Menu

Anyone else trying to survive a teenage daughter? (jawm please)

She has a good heart at her core, but holy moly her self-centeredness lately has been ridiculous. I'm one that bends over backwards for my kids and I have had to just reign in my generosity since she's been such a pill.

My oldest teen son was not perfect, but he was always open and loving toward me. Not so with dd right now. :glare:

:grouphug: I am dreading those years, I know it is going to be hard. My DD is only 6 and already has that sassy girl thing going on, I can't even imagine how she'll be at 12. And I know the things I did and said. I was a very good girl in general, but just mean to my family. I definitely feel bad about it now. So my payback is coming!

Love the T shirt!! :lol:

How old is she? Because they fall into pit at 14 and don't really climb out until they're about 16. After that it's much better. Hang on, you're in for a ride. :auto:

Nooooooo!!!! Say it ain't so! (Actually I think my own mother said this about me--that I was lucky to see 15).

My daughter is so much nicer then I was at that age. Sometimes she will do something bratty and I will just cringe because I know I was just horrible when I was a teenager. Ugh! The things I did and said and thought make me sick now, especially since my parents have passed away. I wish I could have changed so many things!! But I grew up, and your daughter and mine will too. I just don't let my daughter get away with ANY back talk, no rolling eyes, no closing doors when I'm talking to her- not ever. I think she's giving up on it, the times that she is bratty, because she's in for a 10 minute lecture on everything I've ever done for her and how she's being so bratty. Haha!! Good luck!

p.s. My very wise sister used to say, "God makes teenagers bratty so that you will WANT to cut the apron strings when it's time. Otherwise, we would just hold on to them forever." True that!

I have two. My dds just turned 14. One of them actually isn't too bad. Her twin however, has been a teenager since birth. We used to tell people she was 1 going on 16. OMGosh, I feel sorry for dd1 having to have her for a sister!

Oh, and I have always been told they don't climb out of it til their 20's. I hope I survive that long.

How old is she? Because they fall into pit at 14 and don't really climb out until they're about 16. After that it's much better. Hang on, you're in for a ride. :auto:

Oh, yeah. If I walk on egg shells and am not my annoying self then she is much more tolerable. :tongue_smilie: I'm just much more annoying than I every dreamed. LOL

My daughter is so much nicer then I was at that age. Sometimes she will do something bratty and I will just cringe because I know I was just horrible when I was a teenager. Ugh! The things I did and said and thought make me sick now, especially since my parents have passed away. I wish I could have changed so many things!! But I grew up, and your daughter and mine will too. I just don't let my daughter get away with ANY back talk, no rolling eyes, no closing doors when I'm talking to her- not ever. I think she's giving up on it, the times that she is bratty, because she's in for a 10 minute lecture on everything I've ever done for her and how she's being so bratty. Haha!! Good luck!

p.s. My very wise sister used to say, "God makes teenagers bratty so that you will WANT to cut the apron strings when it's time. Otherwise, we would just hold on to them forever." True that!

Very true! I was much worse, but I also didn't have the involvement that my dd has. I also agree that it helps cut apron strings. My ds was wonderful, not perfect, and he put us through fits the last few months. Finally, he got cold feet about university and needed a nudge. He is so stinking happy now at college. :D

:grouphug: I am dreading those years, I know it is going to be hard. My DD is only 6 and already has that sassy girl thing going on, I can't even imagine how she'll be at 12. And I know the things I did and said. I was a very good girl in general, but just mean to my family. I definitely feel bad about it now. So my payback is coming!

Love the T shirt!! :lol:

It may not be so bad, although I've heard high maintenance young girls are high maintenance teens. Just so you know this dd was very low maintenance. She's not super high maint. now but she is easily annoyed. :)

I have a 12yo dd. I just don't know if I will survive. I know people survive hormonal daughters, but I think they must be on some seriously good drugs.

The good news is that daughters stick around more from what I've seen and read. If we can survive them we may become their friends. I really hope so.

Really??? Yeah!!!! I hope it holds true for dd. She is a great girl, but she's so opposite of me in many ways. I don't get much drama of other girls, clothes, or such. Hers comes out over school more than anything else. It is better than last year, though, so maybe the "16 thing" being on the horizon is going to work!

Hanging in until January when we see 16. I'm not sure we'll make it that far.

My sister just moved near me. Her oldest is a few months older than mine. So, I now have local family support, BUT I also have ANOTHER angsty, artsy teen in my life.

When my dd (now 18) was 13-16 I didn't think both of us were going to make it through. She would say hurtful, horrible things to me on a daily basis. She now calls me daily from college to tell me how much she loves me and how glad she is that I am her mom. Our biggest problem was we are too much alike.

My currently 15yo dd is a different story. A completely different personality and I have much thicker skin this time around. The 15 yo and dh are personality twins, so I know how to handle her. She drives him bonkers.

My almost 10 yo dd is like the 18yo on personality steroids. I am terrified of her teenage years. I may need meds.

I think I am going to be too tired to parent by the time ds gets to that age.

Hugs from the trenches,

Amber in SJ

My oldest dd was an angel as a young teen and throughout most of her teen years. Very sweet, very gentle and very helpful with chores and keeping up with her schooling.

Then she turned 19 and started college ( still lived at home) and boy did the "attitude" come big time !

She and I knocked heads constantly and had lots of "turf battles" as she declared her independence from us. She was scarcastic, snotty and liked to point out what I was doing wrong all the time.

She was like this until she moved out at 21 and got married, slowly she changed and moved into a semi-normal person and became more humble again.

Now she is 24 and a mother to a little whirlwind baby girl (15 months) who is going through the terrible twos a little early. Her own daughter keeps her hopping and always on her toes. My daughter is now a real sweetheart again, she is my best friend again, she is on the phone with me for several hours a day and lives just 3 or 4 blocks away from us.

We get along great now and are all super close, but those years of 19 to 21 were horrid !

Hang in there, they do return to being human eventually !

I have a marriage & family therapist friend who used to tell me that teenagers are an optical illusion. They look like big people and so we expect big people behavior out of them when in fact their brains are suddenly more like toddler brains. This helped me. I reminded myself daily that I had survived the terrible twos and I could survive this too.

I also called my mom and apologized, many, many times. My mom would always say;

"Oh honey, I don't remember that. It wasn't that bad." When I know it was. This would give me hope that, much like the pain of childbirth, I would forget the bad parts of raising teenagers.

Amber in SJ

I've got a 13yo here, 14 next month.

I told her the other day, "We can work hard and make the best of the next few years, or we can set up our battle lines right now and be absolutely miserable. My job is to do everything I can to mold you into a person who has a good chance at being a happy, well-educated, productive, well-adjusted adult. I plan to do my job or die trying. If you are smart, you will make the most of this time and learn all you can. If you are not smart, you can work really hard to alienate someone who has your best interests at heart, who knows much more about the world than you do, and who holds your purse strings. I suggest you be smart about this." (I was on a rampage!)

I do sometimes get the attitude stuff, but more often what drives me insane is the lack of personal responsiblity. Hair ties strewn all over every room in the house. Shoes here, a sock there. A magazine left on the floor. Procrastinating regarding finishing a project and then crying the blues and implying that I didn't do my part to help her finish. I am sure that this, too, shall pass. But it is mighty irritating while it is still lingering around.