Menu

New braces, Pain, What to do?

Joker

Oldest had braces put on today, and is quite uncomfortable. I've given her 3 Motrin since 2pm (she had two at 2pm and one at 8pm). She rarely takes any pain/fever meds so I was hoping it would help, but it isn't. She looks miserable. She's always had a low tolerance for pain, but braces were needed. Her mouth is so small, and her teeth are so crowded. Is there anything, any tricks or advice, that might help? TIA!

What's your Motrin dosage? She may need more. You could also try Dramamine.

I always give Ibruprophen before we leave for the appointment. The kid is rather upside down when they are put on, so the inner ear fluid is disturbed. There is also swelling from the actual braces.

Anything that helps with swellling and motion sickness, depending on the person.

We've been fine with Tylenol or Aleve. But give it before the appointment, and with food. At bedtime, perhaps another dose.

Ibruprophen before you leave for the appointment. You're kind of upside down when they are put on, so the inner ear fluid is disturbed. There is also swelling from the actual braces.

Anything that helps with swellling and motion sickness, depending on the person.

We've been fine with Tylenol or Aleve. But give it before the appointment, and with food. At bedtime, perhaps another dose.

I so wish I knew to give it before she had them put on. :glare: I didn't know that until afterward when I was looking into how to help her. She's just so uncomfortable. She's going to try and sleep now.

How old is she? If she's over 12, you can give her the full adult dose of 800mg every six to eight hours. No more than three doses per day at that strength. The anti-inflammatory effects of ibuprofen don't even begin until you take 800mg.

Honestly, the dosage you've given her is going to be virtually ineffective.

Ugh, poor thing. I know that pain.. I had braces for a few years. I wish I had some secret trick for the pain.. but it just stinks!

Bad news: Unfortunately, it may get worse.. once they start using powerchains/rubber bands.

Good news: It should only last a few days.

When shes in pain she may not want to eat.. but it always seemed like it helped to eat something. Your mouth is so sensitive that you don't want to chew but the pressure helps, Idk.

I had the same issue. Small, crowded mouth. I had to have 11 teeth pulled (4 permenant) before braces were able to be put on. I hope for her sake she didnt go through that:001_smile:

Dd took Aleve which helped some. She was in so much pain during the first day that she wanted to take off the braces! After two days, she was fine. She has experienced just a bit of pain with adjustments. I hope your daughter will feel better soon.

Edited by 1Togo

How old is she? If she's over 12, you can give her the full adult dose of 800mg every six to eight hours. No more than three doses per day at that strength. The anti-inflammatory effects of ibuprofen don't even begin until you take 800mg.

Yes. Pain relief is important.

She'll be 13 the first of the year, and is about 105lbs. Can she have a full adult dose?

She'll be 13 the first of the year, and is about 105lbs. Can she have a full adult dose?

Yes. Twelve and older is considered an adult...medication wise. Give it to her on a full stomach. And of course, you can always call your pharmacy and ask them about it to double check. The pharmacist should be able to help you with any medication dosage questions you might have.

Yes. Twelve and older is considered an adult...medication wise. Give it to her on a full stomach. And of course, you can always call your pharmacy and ask them about it to double check. The pharmacist should be able to help you with any medication dosage questions you might have.

Thank you! I always forget about the difference in the Rx doses we were given when dh was in the Marine Corps vs. what is listed on the OTC bottles. There's quite a difference (at least there was 14 years ago). She's trying to sleep now. If she can't, I'll try to have her eat something and give her another dose.