Menu

HELP: palpitations for a week

I have palpitations for 7 days . Every day, all day.They come and go but sometimes they last over 5 min. Then they stop and come back again in a few minutes.They appear more often when moving around,but they also come when I lay down or sit. When they come, I feel weak,can't breath well and cough. I went to the cardiologist yesterday and he said EKG is normal. The blood pressure is a little low,but I always have that. I am not overweight, have normal cholesterol and no known heart disease. I don't seem to have any anxiety or stress (no more than usual) and I never had palpitations before. Iron is good,just checked it a few days ago.

I had a miscarriage in June. I was reading that I can have an overreactive thyroid after that...today I had a blood test,but I can't wait until monday for results. It's annoying, heart beat is 130/ min when I have palpitations. I stopped drinking coffee, increased liquids and electrolytes...nothing helps!

Any nurses here or someone who has been through this? I am thinking to go to the ER , but our insurance plan has changed and the bill might be about $1000.

Edited by blessedmom3

I've had palpitations a lot. What I was told by my cardiologist after a clean EKG and echocardiogram was that palpitations can be hormonal. He just told me not to worry about it. I would not go to the ER about it unless there were other symptoms, esp. since you have seen a doctor about it. I would try an epsom salt bath (magnesium).

You may need to wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours to really catch the palpitations. EKGs are pretty useless for that unless you happen to have one when you're hooked up to it. No one ever does. LOL

Your GP can do that for you in his office. It's a little uncomfortable...just because of the wires, and some of my patients complain about the tape itching, but other than that, it's easy-peasy and will give your doctor a very accurate picture of the kind of palpitations you're having (they're not all created equal) and how often they're occurring.

I'm not a nurse, but I have had heart palpitations before and know how scary they can feel. I'm glad your EKG came out normal, and it is possible that hormones can be the cause of your palpitations. But if you feel bad enough that you are considering going to the ER, I would go. Or at least see if there is an urgent care in your area.

Mine are mostly triggered by anxiety, and the palpitations/fast heartbeat only makes the anxiety worse. Vicious circle anyone? When it happens I try taking very slow, deep breaths and focus on relaxing the muscles in my body. People have a tendency to contract their muscles and start breathing shallow when feeling stressed/scared, which only makes the problem worse. I also try to distract myself; talking to DH, watching a really funny show, calling a friend, etc.

I hope you feel better soon.

Well - waiting all weekend certainly isn't going to help your heart from palpitating! :tongue_smilie: I'm sorry you're worried. I have BTDT. In fact, when I went to the ERa few years ago, I had a heart rate of 155/min - even while I was sleeping.

Go to a health food store and get Nature's Calm - it's a quick way to get some magnesium in your body. I think my fave is called lemon raspberry. I'm drinking mine now. ;)

I find that it happens much more frequently before I get my period. I am in my early forties and this started about 5 years ago. I just know how to relax now and not let a vicious cycle of anxiety start. It's such a clear cycle, that I can now chalk it up to pre-menopause.

First, I recognize my heart and say, "Hi heart." It sounds silly, but a friend suggested it. It's just a way to be grateful that I am alive and that my heart is working - not failing. Next, I put my hand on my belly and slowly breathe. I watch my hand rise and fall slowly. I believe some people listen to a metronome - I'm sure you can find that online. I also watch youtube videos of new age music and nature sounds - especially the ones that show video of waterfalls etc. :D

:grouphug: to you. I know you are worried. Please keep us updated.

When I finally went to see my cardiologist I had a normal EKG, stress test and ultrasound. It was not until I wore the 24hr holter that he confirmed my atrial fibrillation. I would call your cardiologist and explain that your palpitations are constant and causing you anxiety. He may suggest that you go to the ER for a cardioversion to get them under control.

I am sorry. That really is an uncomfortable feeling!

Kim

I always sleep good and I took calcium,magnesium,vit. C, valerian and lavender oil. Nothing helps. I'm lying down now and they still come and go every few minutes.

I have no idea if this will help you, but I was taking magnesium fairly regularly and still had palpitations. The day I sprayed on magnesium oil they stopped. That was the first night I went to bed with a steady heart beat.

I wore a monitor for a month. My cardi said I actually have both rapid and then really low heart rate.

I have celiac and Hashimoto's and he suspects I have nerve damage from inflammation that is the cause.

I hope you find answers. It is not pleasant. I'm going through them right now because I had gluten a few weeks ago.

Where does one get magnesium spray? How much do you spray?

I agree. They are awful and worry inducing which makes them worse. I go through periods where I have them often. I had the EKG and cardiogram and Holter monitor and mine were benign also. My docs have all told me that it is pretty usual in woman who have had more than one child...there was a reason that made sense and I don't remember it.

They are also worse with my period - definitely hormone influenced. I would imagine yours are the same. If you are totally freaked out, then go. But all they are probably going to do is an EKG and recommend a Holter monitor.

Good luck. I have so much sympathy.

There are benign palpitations and there are dangerous palpitations. The only way to know which you are having is to do the Holter monitoring.

I went to my GP, she ordered an EKG (which of course showed nothing), so she ordered the 24 hour holter. The holter recorded a whole lot of atrial fibrillation, which needed to be addressed. I was then sent to the cardiologist, who ordered an echo and then sent me to the cardio electrophysiologist. She said I had 2 choices- I could go on medication, or I could have cardio ablation. She said leaving it untreated was not a good choice for me. I chose the ablation.

I still get occasional palpitations, and I also experience premature beats (skipped beats) every once in awhile, but it's nothing at the level it was.

My biggest triggers are lack of sleep, sugar and alcohol. Caffeine isn't really a problem for me, but i know it can be for others.

Get thee to a doctor, my dear.

I wore a monitor for a month. My cardi said I actually have both rapid and then really low heart rate.

I have celiac and Hashimoto's and he suspects I have nerve damage from inflammation that is the cause.

I hope you find answers. It is not pleasant. I'm going through them right now because I had gluten a few weeks ago.

Where does one get magnesium spray? How much do you spray?

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/products/magnesium-oil/

I've also bought magnesium chloride, and made my own (there are recipes online) and put it in my own spray bottle.

I have BTDT with the EKG, halter monitor, and heart ultrasound (echo) quite a few years ago, and everything showed fine. The one time when I went to the hospital the doctor suggested I close my mouth and pinch my nose closed, then bear down for several seconds (I usually do about 20 seconds, but I think fewer use to work). Try to think of something enjoyable that you did during the day, etc. After doing that, inhale deeply and try to relax - (I know, it's difficult.) Sometimes I have to do that a few times, but so far it has always worked. I am so grateful that the Lord allowed me to meet that doctor! There is a medical term for the "procedure", but I don't know what it is. (The bearing down is similiar to bearing down when using the toilet.)

I am not saying you shouldn't go to the doctor. I just hope that this might help you get rid of the strange heartbeats until you get to meet with a doctor. All the best! :grouphug:

I have BTDT with the EKG, halter monitor, and heart ultrasound (echo) quite a few years ago, and everything showed fine. The one time when I went to the hospital the doctor suggested I close my mouth and pinch my nose closed, then bear down for several seconds (I usually do about 20 seconds, but I think fewer use to work). :grouphug:

Feeling for you! I have occasional small episodes when I lay down at night. I also had a more scary episode a year ago, and I was given the advice about bearing down also. Hope some advice here like bearing down, or diet modifications makes your weekend better!

Did you get a blood test for Lyme disease? Sorry I always bring this up because this was one of the first symptoms I had. I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack at age 40. A very nice nurse there could see how scared I was (tests showed nothing wrong) and told me that when my heart started racing to "bear down" as if I was going to the bathroom and it would calm the heart down. I see others have mentioned that, too. There is something called a vagus nerve (pronounced like Vegas) that is connected to to the heart and can help lower your heartrate. I may not be explaining that right, but it did work and I felt instantly better.

I would say thyroid. I would also encourage you to check your nutrients. Are you getting enough magnesium? You really need to take more if you are having heart palpitations. It always helps mine. The holter monitor and countless EKGs and Echoes showed them, but they are benign. They were terrible when I had thyroiditis. I forget, but there's another vitamin supplement that is supposed to help, too.

Update

I went to the ER after having almost non stop palpitations with cough. They admitted me for 1 day and had tons of blood tests , chest xray,EKG and cardiac ultrasound. Thyroid is good as well as everything else. They wanted to put me on a blood thinner ,but I declined. My blood pressure is normal (100/60), cholesterol and triglycerides are low and I am active,not overweight .I couldn't understand the reason why they wanted me on a blood thinner when my blood is already thin enough! The nurse explainedthatthey do that as a routine to everybody. They also put me on a no salt diet, when my family doctor recommended the opposite since I tend to have low blood pressure. It's crazy!!!

I come from Europe and I am used to a more personalized care . Especially they do not give not blood thinner to everybody since it can have serious side effects.

Everything looked normal,so I requested to go home. I still have bad palpitations and it's hard to breath . I took the recommendation of some of you and bought magnesium, also calcium, valeriane,nothing helps! The palpitations seem to come especially when I move, and yes, they stop when I push down and hold my breath,but sometimes I am too tired to push. The diagnosis is supra ventricular tachycardia. If someone went through this, I'd appreciate any advice!

This may sound silly but do you think it could be acid reflux. I have had experiences with dizziness and irregular heart beats and my stomach felt fine, no pain, etc. Later it was discovered that I have acid reflux. When I got that cleared up the dizziness and skipping went away.

Update

I went to the ER after having almost non stop palpitations with cough. They admitted me for 1 day and had tons of blood tests , chest xray,EKG and cardiac ultrasound. Thyroid is good as well as everything else. They wanted to put me on a blood thinner ,but I declined. My blood pressure is normal (100/60), cholesterol and triglycerides are low and I am active,not overweight .I couldn't understand the reason why they wanted me on a blood thinner when my blood is already thin enough! The nurse explainedthatthey do that as a routine to everybody. They also put me on a no salt diet, when my family doctor recommended the opposite since I tend to have low blood pressure. It's crazy!!!

I come from Europe and I am used to a more personalized care . Especially they do not give not blood thinner to everybody since it can have serious side effects.

Everything looked normal,so I requested to go home. I still have bad palpitations and it's hard to breath . I took the recommendation of some of you and bought magnesium, also calcium, valeriane,nothing helps! The palpitations seem to come especially when I move, and yes, they stop when I push down and hold my breath,but sometimes I am too tired to push. The diagnosis is supra ventricular tachycardia. If someone went through this, I'd appreciate any advice!

Unfortunately ERs don't really lean towards diagnosis, just treatment of the immediate problem. I would contact your Doctor and request (demand if needed) a Holter Monitor. They can't really tell what type of palpitations you are having otherwise. There ARE treatments for it. If you cannot function normally, then something needs to be done.

Update

I had the exact same thing and same diagnosis. Let me ask you this - are you scared about this, or stressed, etc (and honestly, how could you not be)? All I could think about was what if I died of a heart attack, who would take care of my kids, what if something happened to me in front of them and my DH was at work, etc. and then guess what - the palpitations would continue and get worse. And then it was hard to breathe. And then my heart would beat even faster because I was scared that I couldn't breathe. Sometimes I wouldn't even realize I was stressing out until my heart would beat like crazy and I would realize I was thinking I was going to have a heart attack. The shortness of breath is very similar to a panic attack. I also had tingling in my fingers and around my mouth. Signs of a panic attack and/or hyperventilating.

Whenever you feel palpitations coming on, can you try some breathing exercises and remind yourself that all your tests were normal? That is what really helped me. Once I could tell myself all would be fine I really did calm down emotionally and my palpitations decreased.

And I implore you - please have your doctor test you for Lyme. I know so many people who had heart palpitations as the first and almost only sypmtom. I had all these symptoms (as well as tingling down my left arm) and the first thing my doctor did was full blood (everything normal) and then ordered a Lyme test. It wasn't until I had taken a full 21 days of antibiotics that my heart stopped palpitating.

I also found keeping busy would keep my mind off of my palpitations. I like to do big jigsaw puzzles and that gave me something to focus on. School went out the window for that week, and my kids did watch more TV that week than in the prior 12 months but I had to do something to keep my mind off of the situation.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I remember how scary it was.

I walk about 6 miles most mornings. One Sunday, the kids wanted to go to the roller rink a few hours later. We played on our blades for about 3 hours and I felt fine, absolutely normal. We walked out to the car, sat down, and my chest filled with spastic butterflies. I couldn't talk. I gagged down a bottle of water before it was finally done.

That had never happened before. I feel little butterflies frequently at bedtime, but this wasn't the same. My weight's fine. I have low cholesterol. My blood pressure's really low. The EKG and stress test were fine.

They put me on a Holter Monitor for 30 days. They found that I have Wolff–Parkinson–White. That means that instead of sqeezing side A, then B and starting over again, my heart occasionally skips one side's turn. That confuses it and it has a spastic loop until it gets back in gear. They said it's most likely no big deal. If it becomes an issue, they can run a tube up from my thigh to my heart and zap that additional route my heart's taking so that it has to do as it's told....

It gave me peace of mind, but I did get a $6000 bill for the testing. (doctor ordered it and thought it was necessary and insurance would cover it, but they didn't...) With health issues, I'll just take the bill. Better safe than sorry.

Update

You are right that blood thinners are serious, BUT, they prescribe that because whenever your heart is out-of-rhythm for any length of time your stroke risk increases. That really scared me. I took the blood thinners, had a cardiac ablation and eventually needed to come off of the thinners because of side effects. I could do that because my pressure also is low, but my doctor keeps me on the low-dose aspirin to be safe.

I hope that you will follow up your ER visit and find a good cardiologist to manage your care.

Kim

This is an enlightening thread. I never knew it could be hormonal! I have always gotten palpatations with anxiety, but last week, I also had them every day. The minute my cycle started, the palps stopped. Glad to know I am not alone.

I agree with others about the holter monitor. I have had several friends who have had to wear one and no one has complained. Best of luck to you...and thank you for posting this enlightening thread!

Have you started ANY new supplements or vitamins lately? If I try to take any, I get heart palpitations EVERY time. I don't even attempt to take vitamins anymore. Any natural herbs etc..??? All of this can bring on heart palpitations.:grouphug:

The only time I've ever had them is the few times I tried to take supplements. :001_huh:

May I suggest curcumin (active ingredient in tumeric - natural anti-inflammatory)? I've had recurrent pericarditis a couple of times. The difficulty breathing plus the palpitations are both symptoms I had. If you are having trouble breathing, your heart automatically has to work harder. Curcumin plus 800 mg. of Aleve was what I needed to bring down the inflammation in my chest. (I would not do the high doses of Aleve without discussing it with a doctor, but I would take the Curcumin and see if it helped.)

Have you started ANY new supplements or vitamins lately? If I try to take any, I get heart palpitations EVERY time. I don't even attempt to take vitamins anymore. Any natural herbs etc..??? All of this can bring on heart palpitations.:grouphug:

The only time I've ever had them is the few times I tried to take supplements. :001_huh:

:iagree: My palpitations got worse after being on Vitex for a while. And guess why I was taking it? To balance my hormones and relieve anxiety! Crazy.

Hormones, stress, worrying, lack of sleep, caffeine, sugar, ...list goes on. I think they can be caused by many things. My cardiologist said they weren't a concern, but they can be very worrisome. Some people have hundreds a day. I usually don't have more than a couple per week now, but I was getting more some years back. He also suggested eating more bananas (potassium). I find that relaxing with water helps me.