while and get the letter people videos out again (we have the originals from the 70's! ;)) But- I fear a major regression in a very short time if we do that. So we will add them in to the mix again.

I think Abecedarian is worth looking at. www.abcdrp.com They have just re-packaged the first couple of levels into one book that costs $30. (I am on the yahoo list, lol.)

I used I See Sam with my son, he got through the first 3 sets (BRI 1- 3). It was difficult for him, but I think they are good. They go slower than anything else I saw -- however I had not heard of the Nora Gaydos at that time.

I think he needed more instruction than just reading through the readers with a notched card. However -- that is good, too. But he needed word-building stuff with letter tiles. That is the kind of thing where you have sat, and ask them to make it into the word cat. Also, the thing from AAS 1 where they have the letter tiles, and drag each letter down as they say the sound, then blend the word ----- that was good for him. I started Abecedarian Level B with him after BRI book 3 (of I See Sam) and I think he might have done well with doing Level A at the same time as I See Sam.

If Level 1 phonics readers are too hard (they were too hard for my son) then what is good about I See Sam is that not too many new letters are introduced at one time. They bring them in fairly slowly. They are also pretty good about not having a lot of irregular words. There are very few. My son struggled for months with the word "want" but in that time he was making progress with sounding out other words. A lot of series seem like they have a lot of words like "want." Very confusing for my son at the time.

Edited by Lecka

I think Abecedarian is worth looking at. www.abcdrp.com They have just re-packaged the first couple of levels into one book that costs $30. (I am on the yahoo list, lol.)

I used I See Sam with my son, he got through the first 3 sets (BRI 1- 3). It was difficult for him, but I think they are good. They go slower than anything else I saw -- however I had not heard of the Nora Gaydos at that time.

I think he needed more instruction than just reading through the readers with a notched card. However -- that is good, too. But he needed word-building stuff with letter tiles. That is the kind of thing where you have sat, and ask them to make it into the word cat. Also, the thing from AAS 1 where they have the letter tiles, and drag each letter down as they say the sound, then blend the word ----- that was good for him. I started Abecedarian Level B with him after BRI book 3 (of I See Sam) and I think he might have done well with doing Level A at the same time as I See Sam.

If Level 1 phonics readers are too hard (they were too hard for my son) then what is good about I See Sam is that not too many new letters are introduced at one time. They bring them in fairly slowly. They are also pretty good about not having a lot of irregular words. There are very few. My son struggled for months with the word "want" but in that time he was making progress with sounding out other words. A lot of series seem like they have a lot of words like "want." Very confusing for my son at the time.

Abecedarian is not O-G based. It is a Phono-Graphix (P-G) based program. Nothing wrong with it, but it isn't O-G based. Reading Reflux is also P-G based and is really good. The book only cost about $20. http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Reflex-Foolproof-Phono-Graphix-Teaching/dp/0684853671

What about Barton? You will have an initial investment but can recoup your money by selling it and then buying the next level.

Edited by simplyme99
spelling

Recipe for Reading is O-G $25

Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties $15 tops used (great to help with auditory and visual perceptual skills)

Apples and Pears for spelling

I See Sam for reading fluency

REWARDS about $100 once you are done with some of the above.

I also used ABCedarian. We did Book A in K and 1st took a break because B was going too fast. Just finished B last year. It was a breeze for her after using Recipe for Reading. My dtr is going to be 11. She needed alot of repetition because of her low working memory. I had to go low cost with reading material because my dtr needed VT and LiPs ($400).

Spend a lot of time drilling vowel sounds and vowel teams. They should know the sound (short sound) and its name (long sound). Vowel discrimination is hard work for my dtr!

I started with I See Sam. In this blog post I linked a free printable source for them. This got my struggler going.

Then I did a Recipe for Reading 0-G based approach in free lessons I found online. I linked the source in my blog. In fact I created the blog at the time just to share it here. I combined it with free Progressive Phonics, which I linked in the same post as I See Sam, so we were using the phonogram we studied to practice reading. This meant I did adjust the phonogram introduction order some. In actuality I focused on reading first and then we went back to do the spelling portion so the switching around didn't matter. If you follow the program exactly as written that combo may not be possible.

Anyway, the cost of the 0-G program was a needle point/cross stitch mat from walmart for me. I did salt in a pie pan for the other and made my own phonogram cards, using a free link I added to my blog too under language arts, so no costs/materials needed beyond that mat. My cost was less than $1 and I really think we got a terrific phonics education.

Edited by sbgrace