Menu

New homeschool mom with question about phonics/spelling with a 1st grader

kdownie

My dd is in first grade, though she can read a bit above grade-level.

We will be using either Phonics Pathways or The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading to continue with her phonics development. There are lots of words she can read but doesn't know the phonics rule behind.

The problem is that I'm not sure what to do about spelling. She can read words that she isn't even close to spelling, since we haven't gotten to all the rules. A lot of the reading she has just picked up naturally because she enjoys it so much.

Do I start with a spelling program (like AAS or similar) at the beginning, and let her advance in her phonics book at a faster rate ? Or do I move slowly through the phonics books, teaching her the rules and how to spell the words? If we were working on just reading in PP or OPGTR, she would likely be moving much faster.

Does that make any sense? My husband says I'm over-thinking all of this, since she's just 6. I really want her to have the most solid foundation possible. Thank you for any input.

With my ds, who could read way above his spelling level, I began AAS at the beginning and am just moving quickly through the steps. To have done reading lessons with a kid who can read Boxcar Children, just didn't make sense. And I think he'd find it boring. But AAS does use phonics, so it will help with anything she might be missing in that area. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :D

:iagree: I did something similar. We flew through AAS 1 but I think it was important just to go through the rules and start from the beginning. It doesn't take a lot of time but you can feel like you covered it all. Have you looked at Explode the Code workbooks? (to use instead of OPGTR) They cover a lot of material and can also be some extra handwriting practice if he needs it.

You could use Reading Pathways (same author as Phonics Pathways) for your phonics. Going through that would give you a good idea if there are any areas of her phonics that need work.

You could also go through the free Blend Phonics for any areas that need improvement. http://blendphonics.org/

I keep phonics and spelling somewhat separate. I just do AAS and go at their pace and still do phonics instruction too.

We tried Ordinary Parents. It did not work for me - way too scripted. We've loved PP for 2 kids and they are both strong readers. We also use all 8 levels of Explode the Code which takes us through about 3rd grade. We then start spelling - focusing on reading first and then getting into the spelling.

I do think that if you do want spelling you could even use PP as a starting spelling program. Go fast w/ the reading for phonics and go slower for the spelling (so you'd be on 2 different pages)

Best of luck

We tried Ordinary Parents. It did not work for me - way too scripted. We've loved PP for 2 kids and they are both strong readers. We also use all 8 levels of Explode the Code which takes us through about 3rd grade. We then start spelling - focusing on reading first and then getting into the spelling.

I do think that if you do want spelling you could even use PP as a starting spelling program. Go fast w/ the reading for phonics and go slower for the spelling (so you'd be on 2 different pages)

Best of luck

:iagree:There is instructions in PP for how to use it for spelling.

Have you heard about the philosophy in which you teach the child to read by teaching her how to spell first? I am using Spell to Write and Read with my kiddos, and I wish I had known about this when I was teaching my older child to read. Reading was rather intuitive for her, but has she has gotten to more advanced words, she has developed a bad guessing habit. This program is slowly getting her to stop and really look at unfamiliar words. And it turns out that my 4yo has an even stronger tendency to memorize and guess the words, so this program is even better for him. I am so glad that that I have it to teach him to read.

Personally, I taught reading first, and once we were pretty well into that, we started AAS and it serves as phonetic review as well now that she's reading fluently. I find decoding (reading) came much more quickly for her than encoding (spelling).

:iagree: Same here with my two sons.

I haven't read all your replies so this could be repetitive.....

My 1st grader is halfway through OPGTR.....We do AAS, too. Ds is almost finished with AAS1.....Some things from AAS1 are a review of previous lessons in OPGTR but it has worked fine. We just started plugging our AAS words into Spelling City and my 1st grader works on that while I'm working with my girls. He also wanted to finish up his ETC 3 book, but he does that in the car or on his down time. Happily, using OPGTR and AAS has not been an overload for my ds. They are pretty short and to the point lessons which he likes. Feel free to check out what my 1st grader is doing on our homeschool blog in my sig.