Menu

what is the funnest dinner party you've been to - without alcohol

I thought you said, "Funniest." It reminded me of a dinner we had for a small group from church some years ago. It was the middle of winter, 20 below, and we had a beach party. One couple didn't believe us and were pulling at their wool sweaters all night since we turned the heat way up to accommodate The Skipper and MaryAnne, swimmers and beach dresses. :D

You know, my "funnest" parties have just been people talking with each other in random order. :-) If it's a sit-down dinner (as opposed to a buffet/potluck, where people mill around and plop down wherever), I don't seat couples together. That is amazingly helpful in keeping conversations going. :-)

The best parties are the ones with the most interesting conversations. So, I invite frineds who like to converse about a variety of topics and who enjoy talking to other people.

The absolutely worst party we ever had was with a bunch of extreme introverts who would not talk, but only give one word answers to any question I asked in desperation to get a conversation going (and believe me, I am usually very good at this). It was physically painful. You need a certain portion of people who actually enjoy parties (they can absorb a few less enthusiastic guests)

Other than that: good food, casual atmosphere (nothing kills the mood more than a tense and fussy hostess). Alcohol or not has absolutely no relation to the quality of a party; we usually drink wine, but our friends who don't are as much fun as our frineds who do.

Themes. Themes are fun. We had a Halloween party last year. Costumes. Halloween themed food (floating "hand" in the punch bowl, Mummy wrapped hot dogs, kitty litter cake, etc.) We turned our basement into a Haunted House. It was FUN!

But a tropical, movie, literary, mystery/suspense, whatever you can think of type theme would be just as fun.

Having the matching music, food, and a built in conversation starter (decorations/costumes or memories of whatever...such as a beach vacation, watching certain movie, etc.)

But my funnest dinner parties have resulted from the right mix of people and their natural interactions. Once I set up for a fancy dinner party in my dining room and then the weather was so beautiful that DH and I decided to lift and carry the entire table and all the chairs, china, silver Etc outside to the back patio. That ended up being a really nice night.

Another time I Planned a party and a few days before, we had a 17 inch snow - unheard of here. Everyone still made it and spirits were high. I moved the table to the great room and we ate in front of the fire, looking out at the snowy backyard which was all lit with lights.

In these cases there were no special activities planned, but the right people and right settng made it magical.

Other than that: good food, casual atmosphere (nothing kills the mood more than a tense and fussy hostess). Alcohol or not has absolutely no relation to the quality of a party; we usually drink wine, but our friends who don't are as much fun as our frineds who do.

:iagree:We aren't talking about getting drunk, so a drink or two really doesn't change anything as far as what happens at the party. Inviting people with varied interests, having good food, etc all help. Interactive games, especially early on, can help break the ice if most people don't know each other. Be sure to give people some time "without structure" as they'll want to just socialize at some point.